Amount

Season 4 to start later than Arrowverse shows?

13 May 2018 14:19 #59462 by five_red
Nothing confirmed yet, but the work commitments of various cast members, notably Melissa Benoist herself, suggest that production on the next season of Supergirl will start later than previous years. It is possible, therefore, that the show may be being pencilled in for a late (perhaps post-Christmas?) season debut -- no announcement yet though! Given that CW bosses have already expressed concern at having five superhero shows running simultaneously (one of the excuses given for the second hiatus of Supergirl), this may make sense. If true, then any crossovers will either happen after the new year or won't feature Supergirl significantly.

Warning: Spoiler!

R5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 May 2018 14:31 #59463 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Season 4 to start later than Arrowverse shows?
Personally I wouldn't mind having more shows with 13 episodes season telling thighter stories and rotating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
13 May 2018 20:04 #59465 by willow
I agree that the standard 22 episode season leaves a lot to be desired with lack-luster episodes. I have to admit that during the last season of Arrow I lost interest barely 10 episodes in. I just skipped ahead to the last couple of episodes of the season. Funny enough, it was clear that I did not miss much. One of the benefits for waiting for the CW shows to hit Netflix. First two seasons were the best, but it has been a slow march downhill since then.

I still think CW is over-saturating their market. They should do what Netflix does. Release a 10 or 13 episode season for one or two shows at the same time, then when those seasons end swap out for two other similar shows. So something like Flash and Legends during Fall only to swap for Supergirl and Arrow in Spring. Then Black Lightening and something else in Summer. Then pepper each show with cameos of characters from other shows. Actors get time off to do other projects, network lessens viewer burnout, and writers can work to developing tighter scripts.

One thing that struck me watching the last few episodes of Arrow's season was that the fight choreographers just seemed tired and sloppy by the end. When I mean sloppy, I mean like the "henchmen who just falls over without being punched in Dark Knight Rises" bad. It gives the image of someone saying "that was terrible. Should we setup for another take?" with the Director responding "Fuck it, Last two episodes of the season, let's just get this done and over with."
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
13 May 2018 20:10 #59466 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Season 4 to start later than Arrowverse shows?
I'd be shocked if this happens, especially with the annual November crossover being such a ratings hit. Guess we'll see in a couple months.

More
14 May 2018 00:23 #59468 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 4 to start later than Arrowverse shows?
I too agree that these shows should switch to a tighter 13-episode season.

Across all the shows, there are blatant filler episodes that drag the season down. Having a smaller number of episodes would allow a faster paced narrative, as well as allowing for a bigger budget per episode.

Perhaps it has something to do with hitting a certain number of episodes per season due to being on "cable/network" tv?

Netflix doesn't have this constraint. Some seasons are 10, some 12, some 13, some 8. The strangest I've seen was runtime of episodes being different in Mindhunter. You had some episodes around the 45min and some around the 1 hr mark. But then there was one that was 35 mins or so. Like it just ended OO. And tbh, thats pretty cool. No filler. Just get on with the damn story :D

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds