Amount

Season 3 x 22 Make It Reign

12 Jun 2018 12:08 #59811 by kikass2014
Season 3 x 22 Make It Reign was created by kikass2014
Overall, a excellent episode imo, mired by one "small-ish" (yet so dumb) problem.  Which I will get too in a bit :D

The episode was really great.  From the opening scene of Carl and Chyler having that exchange (brilliant scene) to a true comic book ending :D

Carl Lumbly was, not for the first this season, outstanding.  His scene, like I mentioned, with Chyler at the beginning of the episode was simply great to watch.  An epic goodbye.

And then the cross-cutting plot between two worlds.  Really well paced imo, and constantly kept moving forward.  In fact, I don't think there was any filler plot in this episode.  It was just relentless.  Characters grew and had some cool moments while moving the story forward. In fact I think ALL the characters in the show had a moment in this episode.  And it didn't really feel forced.

On top of that, in this season we can add one more thing.  We have Supergirl.  A superwoman.  Then Reign.  Then Purity and Pestilence.  Three evil superwomen.  Now we can add three super-milfs :D 

Personally, I didn't expect that development in this seasons plot lol :D  Nice touch with one of them quoting Ursa :D  And I think one of them quote Zod later on in the episode.  Geek points for that :D

And we got to see Alura in a costume too (do all aliens just happen to have "costumes" in their closets?:):P

Now on to one of the stupidest things ever - Winn's "none-lethal" weapons.  LOL if the real-world had that, they could say "We are getting rid of guns and replacing them with these items" and EVERYONE would be ok with it.  A shield that makes you immune?????  It took THREE kryptonian vision blasts to take the guy out!!!!!

And then we get on to Alex's fight :(  Seriously, do you need Supergirl after that?  Shooting a kryptionian with kryptionite bullets?  Fine, that kinda makes sense.  But punching them with kryptonite gloves??  And blasting them with krpytonite radiation from said gloves?????  Wut?? That whole sequence was so dumb.

But then we get back to the plot, because luckily, that was not the stupid finale of the season lol. :D

I loved the scene of Reign flying into the flame pit holding that sword.  Great scene :D  And Supergirl flying the opposite way to meet her.

Looking forward to the finale next week :P

Kudos Team Supergirl :P

Peace.

/K

P.S. Seeing this episode makes me wish that they didn't waste so many on time-wasting filler episodes and built up the terrforming (and the evil witches) plot from the beginning more.  Learn to plot and pace better for next season Team Supergirl lol :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Markiehoe, theomach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Jun 2018 13:12 #59812 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 22 Make It Reign
I too enjoyed this episode very much.
A rockin roller coaster of an episode with plenty of action and story which moved the main plot forward.
I really dig Alura's costume.
Perfectly suited for ActionGirl/ High Ranking Council Member/ Respectable Mother.

OK, lets talk my two problems.
The show spends a whole lotta time building up the World Killers only to have them dis[patched.
The show then replaces them with Three other women.
One is a Councilwoman and two others we know nothing about.
Here is a thought.
Tell us who these other women are instead of pointless filler episodes.

OK...My big gripe.
NON LETHAL WEAPONS
We see Alex, the deputy head of the now Non Lethal DEO, be placed in charge this episode.
Her first act when the Kryptonians arrive?
Shoot them with Kryptonite bullets designed to kill Kryptonions.
Use Kryptonite gloves, laced with kryptonite which I have to remind the writers kills Kryptonions,
She uses what looks like full force blows on the three Kryptoinian witches.
Hmmmmm......
If the entire DEO was armed with Kryptonite weapons maybe the Witches could have been defeated during their assault.
This could have been the finale of the series.
Looks like thousands of Humans all over the world are going to die during this terraforming process.
Remind me please.
Who got rid of all the Kryptonite weapons last season?
Who promised to defend the Earth again?

In this episode the DEO mourn the death of one agent who gave his life heroically.
There were a dozen other agents that received Kryptonian blows early in the attack.
I guess they all got better.

M'ymn steps up and volunteers to defend Earth interrupting a process that was very important to him and the last survivors of the Martian race.
He is a hero in every sense of the word.
The writers should be proud with how they have handled him and his fate
I love this character and will be sad to see him go.

A good episode which could have been a great episode with one more pass over the script.

I'll qoute Kikass:
P.S. Seeing this episode makes me wish that they didn't waste so many on time-wasting filler episodes and built up the terrforming (and the evil
witches) plot from the beginning more.  Learn to plot and pace better
for next season Team Supergirl lol

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach, kikass2014

More
12 Jun 2018 20:25 #59816 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Season 3 x 22 Make It Reign
I like the heat vision effects, but the damage levels were extremely low. The cultist who gets a full dose of the deadly beams, I had expected to hear his voice in the middle of the ritual.

"Help....I'm not dead.....but I'm very badly burned"
"Is he dead?"
"No....Burned....badly"

Or the DEO agents that got hit with the beams, rub the spot vigorously while turning to their attackers and saying "Ahhhhh! Why did you do that?! Do you know how much that burns?"

Heat vision has been demonstrated as far more powerful than what was depicted in this episode. 

I think one the main problems for the writers of this show is consistency. Someone needed to set up a character model for what a Kryptonian is, power levels? Invulnerabilities? etc etc... And stick to it. Sort of a guideline to what all other writers shall adhere to. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach, kikass2014

More
12 Jun 2018 21:40 - 12 Jun 2018 21:41 #59818 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 3 x 22 Make It Reign

I think one the main problems for the writers of this show is consistency. Someone needed to set up a character model for what a Kryptonian is, power levels? Invulnerabilities? etc etc... And stick to it. Sort of a guideline to what all other writers shall adhere to.

Oh I totally agree.  I've been calling for them to have a set standard for Kara's (and by extension all kryptoinans) power-level for ages.

Hopefully its something they do for season 4 (though I'm not holding my breath lol :D )

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 21:41 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Jun 2018 00:35 #59821 by Markiehoe
After a 24 think I have to re evaluate the writers of Supergirl.

After last weeks anti gun episode where they talked about things and nothing really got done.

One day later Alex comes out and shows everyone that action speaks louder than words.

Well done Team Supergirl.
I must give credit.
You had me going and you brought me back.

Right now I want to see a new weekly series.
Alex Danvers: Agent of the DEO

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
13 Jun 2018 00:56 #59823 by kikass2014

Right now I want to see a new weekly series.
Alex Danvers: Agent of the DEO

AHAHAHAHAHA :D

Nice one :P

Peace.

/K

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Jun 2018 04:43 #59825 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season 3 x 22 Make It Reign
There was much about this episode I liked.

Carl Lumby (as always) was fantastic.  The scene between him and Alex was great.  I'm going to miss him.   Maybe they'll comic-book him back next season (maybe merging with the Earth will shock his brain back into normal patterns).

Loved seeing Alura in a costume.

I even loved the littler interplay between Winn and Mon-El.

The pacing was pretty spot on for the episode too.

But, this episode had a bit of "WTF are you doing!!" from people who should know better.  Small (minor) things like they don't know how long the portal is going to be open and they know it's a one-shot.  Mon-El steps through. Pause.  Pause. Alura says "I'm coming too!".. Pause. Pause. Supergirl steps through.

It's open for a limited unknown amount of time.  People are dying.  Where was Supergirl??  She should have been RIGHT THROUGh that portal. This held for just long enough for me to get annoyed (it's a common thing, shows do it ALL THE TIME, because it's "Dramtic").  Ok, pet peeve, let it go.

DEO agent risks life to get the blood. He's in a lab designed for biological testing, and he talks to Winn and Alex, I'd assume he'd be marginally proficient in protocal.  I refuse to belive there is a lab to test alien biological samples that did not have some disposal method w/ immediate access.

Ok, skip that.  Maybe it was blocked by evil Kryptonians.  Minor knit.  he goes downstairs and sees the Kryptonians, and tosses the blood.  Everyone Watches as the Kryponians kill him.  Supergirl or Mon-el do not Super-speed attack or anything.  Uh, they're trained to not just sit there an do NOTHING.  Grr.  Ok, let it go.

Then, after he's dead and Supergirl is MAD.She has no reason to try to distract or do anything like that.  Mission #1 is DESTROY THE BLOOD.

Do you:

A: Toss it in the Air and hit it with your heat vision when there are super-speed enabled Kryptonians in the room?
B: Slightly open your hand, and blast it with your heat vision, and slightly boil your hand until you drop it right as it gets too bad, and in that micro-second hit it w/ full power heat vision.  Meaning: she's minorly injured, while the sample is blasted to atoms.  She should trust that Mon-El would run interference to keep people off her.  He's far better trained than they are, and has cape-fu.  Plus Alura can help keep them off.

I try really hard to not think of these things when watching a show, but I literally WTF'd out loud when she threw the sample.  It's minor things like this, the unforced errors that should be caught, that make the episode good, not great.  It should have been great.

Just rework the scene with out silly dramatic tosses of the blood.  The Kryptonians use X-Ray vision and Superspeed to catch DEO agent as he's about to toss the blood into the incinerator.  (Bonus: agent is smart!  Bad guys are capable!)  He's opening the door and about to drop it in.  One Heat vision.  He's knocked a bit back, but still moving. SECOND heat vision, he screams, and mightly gets his hand over the drop point. THIRD blast hits and shatters the shield. The vial drops from his limp hand and starts to tumble into the slot... Evil witch super-speeds and plucks vials out of the air as he drops to the floor.  

Supergirl/Alura/Mon-El show up right as this happens.  "NO!".  Gloat/Monolog.  Supergirl/Mon-El go to attack.   BAMF!  They're gone.

No stupid things done by Supergirl, and bad guys being bad guys. DEO agent get a more heroic death.  He _almost_ saved the world.  Still have all the character beats between everyone, just no stupid tossing things around.

Also, don't make a big deal of that one guy who had a name and we saw a bit, and totally ignore all the others that got blown away earlier in the episode.

I will say that I called it.  You don't have a wonderful world wihere you get awesome powers and want to stay in a cobbled together city that is slowly running out of power.   It's not surprising that the bad people are the ones who see the potential and take action.

Also: J'onn's ship doesn't have any kind of security?   guess they're definately not going with the Young Justice Martian Ship (which are living, and thus harder to steal.)

Bonus Knit:  Supergirl Tells Alura  "This is Alex".  And then her mother proceeds to loudly thank her and her family for raising Supergirl.   Lena is just a few feet away and actually walks in on the end of the conversation.  Again, Supergirl walking around blabbing secrets out in the open. I  know this was done for flow/drama "did she hear?" ... but it's totally stupid.   Alura is a politican with skill and knows better (she at least knows Kara's human identity is secret). Supergirl knows better.  Alex knows better.

p.s.  I agree with the season comments of building up the other witches and their plans during the season to make better filler.  Or at least introducing that they could exist, and might have more plans.  This part seems rushed.

Though last weeks filler episode on Argo city is part of where that should have happened.  Do that instead of the stupid gun plot.

I know that Supergirl went to Argo City with a ship... but going there WO figuring out a communication method FIRST seems a bit irresponsible.  Also, no discussion with Superman first?  And where was he?  I know he knows what J'onn's ship looks like, but when he saw it come back early (he should have heard the ship enter the atmosphere and I'd hope the Fortress has sensors) and NOT land in National City shouldn't he have gotten curious?  At the very least he'd want to welcome his cousin back and find out why she's returning so quickly.  It's not like space ships land on Earth every day!  But this i part of the "Where was Superman during all this" problem that is perennial to the show.

Maybe a toss-away line that agents freed Lex from prison and Superman was distracted in dealing with him. He saw the ship but didn't have time to trace a friendly while monomanically focused on Lex (I could see this from Superman).  Later alex mentions that Lex was free, but Superman put him back.  (I think the show should avoid Lex, unless it runs for > 5 seasons).

Still doesn't explain why Supergirl wouldn't use some method to call him.  This isn't the ordinary bad guy of the week.

But at the end of the day, the parts of this episode that worked, WORKED.  It's just I'd like to see the writers room just give the scripts that last "does this make sense" pass.  If they could do that, keep the powers realatively consistent, and bring up the minimum quality -- when the show hits bottom, it really hits bottom.  Fixing those 3-4 really bad episodes to "meh" would raise people's opinions of the show, and make the great episodes really shine.  Some polish and I think a few episodes would have been great instead of good too.

Other question:  I'm sure Winn's Shield will stop a bullet.  A Kryptonite bullet.   Supergirl needs one.    Esp against Reign, as it seems like it could block her strength.    Follow up: does it protect against radiation (like it does heat vision)?  You see where I'm going with this?  Give one to Alura and one to Kara, then give Mon-El a giant blob of Kryptonite.  At least then the three witches will be taken out during the fight, and it's just everyone vs. Reign.  Bonus: it's why Superman can't join, they don't have an extra/didn't plan for him she he was occupied chasing lex when they called, so he has to stay outside.

Meh.  Again sorry for the ranting. I actually did like the episode, I just wish I could get through one w/o yelling at the TV. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
14 Jun 2018 11:17 #59841 by Markiehoe
I actually liked the frenetic episode.
More action/ less filler please.

io9.gizmodo.com/honesty-what-the-hell-supergirl-1826758787
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
14 Jun 2018 13:03 #59843 by kikass2014
^ Pretty spot on review.

From the review:

There will, at the very least, be a battle between a sword-wielding goddess, witches, time travelers, and an alien savior from a mostly dead planet.

I want to see this level of "epicness" EVERY WEEK ON SUPERGIRL :D

If you do read these forums, make it happen Team Supergirl :D

Peace.

/K

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds