Amount

CBR.com list

12 Jul 2018 10:24 #60133 by Markiehoe
CBR.com list was created by Markiehoe
SUPERGIRL HAS GONE OFF THE RAILS
Like most lists i agree with some and disagree with others.

This list addresses a lot of the topics we are very passionate about and glosses over some others.

www.cbr.com/cw-supergirl-pros-cons/

#2 strikes home with the prominent use of the word "SHOEHORN"
It is good to know others besides us are noticing these things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Jul 2018 23:48 - 12 Jul 2018 23:50 #60139 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic CBR.com list
I think I overall disagree with most of them, then I do agree with.

Like, no. 18 and 17 should be switched around.  No one gives a rat's ass about Jimmy Olsen and his stupid Guardian crap.  While the handling of the Kara/Mon-El relationship, was actually really well done imo.

#20 Good point about Sam's mother to be fair.  But, meh, didn't really like her that much anyway.

#19 Superman is "conveniently" out of the picture.  So what?  Good.  Its Supergirl's show, keep him away.  Don't care how.

#18 & #17 see above

#16 Agree with them.  I've highlighted before how I think the writers have gotten lost, or forgotten, who Alex is.  As such, she has almost become part of the background.  Remember the badass Alex in season 1?  Who had a great relationship with Jo'nn, like there was a history between the two forged in battle?  Where did she go?

#15 Agree.  More often then not this season, I felt they were on point with quips and comments and such.

#14 Agree, and imo, if they ditched the preachy/Guardian crap episodes, they may have had more time to explore this.  Also, this would give more build-up to the witches who featured so PROMINENTLY in the finale.

#13 Agree.  Looked fine, but the cape tricks didn't really gel with me.  I can take it or leave it.

#12 Agree, but not with the moments they cite as examples.  A lot of the touching moments came from Kara and Mon-El, but mainly from Sam and Lena and Jo'nn and his father.  Nobody gives a shit about Winn and Olsen (STOP BRINGING HIM UP IN THIS LIST!)

#11 Plot holes are a part of comic books.  If you can't accept that by now, find another genre.

#10 Agree.  There was no real build (or rationale as far as I can remember) for Supergirl to become Super Snotty.

#9 Agree, to a certain extent.

#8 Disagree.  No-Killing is what makes Kara a hero.  Same as Barry's no kill rule.  Its just part of comic book culture.  Deal with it.

#7 Disagree. Again, this is standard comic book trope.  Ready Player One even makes a joke of it - Clark Kent Glasses (TM). For those that know what I'm on about here.

#6 Disagree.  Focus on Supergirl and superhero themes.

#5 Comic book trope.  Deal with it.

#4 Disagree.  I thought they handled each character well for what they were- with the exception of Alex (see above).

#3 Agree!

#2 AGREE!!!!!!

#1 Partly agree. Supergirl needs to focus on the FUN part.  And its not really as philosophical or resonant (unless you count the preachy bs) as it thinks it is.

Those are my initial thoughts.

Peace

/K
Last edit: 12 Jul 2018 23:50 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
13 Jul 2018 06:00 #60144 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic CBR.com list
#10 was something that kept bugging me.  I liked the rapport Lena and Kara had.  Before this season if Lena "broke bad", I'd have been upset.  Now, after how she was treated by Supergirl I expect it.

Though as I said before, I'd LOVE for it to be Supergirl/DEO disagree with what Lena is doing and try to stop her, get kicked aside, and Lena saves the day.  A few times.   And Each time SG/DEO go "well she was right THIS time, but she should have followed process ... (with the super-secret black book government agency that no one is required to work with, and not seeing the irony)"  ... until maybe Supergirl learns some perspective and humility. But this isn't how a show Called "Supergirl" should be written, and I shouldn't think that way.

So perhaps you write Supergirl that way to begin with? It really wasn't a good look for our hero.  There are better ways to make someone human than making them look stupid and judemental.

And I ABSOLUTELY deny #4. Several of those "uninteresting plot lines" (when they weren't involving Guardian/Olson) were some of the best things about the season.  I think every scene with Carl Lumby was fantastic and well worth the time.

I'll agree with #2.  Write the episodes better. Find better padding to shoot.

And htis list mentioned Jimmy Olson too much.  Getting rid of Olson would have been a net win this season.  It should have been one of the things wrong with the show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach, kikass2014

More
13 Jul 2018 06:46 #60146 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic CBR.com list

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:
And htis list mentioned Jimmy Olson too much.  Getting rid of Olson would have been a net win this season.  It should have been one of the things wrong with the show.

I sure agree with this one. Jimmy looked interesting at the beginning of Season 1 (connection to Superman and kind of a mentor for Kara) but after that, everything has been wrong with him. Wasting time turning him into a superhero and his soaking up action screen time when the real superhero, Kara, was nowhere to be seen. 

They need to keep the show focused on her most of the time. The show is sometimes good when it does that, but Kara/Supergirl should have twice the screen time she's getting. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach, kikass2014

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
13 Jul 2018 10:02 #60151 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic CBR.com list

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:
And I ABSOLUTELY deny #4. Several of those "uninteresting plot lines" (when they weren't involving Guardian/Olson) were some of the best things about the season.  I think every scene with Carl Lumby was fantastic and well worth the time.

I'll agree with #2.  Write the episodes better. Find better padding to shoot.

Yes, YES and yes
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Jul 2018 14:19 - 13 Jul 2018 14:21 #60152 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic CBR.com list
I think some of you guys are being too hard on Jimmy Olsen.  And you are forgetting that half the viewership is female.  Around my house, if you want to get your hand chopped off, just try reaching for the remote when NCIS is on (Mark Harmond), Blue Bloods (Tom Selleck),  Swat (Sherman Moore). 
Last edit: 13 Jul 2018 14:21 by ace191.

More
13 Jul 2018 15:31 #60154 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic CBR.com list

I think some of you guys are being too hard on Jimmy Olsen.  And you are forgetting that half the viewership is female.

Its not his gender (or race for that matter) that is the problem.

Its the fact that he is a rubbish character who serves no real purpose, yet is given an inordinate amount of screen time.  Time which could be given to Kara, the titular character of the show.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Markiehoe, theomach, Monty

More
13 Jul 2018 16:09 #60155 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic CBR.com list

ace191 wrote: I think some of you guys are being too hard on Jimmy Olsen.  And you are forgetting that half the viewership is female.  Around my house, if you want to get your hand chopped off, just try reaching for the remote when NCIS is on (Mark Harmond), Blue Bloods (Tom Selleck),  Swat (Sherman Moore). 

I don't mind a bohunk being on the show.  Eye-candy for everyone is ok by me.

But what I would like, esp when Kara, Alex, J'onn, Sam, Lena, and M'yrnn J'onzz are acted/written brilliantly, is to not have such a weak character muddying the waters and getting crap story-lines to drag the show down.  Well, written well most of the time. The actors nail their jobs.  (Kara and Alex had some bad writing this season..)  Hell, I even like Mon-El this season, giving me more respect for Chris Wood.  I didn't WANT to like this version of Brainy, but he grew on me.

That just shows how weak a character James is written (not acted).

Mechad Brooks is a good actor, he's given some spot on performances for the show.  I thought the James/Lena romance worked better than Guardian (and was hoping they'd just forget about Guardian and go with that). That even focuses on his bo-hunk status.

I think after they dropped James from Love Interest/Mentor (a kind of icky combination for a show about a strong female!) they really haven't figured out what to do with him.   So either figure it out, or get rid of him.  And then bring in someone else to keep the ladies happy.

More
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds