Amount

Season 4 x 01 American Alien

15 Oct 2018 13:37 - 15 Oct 2018 20:41 #61569 by kikass2014
Season 4 x 01 American Alien was created by kikass2014
Supergirl is back, and I have to say, that was a great season premiere :D 

Ofc, and it must be said, there is a huge political/ideological subtext there…

BUT!

…it did not really distract from what looks like an interesting story that could unfold as the season progresses.

First things first, I LOVED Mercy and Otis and look forward to seeing more of them.  I liked their dynamic, I loved their swagger.  And Rhona Mitra still looks great imo :D 

I LOVED seeing Lillian back – Brenda Strong is awesome!  The interplay with Lena is great, and again, I hope she and that play a role in this season.

Agent Liberty, who is being setup to be the mastermind behind this season, on the surface looks like a stereotypical villain.  But I suspect there is more to him.  Time will tell.

Same with Nia. Again, too early to tell how she will play out, but first impression, like Agent Liberty, were a bit meh.

Glad they tied up (quite cleverly if I may say) some strands from last season, i.e. Sam and Ruby.  And also provided a solid excuse for Superman not being on Earth.

All in all, like Flash, this was a great episode in setting up the season.  We established (generally) the main players, the main narrative, and also the mysteries that could unfold.  Which, tbh, is what I am more interested in.

Who is Agent Liberty?  Whats his agenda?  What role will Lillian play?  What will President Lynda do? Manchester Black was not even mentioned.

And of course, that great little tease at the end of Red Supergirl.

Thumbs up Team Supergirl, great opening episode :)

Keep it up.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 15 Oct 2018 20:41 by kikass2014. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Oct 2018 18:28 #61571 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
I do agree with kikass.
All in all a pretty good episode.

Mercy/ Rhona Mitra is pretty awesome and I am looking forward to a long story arc with her front and center.
As well as the Luthor Ladies.

However I still believe the writers do not get "IT"
Supergirl is rescued by a male hero in the first 15 minutes of the episode.
Even less if you remove the commercials.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
15 Oct 2018 20:28 - 15 Oct 2018 23:00 #61572 by theomach
Replied by theomach on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
What do you think Red Supergirl was doing? Was it part of here training, or was she helping the Russians find something? It may be a little too early to speculate, but I think that she'll be the main villain later this season. BTW I loved red Supergirl's outfit. 
Last edit: 15 Oct 2018 23:00 by theomach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
15 Oct 2018 20:39 #61573 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien

What do you think Red Supergirl was doing? Was it part of here training, or was she helping the Russians find something?

Thats a pretty good question tbh.  Not sure, as like you say, its pretty early.

It has been mentioned that she WON'T be the main narrative, but play a role in it, which is "inspired" by the Red Son storyline. 

She could be tied to Manchester Black in some way?  Maybe she was finding something for him?

Peace.

/K

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2018 06:09 #61578 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
Super girl getting saved by an AI who happens to adopt the form of a male, is hardly being saved by a male. But....Someone needs to explain to me why she wasn't able to break out of that with ease. My biggest issue with the show, Is that when you have a powerhouse like Supergirl, you need fantastic writers to create a coherent story. Instead, you have terrible writers who depower Supergirl to make their plot points stick......Oh no! Two people are getting away by motor bike? How can Supergirl choose....when they're are moving so fast....By motorbike.....BY MOTORBIKE!!!!!???
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

More
16 Oct 2018 08:40 #61580 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
President Linda Carter!

More
16 Oct 2018 10:44 #61584 by kikass2014
@ d_k_c

I totally understand what you are saying.  In my case, its just one of those things that one has to let slide when watching/reading comic book/fantasy stories.

Its like on Flash.  He more or less teleports in some cases for mundane things, yet villains give him problems.  No one should be able to get away from Flash, and he should never be in trouble.

But then, where would the drama be?

Same with Superman/Supergirl.

Just my point of view.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2018 12:38 #61586 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the most important change in the new series

chyler's new haircut, it's must be the main talking point about the new EP,

and what's up with Supergirl not paying the duties on importing Vodka, talk about a lawbreaker.

Forget the other stuff the hair and the Vodka are the main issues with the new EP.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, Monty, kikass2014

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Oct 2018 13:49 - 16 Oct 2018 13:52 #61587 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
@Kickass Here's the thing, it's not an impossible thing to solve reasonably. One sibling causes a distraction, and perhaps while being pursued by Supergirl, rides the bike off a cliff, forcing supergirl to save his/her life. The other sibling, takes the shot. That's just off the top of my head, Is it reasonable to conclude that the superhero, even supergirl can't be in two places at once? Definitely! am I genius? definitely not! What did I do...I thought about it for 30 seconds.

So here's my plea to the writers of Supergirl, who I know are more talented than I am....Try. Please try....Give it a try, to just try. I know it must be fun getting paid to jack off to Benoist all day...But tuck it in....and try!....You can do it! I have the faith. First step, try....then top it off with a dose of try
Last edit: 16 Oct 2018 13:52 by d_k_c.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, kikass2014

More
16 Oct 2018 14:03 #61588 by Markiehoe

fats wrote: I'm surprised that no one has commented on the most important change in the new series

chyler's new haircut, it's must be the main talking point about the new EP,

and what's up with Supergirl not paying the duties on importing Vodka, talk about a lawbreaker.

Forget the other stuff the hair and the Vodka are the main issues with the new EP.

Fats

I have to say I like her hair when it is loose but I strongly dislike it slicked back so that would be an ultimate thumbs down.
Wasn't the vodka a gift?
Do you pay duty on a gift?

Lets talk about the elephant in the room.
Mercy's smoking hot stiletto heels she was wearing at the end of the episode.
So impractical, so comic booky.
I loved em. :D

I would post a picture but once again the CW has provided NO promotional pictures of a character on a show.

More
16 Oct 2018 14:20 - 16 Oct 2018 14:21 #61589 by kikass2014

...I know it must be fun getting paid to jack off to Benoist all day...But tuck it in....and try!....You can do it! I have the faith. First step, try....then top it off with a dose of try.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  That is one of the funniest things I've read in a LONG while :D

And yeah, I agree with you 10000% it is not an impossible fix per se :)

I was just mentioning how I viewed it.  IMO, there is no right or wrong way to do it.  Like most, if not all, fantasy stories, the level of suspension of disbelief varies from reader to reader :)

I'm with Markiehoe on Chyler's new hairdo. Great when its loose, not so when slicked back.  Though I imagine thats more from a practical perspective.  Imagine she was shooting someone and her hair flopped in the way :D

Peace.

/K

Bonus:

Had to turn the brightness WAY up, but they are there :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 16 Oct 2018 14:21 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2018 16:15 #61590 by Markiehoe

kikass2014 wrote: Bonus:

Had to turn the brightness WAY up, but they are there :)

\

LOVE EM!
Thanks

More
16 Oct 2018 19:33 #61596 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien

d_k_c wrote: @Kickass Here's the thing, it's not an impossible thing to solve reasonably. One sibling causes a distraction, and perhaps while being pursued by Supergirl, rides the bike off a cliff, forcing supergirl to save his/her life. The other sibling, takes the shot. That's just off the top of my head, Is it reasonable to conclude that the superhero, even supergirl can't be in two places at once? Definitely! am I genius? definitely not! What did I do...I thought about it for 30 seconds.

So here's my plea to the writers of Supergirl, who I know are more talented than I am....Try. Please try....Give it a try, to just try. I know it must be fun getting paid to jack off to Benoist all day...But tuck it in....and try!....You can do it! I have the faith. First step, try....then top it off with a dose of try

Well said...

It's almost like the writers keep forgetting that the number one way to escape Superman or Supergirl -- create a diversion that forces them to save lives instead of catching the crook. It was only done a thousand times in the comic books, and it's really the ONLY reliable way to escape a Kryptonian. It is 100% guaranteed that SG will save lives (especially innocent ones) before worrying about catching any bad guys. It's both her strength and her number one weakness.

There are a hundred different and interesting ways to play that game. The trick is to create a diversion that will keep her busy long enough. Everyone on this forum could think of several ways. 

It's not that the writers don't do it at all, but they seem to prefer head-on confrontations that require them to downscale Kara's powers to fit their brain-damaged storyline. It's not that hard to do it right, although I suspect special effects budgets might be a limitation. Believable deceptions/diversions are probably expensive. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: brantley, TwiceOnThursdays

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
17 Oct 2018 03:21 #61602 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
Were there any transformations of note in this episode?

[Get used to me asking!]

More
17 Oct 2018 12:14 #61604 by Markiehoe
Nothing spectacular.
There is a new kind of mask that aliens wear to look like humans.
There is a couple of reveals when they take there masks off.

More
22 Oct 2018 18:49 #61669 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
I liked this episode.it was nice to.see Supergurl go ot countries to help others.. Did the Kara doppelganger punching cause the train bridge in Jax is to collapse?

More
08 Dec 2018 21:27 #62262 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Season 4 x 01 American Alien
Wow! Catching up here in the UK on season four and 2 minutes in the freeze breath on the train's brakes! Wow - 2 mins in and I'm hooked already!

More
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds