Amount

Reign not the real villain of season 3?

01 Jun 2018 17:54 #59665 by andyf
The official episode distription of 3x22 and 3x23 seem to imply that Reign may not be the real villain of season 3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2018 18:11 #59666 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
no Kara's mother is.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Jun 2018 18:15 #59668 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?

fats wrote: no Kara's mother is.

Fats

What makes you think that, Fats?

• andyf
More
01 Jun 2018 18:16 #59669 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?

no Kara's mother is.

Fats

That would be a FANTASTIC twist :D

Nice thinking : ) 

Peace.

/K

More
01 Jun 2018 18:39 #59670 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
she's getting kara back to be with her, and she will launch an attack on earth using reign as her opening salvo, expect to see kara either kill her mother or banish her to the phantom zone and return to earth.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Jun 2018 18:52 - 01 Jun 2018 18:54 #59671 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
More likely, Se renaa aka the Dark Kryptonian is the real villain
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 18:54 by andyf.

• andyf
More
01 Jun 2018 21:07 - 01 Jun 2018 21:08 #59673 by theomach
Replied by theomach on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
An interesting theory, things aren't always as they appear to be. Alura being the true villain would surely be an unforseen turn of events.That however would beg the question, why?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 21:08 by theomach.

More
01 Jun 2018 22:07 #59675 by kikass2014

That however would beg the question, why?

With the amount of episodes left to go, assuming Kara's mother is the big bad, it would be a nice cliffhanger to explore the "why" in season 4.

Like I say, I have no idea what the ending is gonna be, but I think its an interesting theory by Fats : )

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

More
02 Jun 2018 03:14 #59678 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?

fats wrote: she's getting kara back to be with her, and she will launch an attack on earth using reign as her opening salvo, expect to see kara either kill her mother or banish her to the phantom zone and return to earth.

Fats

too much of a rehash of last season's use of Mon-El's mother as the big bad(same motives and all). more likely than not, it'll be the priestess who is the major threat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach, kikass2014, andyf

More
02 Jun 2018 09:12 #59679 by kikass2014
^ Good point.  And totally agree.

I keep going back to what Mon-El said about they don't "defeat Reign" but in time she leaves.  I have a feeling the ending isn't gonna be a brawl between Reign and Supergirl.  Though the next episode sure looks like one :D

Looking ward to it :D

Peace.

/K

More
02 Jun 2018 18:22 #59683 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?

kikass2014 wrote: ^ Good point.  And totally agree.

I keep going back to what Mon-El said about they don't "defeat Reign" but in time she leaves.  I have a feeling the ending isn't gonna be a brawl between Reign and Supergirl.  Though the next episode sure looks like one :D

Looking ward to it :D

Peace.

/K

Missing all the action here in the UK! :(

More
04 Jun 2018 01:32 #59701 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
I think that Reign will either be cured or she will "escape" to somewhere else to still be a potential threat in the future which will most likely never happen.  I am quite sure there will a couple for fights between SG and Reign.  Still wonder if SG has been tricked into getting the black rock.  Will Lena turn to the dark side?  Has her mother been turned to the dark side?  How will they keep all of the Kandor folks from overwhelming Earth and taking control of it?  That would be a good season ender.  Stay tuned  to SG to find out!

More
04 Jun 2018 01:37 #59702 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
Oh yea.  And maybe the world that will be killed is Kandor.

More
04 Jun 2018 17:56 #59706 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?

ace191 wrote: Oh yea.  And maybe the world that will be killed is Kandor.

Minor correction: It's Argo City.

My one knock on the episode is that it took so long before Supergirl and Mon-El saw Kryptonian and she recognized the dress and language.  Unless some unversal translater was blurring that for them.  But you'd think you'd learn the difference between a translator and it not being translated.  But it's a minor nitpick.

I to tend to believe that is the safest storytelling method is to destroy Argo City.  THe Daxamites are handled by too much lead in the atmoshpere, so they can't come back.   But a city full of Kryptonians refugees?  If I were a floating in a city in space barely getting by ... and I found there was a planet where i'd have godlike powers and a lush green planet to live on, I'd be pretty interested in going there.  I wouldn't even be bent on conquest, but I'd also have so much power that it'd be hard not to unduly take advantage when pushed.  It's just natural to leave a dying city adrift in space for a good planet filled with people who look like you. Even if they find some other planet it'll have the same problems unless it's un-inhabitied and then Earth would look pretty good.  Why go to a planet where you have to work really hard for years to get anywhere when you could just go to Earth and be a god? If they have powers on the new world that'd be one thing, but eventually lots would end up on Earth though sheer curiosity.

The only way to get rid of them is for Lena to use Lex's device in it's initial configruation: put Kryptonite into the air. Which ends up getting rid of Superman and Supergirl.   (Well, unless Mon-El goes "well I have a sample of the serum that cured me of lead, and it also cures kryptonians from Krytonite.")

And, most of Kryptonians would be just fine, especially for awhile.  But then they'd see injustice (as defined by their cutulture or experience) and start forcing things.  Imagine a well meaning environmental warrior who went through the collapse of Krypton being in the United States and seeing what we do to the planet.  Or someone who sees Earth civ as fractured and inelegant, not meeting humanty's needs.  Repeat with a million variations as "mostly a good person, but is now driven to use their powers on a planetary scale, and might pull 100's of others with them".  They'll end up using Force to help get their way, and that makes them villians and needing to be stopped ... and almost impossible for Kara to do so.

And then, there is going to be at least a few bad eggs, esp in a city filled with trauma.

The Earth 10 years after getting Argo City would be hugely different from our Earth, though a great premise for a sci-fi story.  OTH, having Supergirl be a hero in that environment is tough, but doable.  Even "next season" woudl be diffiuclt to write as by the end the story is horrible unless you get rid of the people from Argo City, and there is almost no way they'd want to leave.

This was handled a bit in the comic Invincible.  There cultural forces were used to keep them inline ... and then they becasme used to Earth and it changed them. (Which is actually the first part of the story back in Invincible #1, as he's the offsprint of a scout sent to observer and later take over the planet for his race.)

DC tends to ignore the deeper story, and when Kandor was saved and there was a city full of Kyrptonians near Earth, they pretty much glossed over things.  Either humans can kill Kryptonians (even with difficulty) or they'll overun the planet.  And if they can, Superman WOULD be killed.

Then DC rebooted the entire universe, solving the problem by making it go away.  It'd be a GREAT Elseworlds story, but it just can't fit into the mainline storytelling else is warps all the other stories.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
04 Jun 2018 18:30 - 04 Jun 2018 18:31 #59707 by kikass2014
I agree Twice.

I would extend that and say that that is a problem with the power set and level of Kryptonians in general imo.  Sure, when you have 1 in the universe (ala the last son of krypton), it works.  And you can create good stories around that.

When you have a planet of them (even a small city), and they NEED a place, else their just a floating rock through space, it becomes a problem for exactly the reasons you outline.

Will be interesting to see how the writers handle that, or if its just mere hand-waving and they carry on by.

Peace.

/K

P.S.  Personally, I don't mind if they go the hand-waving on this subject.  I'm not that invested in the universe that it would be a problem. 
Last edit: 04 Jun 2018 18:31 by kikass2014.

More
04 Jun 2018 18:35 - 04 Jun 2018 18:38 #59708 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
Just give them Antarctica, which they can survive, to build out the way they want. They then work to slowly integrate into life on Earth. A Kryptonite Doomsday weapon could be prepared that would ensure their cooperation. 

(Or let them colonize Mars, which they should be capable of.)

Kryptonians with the right attitude would be immensely useful on Earth. Think of all the problems that could be solved without spending billions of dollars. A few hundred Krypts could build a dam, for instance, or remove one to free a river. Remove all the plastic waste from the oceans. Dramatically improve the space programs of all countries by doing the heavy lifting and/or traveling with astronauts to other planets to keep them safe. There are uncounted other examples one could come up with without their getting into politics or international affairs. 

And even if they did, perhaps under the auspices of the UN, a group of "protectors" could ensure that no wars are allowed. By anyone.  End the fighting, and then force compromise and negotiation between parties. That would be a dream. Earth without wars. 

But this implies that Krypts are honorable and that they'll police any of their people who stray. Given Argo City's peaceful history, I could imagine this working. In any case, it would make for a great storyline. 

Shadar
Last edit: 04 Jun 2018 18:38 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays, Monty

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Jun 2018 19:05 #59709 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Reign not the real villain of season 3?
[quote="kikass2014" post=59707
Will be interesting to see how the writers handle that, or if its just mere hand-waving and they carry on by.

Peace.

/K

P.S.  Personally, I don't mind if they go the hand-waving on this subject.  I'm not that invested in the universe that it would be a problem. [/quote]

I don't mind hand-waving either.   I have a harder time with it's when it's about People and characterization, but if you just try to forget about Argo, it's ok.

Though I can't accept that Supergirl wouldn't want to regularly visit her mother, and that keeps it into play enough that it'd start to bug me about why more didn't come to Earth.

More
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds