Season 3 - AV Club Article

07 Jun 2018 22:48 #59765 by Markiehoe
Season 3 - AV Club Article was created by Markiehoe
Supergirl’s third season has officially gone off the rails
www.msn.com/en-us/tv/recaps/supergirl%e2...s/ar-AAyeDIU?ocid=sf

This is from MSN....The AV Club
Which could be called a Millenial themed site
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Jun 2018 22:53 #59766 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 3 - AV Club Article
Yup read that also.

Interesting read tbh.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
07 Jun 2018 23:07 #59767 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Season 3 - AV Club Article
Good article. I know for a fact Supergirl writers have talent and imagination, but if you watched the recent episodes you'd be hard pressed to identify it. I imagine being a writer on Supergirl is like trying to write a good story with a group of 5 people. You need a place to write it and you need funding to get it to the world. Thankfully your Grandma has offered you all those things.

Problem is - One of your writers is a complete idiot. And your Grandma insists that you should focus on butterflies as some of the plot points and Implies you'll lose her funding if you don't comply. One of the writers thinks this ridiculous....but the one Idiot loves the idea. So the consensus becomes 'Umm I suppose we could try that?"

End result.....SUPERGIRL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: willow, shadar, Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
07 Jun 2018 23:37 - 07 Jun 2018 23:37 #59768 by kikass2014

Good article. I know for a fact Supergirl writers have talent and imagination, but if you watched the recent episodes you'd be hard pressed to identify it. I imagine being a writer on Supergirl is like trying to write a good story with a group of 5 people. You need a place to write it and you need funding to get it to the world. Thankfully your Grandma has offered you all those things.

Problem is - One of your writers is a complete idiot. And your Grandma insists that you should focus on butterflies as some of the plot points and Implies you'll lose her funding if you don't comply. One of the writers thinks this ridiculous....but the one Idiot loves the idea. So the consensus becomes 'Umm I suppose we could try that?"

End result.....SUPERGIRL!

AHAHAHAHA :D :D :D :D

Personally, I wouldn't go that far, I think a few since the hiatus have been good imo, I do take your general point :D

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 07 Jun 2018 23:37 by kikass2014.

More
08 Jun 2018 01:14 #59769 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Season 3 - AV Club Article
The decline in writing could be from Andrew Kriesberg and Greg Berlanti serving a temp co-showrunner.

More
08 Jun 2018 01:28 #59770 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Season 3 - AV Club Article
George RR Martin has stated that he had the same problems when writing for Beauty and the Beast. The GoT showrunners have also created bad plotholes or mediocre story arcs when trying to do their own thing and ignoring George's advice.

As George said in an interview, "We write a pretty good episode that the producers hate for unknown reasons. So we now have to spend the weekend writing a replacement episode so the crew can start filming on Tuesday."

More
08 Jun 2018 01:37 #59771 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Season 3 - AV Club Article
thankfully there's only two episodes left in the season. hopefully they'll get their acts together during the summer hiatus.

More
08 Jun 2018 09:24 #59773 by kikass2014

The decline in writing could be from Andrew Kriesberg and Greg Berlanti serving a temp co-showrunner.

Kriesberg is no longer there (due to the allegations).  And tbh, the decline started once he left.  Like I've said before, perhaps his influence on the show was more then perceived?

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

More
08 Jun 2018 14:51 #59778 by andyf
   Berlanti is involved with so many shows that maybe he can't give Supergirl  his undivided attention and it harms the shows writing.   What's even worse about his season is the lack of Supergurl using her powers. She hardly even flux anymore.  It seems like all the Arrowverse shows had their production budgets cut and Supwrgirl was the hardest hit.  Why would the CD cut the budgets of its most popular and profitable shows?

More
08 Jun 2018 18:58 #59779 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 3 - AV Club Article

andyf wrote:    Berlanti is involved with so many shows that maybe he can't give Supergirl  his undivided attention and it harms the shows writing.   What's even worse about his season is the lack of Supergurl using her powers. She hardly even flux anymore.  It seems like all the Arrowverse shows had their production budgets cut and Supwrgirl was the hardest hit.  Why would the CD cut the budgets of its most popular and profitable shows?

Presumably they feel they can cut the costs and retain their viewers given they think most of them are wired into the drama and not the powers and special effects (or apparently good story telling). A good way to make more profit if it works. 

If it does work, then this will be the new formula. Not encouraging.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
08 Jun 2018 20:05 #59781 by andyf
The shows budget as no route cut in season 2. But, along all the DC shows cut even more in season 3. It seems like a lot of the fx budget is going to Reign.There are so few memorable of Super girl using her powers this season.  Almost no major feats of power. This is the worst thing about season three it you ask me.

More
14 Jun 2018 11:29 - 14 Jun 2018 11:31 #59842 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Season 3 - AV Club Article

shadar wrote: Presumably they feel they can cut the costs and retain their viewers given they think most of them are wired into the drama and not the powers and special effects (or apparently good story telling). A good way to make more profit if it works. 

If it does work, then this will be the new formula. Not encouraging.

Shadar

It seems like they are re-using special effects shots, if  this tweet  is to be believed, so budget may have been an issue for season three.

With some of the regular cast apparently leaving or being reduced to recurring/guest roles (the three blokes, Jeremy, Mehcad and David, rumour has it) this might free up some budget. I've no idea who gets paid what, but I'm assuming that when deals were inked with the season one regulars it was on the basis that they were starring on a prime-time major network show with a wage to reflect that.

A concern that I've voiced elsewhere that might have impacted on the back end of season three is the remaining showrunners. Rovner and Queller are highly experienced writers and producers, but their only sci-fi/fantasy experience is Rovner's seven episodes on the Bionic Woman reboot. Their disgraced colleague was the 'comicbook' nerd who had the comicbook/sci-fi writing background. For season four it may help them to bring on an extra showrunner -- someone of the ilk of Sterling Gates perhaps(?) -- who has more hands-on comicbook genre experience, particularly if they're having to be creative on a tight budget.

R5
Last edit: 14 Jun 2018 11:31 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
14 Jun 2018 14:16 #59844 by kikass2014
I seem to remember reading somewhere that season 4 will have new writers, with Gates being mentioned.

I'm personally waiting for the SDCC panel before I decide if I will be tuning in (same with The Flash).

Peace.

/K

More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds