Amount

Crossover is backdoor pilot for Superman spinoff, claims unsubstantiated rumour

18 Oct 2018 10:02 - 18 Oct 2018 13:30 #61622 by five_red
FandomWire: "EXCLUSIVE: WB Developing ‘Superman’ TV Series"

Screenrant: "Superman TV Show Reportedly In Development At The CW" 

With Henry Cavill reportedly vacating the red and blue tights as Warner Bros. looks to retire Superman from the big screen, we at FandomWire are hearing that the studio wants to move Superman to the small screen.

If true (big 'if'), what does this mean for the Girl of Steel..? Remember, the Supergirl show was heavily inspired by the Chris Reeve movies, and has stuck very closely to the Superman formula (even the mild-mannered reporter shtick.) Its cast, both regular and guest, are largely from the Superman canon, with Lena Luthor being the only Supergirl canon character. The show has also predominantly adapted plotlines from the Superman movies and comics, rather than Supergirl's 60 year published history. Some fans have even speculated that CBS/CW/Berlanti only took Supergirl because Superman wasn't available -- now that the real McCoy might be available for the small screen again, what becomes of CW's Superman in a skirt..?

R5
Last edit: 18 Oct 2018 13:30 by five_red.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2018 12:22 #61624 by Markiehoe
Could be bad news for our Girl of Steel

However there are multiple NCIS series out there.
Really, how many Navy related crimes can there be?
And Law and Order strung out the same premise for years.

There is room for two Kryptonions.
It all depends on the writing....cough.

More
18 Oct 2018 13:56 #61626 by kikass2014
I don't think this will make much difference to Supergirl imo, because I don't think this is more then a rumor tbh.

Personally, I liked Tyler Hoechlin portrayal of the Man of Steel, and look forward to him in the crossover.  However, will he be able to sustain a whole show?

Superman as a character, as Supergirl has demonstrated, is hard to write.  Mainly because his power set makes him practically invincible.  There is only so many times kryptonite can be used a plot device (or any other de-powering item).

Don't get me wrong, it is not an impossible writing task.  Just one that, if they haven't cracked it for Supergirl, what makes you think they will have for Superman?

Which leads to the point about the show Supergirl not really being about "Supergirl".  Its hard to disassociate that show from its political pandering, so much so, that that is what it is primarily known for.  Sure, when they hit the highs, its a great comic book show, the best example being the first half of season 3.  You got what, 10 or so episodes of great comic book storytelling.  They have also hit highs on other occasions, but that was the most consistent run imo.

Add to that a bloated cast of characters (a problem Flash suffers from EVEN more), and the show shifts away from its primary concept - Supergirl.

Also, I don't really see a lot of people asking for a Superman show in my circle.  Many more voices ask for a Batman series.  And no, Gotham does not count :D 

Batman is also arguably easier to write, being more grounded (and thus less budget reliant) to make.

If they do go with a Superman show, like Markiehoe says, there is space for that, provided the writing is up to par.  Tonally, Supergirl is very much in the vein of the Donner movies (in particular Season 1), which is why I enjoy it, generally.  I would imagine Superman would follow suit, but then you have the problem of what differentiates the two?

Which leads me to the conclusion that this is nothing more then a rumor. 

WB/DC (which is separate from their TV universes) probably has put Superman on hold while they work out how to re-tweak him for the DCEU.  He is, arguably, their biggest star.  They messed it up and are now trying to figure out what to do with him.

Just my two cents.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, andyf

More
18 Oct 2018 17:12 #61627 by andyf
I don't both this rumor. Virginia starring in an upcoming Netflix series and CW still has Batwoman in contention for a series.

More
21 Oct 2018 11:02 #61647 by kikass2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds