Amount

New Suit Coming For Season 5

14 Jul 2019 07:20 #64478 by murdough
New Suit Coming For Season 5 was created by murdough
So Supergirl will be getting a new suit in the coming season. Below is a link to an interview with Kevin Smith and it comes up about a minute into the video. It also gives us a full look at Melissa's new haircut which looks great in my opinion.

https://supergirl.tv/melissa-talks-new-season-5-suit?fbclid=IwAR1xXTqkwwPBdroERngPHAHLH7CuoMbmRYZcKI283qzJlv1y4WsZmyIuwdI
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, aguilauno, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
14 Jul 2019 21:02 #64481 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
Melissa is looking good for Season 5!

More
15 Jul 2019 05:48 #64488 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
Another tradition bites the dust. 

With the exception of a very few "alternate" stories along the way, the one thing absolutely certain was that Supergirl had bare legs -- either a skirt or hotpants. It's right up there with Batman wearing a mask/hood. The character seems wrong without it. 

But next season, on Supergirl TV, there will be no skirt, only long pants. Basically a costume like Luthor's Supergirl. 

I don't have anything against pants on women in general, but the skirt/hotpant has stood the test of time (about 61 years by my counting) for Supergirl.  I wonder what the final motivation was for changing such a long tradition?

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, TwiceOnThursdays, erikphandel

More
15 Jul 2019 16:29 #64490 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

shadar wrote: Another tradition bites the dust. 

With the exception of a very few "alternate" stories along the way, the one thing absolutely certain was that Supergirl had bare legs -- either a skirt or hotpants. It's right up there with Batman wearing a mask/hood. The character seems wrong without it. 

But next season, on Supergirl TV, there will be no skirt, only long pants. Basically a costume like Luthor's Supergirl. 

I don't have anything against pants on women in general, but the skirt/hotpant has stood the test of time (about 61 years by my counting) for Supergirl.  I wonder what the final motivation was for changing such a long tradition?

Shadar

Based on the interview, I'd say filming in Vancouver during the winter is the main reason. I grew up in New Hampshire, which is only a little bit south, latitude-wise, and trust me when I say that it gets incredibly cold in the winter. Supergirl may be impervious to temperature, but Melissa isn't. It boils down to the comfort of the actors, which is likely one of the reasons why Green Arrow's bare arms only lasted one season. If anything, I'd say Melissa is tough as hell for being able to handle wearing a skirt for three seasons in that climate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty, andyf

• murdough
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
15 Jul 2019 17:35 #64491 by shadar

murdough wrote:

shadar wrote: Another tradition bites the dust. 

Shadar

Based on the interview, I'd say filming in Vancouver during the winter is the main reason. I grew up in New Hampshire, which is only a little bit south, latitude-wise, and trust me when I say that it gets incredibly cold in the winter. Supergirl may be impervious to temperature, but Melissa isn't. It boils down to the comfort of the actors, which is likely one of the reasons why Green Arrow's bare arms only lasted one season. If anything, I'd say Melissa is tough as hell for being able to handle wearing a skirt for three seasons in that climate.

I live close to Vancouver at 48 degrees north, just across the border, and it doesn’t get cold like New Hampshire. Winter nights in low 40’s are the norm, with 30ish lows once in a while. 20’s F are uncommon, which is why snow and ground freezing are rare.

But hanging in mid-air with bare legs in the usual winter 40’s or 50’s and a breeze is still chilly. 

As I see it, Melissa wants to be warm, and I get that, but I wonder if that’s the only reason.

Shadar

More
15 Jul 2019 21:01 #64492 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
I shouldn't be saying anything since I haven't watched the show since early season 2 but I'll say it anyways

Supergirl has always had a skirt (except in the New 52 but most people hated that costume. She did have bare legs still on that). Putting her in a full body glove will only serve to make her even more like Superman. I thought they were trying to avoid the whole "Supergirl is just genderbent Superman" thing? Ain't helping

As for the reason, filming in a cold place is frankly a bullshit excuse. Your character has bare legs almost all times - don't film in a cold place, simple as that. Not to mention I just don't buy Supergirl being cold, it makes no sense. I believe this is just another episode in Hollywood's latest trend of dessexualizing all girls, but this is just conjecture
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, kikass2014

More
15 Jul 2019 22:13 #64493 by murdough
And here it is. Holding off any judgement til I see it in action,

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• murdough
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
15 Jul 2019 22:37 #64494 by murdough

erikphandel wrote: As for the reason, filming in a cold place is frankly a bullshit excuse. Your character has bare legs almost all times - don't film in a cold place, simple as that. Not to mention I just don't buy Supergirl being cold, it makes no sense. I believe this is just another episode in Hollywood's latest trend of dessexualizing all girls, but this is just conjecture

99% of the CW's line-up(including all of the Arrowverse) shoots in Vancouver. It's more cost effective and makes crossovers more convenient. Hell, Supergirl filmed in LA in it's first season when it had CBS money. Production had to move to Vancouver when the CW took over. And it isn't about the character of Supergirl being cold, it's about the actress Melissa Benoist being cold. Supergirl's invulnerable, Melissa isn't. Like I said, Stephen Amell went sleeveless for a season on Arrow before getting sleeves again for the same reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rednecko

• murdough
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
15 Jul 2019 22:56 #64495 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

murdough wrote: 99% of the CW's line-up(including all of the Arrowverse) shoots in Vancouver. It's more cost effective and makes crossovers more convenient. Hell, Supergirl filmed in LA in it's first season when it had CBS money. Production had to move to Vancouver when the CW took over. And it isn't about the character of Supergirl being cold, it's about the actress Melissa Benoist being cold. Supergirl's invulnerable, Melissa isn't. Like I said, Stephen Amell went sleeveless for a season on Arrow before getting sleeves again for the same reason.

Okay that's reasonable enough. Still think it's pretty ugly, now that I've seen the photo. The hair doesn't help one bit

More
16 Jul 2019 00:09 #64496 by shadar
Isn't it a rule that when you get to Season 5 or whatever that you have to change everything to keep viewer interest? New hair, new costume. Probably new kinds of stories that we haven't seen before. 

I can probably get used to the new costume. Besides, I never liked the tights under the skirt thing to begin with. An invulnerable girl doesn't need tights. Her skin is the ultimate armor. 

But if we're debating character costume practicality issues versus actress costume practicalities, and going with the later, then we've thrown away the fantasy aspect of the show. It really isn't THAT cold in Vancouver. 

Whatever... SG isn't on top of my viewing list, but once in a while I really enjoy an episode. I'll take a look when the new season comes out, but the writing is likely to be the decider for me, as always. I don't watch stupid.

And for my money, she could wear anything to start, just as long as bits and pieces get shot or blown off during battles, with her winding up in her invulnerable undies or maybe arms crossed over bare chest. But not holding my breath on CW doing THAT anytime soon. And never with Melissa.  

But a Game of Thrones-grade show on HBO with slightly slutty Supergirl who isn't afraid to make heads roll? One can dream. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, erikphandel

More
16 Jul 2019 01:33 #64499 by shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

More
16 Jul 2019 01:40 #64500 by murdough

• murdough
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
16 Jul 2019 02:41 #64501 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
16 Jul 2019 03:12 #64502 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
IMO.  That picture makes her look much older than she is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k

More
16 Jul 2019 03:27 #64503 by shadar

Raa wrote: IMO.  That picture makes her look much older than she is.

She said in an interview that the new costume makes her look "more adult".  I guess that's code for older.

Superwoman and not Supergirl?

Shadar

More
16 Jul 2019 13:11 #64505 by bigbrian
Replied by bigbrian on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
I agree she has lost her young look which could be a death sentence for the show.supergirl no more.

More
16 Jul 2019 15:40 #64507 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
This is posible.
The season 19-20 is the last of the show.
I believe whit the melisa octubre is other actress.
She it sesms the paltrow litle sister..

More
16 Jul 2019 16:10 #64508 by Klaus
Replied by Klaus on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
A hero like supergirl needs to have presence. She doesn't need to have huge muscles or a lush figure but she needs to be visible, and I feel the new costume actively works against that. It makes supergirl seem smaller, and a hero with super in his/her title cannot be small.

I really get the vibe that the main writer thinks he knows all about women but doesn't actually know about women all that well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel

More
16 Jul 2019 16:30 #64509 by fats
Replied by fats on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
if MB is getting too old for the role, the simple solution is for SG to be mortally wounded goes into a krypton regeneration pod and out comes a new actress for season 6.

and I have to agree not a good outfit and the hair is also looking bad, there seems to be no energy int he hair.

Fats

More
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds