Amount

Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6

22 Sep 2020 21:20 #69250 by murdough
The following user(s) said Thank You: slim36, kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2020 21:35 #69251 by elnovo1234
Replied by elnovo1234 on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6
Well im glad. The show was terrible Melissa did a good job but the scrip and the specially show runners where running out of ideas thay had no clue of what todo after season 3

More
22 Sep 2020 21:50 - 22 Sep 2020 21:51 #69254 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6
Saw this just now on Dark Horizons.

Can't say I'm surprised to be honest.  The show became a shell of its former self (especially after a solid first season, and an amazing first half to season 3 imo).

Should have cancelled Batwoman while they were at it.  Oh well CW.  Carry on flushing more of your money down the drain (not that they spent that much on the show).

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 22 Sep 2020 21:51 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
22 Sep 2020 22:52 - 22 Sep 2020 22:57 #69261 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6
I have to agree. After a catch-up splurge during lockdown recently, I could see the show tapering off in Season 4. I haven't managed to sit through Season 5 in it's entirety yet, but began questioning when the curtain would fall - but a Great Job Well Done to Melissa, and many thanks!
Last edit: 22 Sep 2020 22:57 by Monty.

More
22 Sep 2020 23:40 #69264 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6
No real surprise here.  A five season run would even have been enough IMHO.  Although the show was passed it's sell by date, and was inconsistent for a lot of its run, I still consider myself incredibly lucky to have been around to catch this.  A live action Supergirl program was way more than I ever could have hoped for when I first found this site in the distant past!  And Melissa was really perfect for the role.  She'll be fondly remembered by fandom forever, much as Christopher Reeve is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, JpHr3

More
23 Sep 2020 01:25 #69267 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6
At least with them knowing in advance that the show's coming to an end, they'll be able to wrap up the characters' storylines. As opposed to being unceremoniously cancelled, there shouldn't be anything left unresolved. Also, it gives them a chance for a comeback tour from departed castmates(Calista Flockhart, Mehcad Brooks, Chris Wood, etc). And with Earths 1 and 38(as well as Black Lightning's unnumbered Earth) merged post-Crisis, there's always a chance that some of the show's supporting players may appear on the other Arrowverse shows, including the forthcoming Superman & Lois Lane. As it is, with Melissa's impending birth and the delay in filming, season 6 won't premiere til mid-spring at the earliest, so there's plenty of time to speculate as to how things will play out.

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2020 06:19 #69270 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6
Unfortunate, but probably for the best. It can be argued that Arrow should have ended about three seasons earlier than it did. While I need to catch up on the latest season, I do agree that the writers were clearly running out of steam and new ideas. I also don't think they really found great villains for Supergirl. Most seemed to be geared towards being stronger or as strong as Supergirl. Rather than having some abilities or skills that made Supergirl's powers useless in defeating them. Season 1 worked so well because it was all about Supergirl becoming her own person and not be under Superman's shadow.

A good plotline example is from the Power Girl comics where Max Lord used his mental powers to change what people remembered, such as forgetting his existing and thinking Booster Gold killed himself (when he was actually killed by Max Lord). Power Girl is one of the few people that remember what happened and struggles to uncover the truth while also discovering various genetic experiments that Lord was doing with Kryptonian DNA, like cloning Power Girl. However, every time she gets close to revealing the truth, Max is able to mentally alter people's memories.

Now that would have been a good season arc. People keep remembering things differently from what Supergirl remembers to the point where she think she is going crazy. Then over time she discovers a conspiracy where a single person or group of people are mentally altering the memories of everyone on the planet, but her Kryptonian DNA makes her invulnerable to their manipulation. So they start manipulating the memories of everyone around Supergirl to turn them against her.

More
24 Sep 2020 14:39 #69281 by smoki07
Replied by smoki07 on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6
Can't say I'm surprised , the show had a routine installed.

More
24 Sep 2020 18:58 - 25 Sep 2020 02:55 #69283 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6

smoki07 wrote: Can't say I'm surprised , the show had a routine installed.

I see what you mean. The show was becoming more and more reliant on technology run from a science / government lab (in much the same way The Flash was run) - perhaps the producers' ideas were becoming too reliant on The Flash, and it fell away from Melissa's dominant power-show. Perhaps three seasons was a good call after all, as someone else has mentioned here.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2020 02:55 by Monty.

More
24 Sep 2020 20:38 #69287 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Coming To An End With Season 6

Monty wrote:

smoki07 wrote: Can't say I'm surprised , the show had a routine installed.

I see what you mean. The show was becoming more and more reliant on technology run from a science / government lab (in much the same way The Flash was run) - perhaps the producers' ideas were becoming to reliant on The Flash, and it fell away from Melissa's dominant power-show. Perhaps three seasons was a good call after all, as someone else has mentioned here.

Three seasons would have been perfect. Well, 2 1/2 to be more precise. I really miss how CBS handled the show initially. That was fun. 

The WB, which was initially aimed at young women, (think Smallville), morphed into CW, which stayed with a young audience, but tried to increase male viewership by focusing on comicbook properties. 
Unfortunately, there is too vast a difference in worldview between young versus older people (nothing new there). So I got "demographiced" out. Not that they care.  

I went through all this in the 60's, except I was on the youthful, counterculture side then, and didn't give a frap about old farts and their attitudes. 

I'm now I'm an oddball old fart who still thinks Supergirl is one hell of an interesting character. Melissa did Ok at portraying her at times, not great but Ok, especially at first, but focusing the writing on a demographic I don't identify with kind of ruined it as it went along.

I now have great hopes for Jeff Bezos and his mindset at Amazon. He's a hardcore geek. The only way a show like The Boys (which is a bit out of my comfort zone but interesting) could have come to the screen was Bezos personally making that decision. Otherwise, the usual corporate-think would have said it was too far out for a general audience. 

That's encouraging, but of course we don't know where that will eventually go either. I'm hanging most of my media hopes these days on Amazon's take on Tolkien's properties, especially Second Age stuff. I have always been, and always will be, a Tolkien fan of the first order. There is an unbreakable thread in my DNA that is attached to the pre-war English countryside and much earlier Anglo-Saxon roots, and Tolkien's fantasies tickle all the right spots.  

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds