Amount

Supergirl Season Six

26 Nov 2021 19:50 #72761 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Supergirl Season Six
The show wasn't killed. It stopped because Melissa Benoist had enough. The quality of the show was certainly killed, but it would have gone on regardless. The only CW hero show they actually dropped willingly was Black Lightning. Arrow and Supergirl ended because the ones playing the lead heroes refused to sign on for more, Benoist because of her kid and wanting to do more Broadway type stuff and Steven Amell, the lead of Arrow because the intensity of the show and keeping himself in Superhero shape all the time was getting to him and he was starting to hate working for CW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2021 20:31 - 26 Nov 2021 20:35 #72762 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Season Six
I don't believe that. The show ran itself into the ground after 3 seasons and tried to maintain respectability for what I think was a six-term contract. It may have been an initial 3 year job that was extended for a further 3 years after being taken over by CW from CBS. Game over after Season 3.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2021 20:35 by Monty.

• Monty
  • Monty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Nov 2021 20:41 #72763 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Supergirl Season Six
Nah you could definitely tell Benoist was done with it. Half the time she's a stand in with them not showing her face in season 6. But CW will run things as long as they can. The only reason they stopped Black Lightning was because it was more expensive to produce because it shot in Georgia and not Vancouver and they were hoping a spin off from that show would be picked up to replace it that would have been cheaper to film.

Even with Arrow they begged Amell to come back for one last season and agreed to his terms of not needing to be in his usual shape and it only being 10 episodes as a result.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
26 Nov 2021 21:04 #72764 by Monty
I think Melissa (as well as the rest of the cast) could see and read from the script that the writing was on the wall.
The series fell apart after season 3.
Melissa and the cast could see it but felt obliged to carry out their contractual obligations.

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Nov 2021 21:55 #72765 by spunk639
Replied by spunk639 on topic Supergirl Season Six
Melissa was as woke and made her politics part of the show she is as much to blame for it veering off course.

More
26 Nov 2021 22:04 #72766 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl Season Six
I think Jimbob is correct on this.  Benoist was pretty much done with the show.  And to be fair to her, she is a far more talented actress then the show allowed her to be.

The CW would have kept Supergirl going forever if Melissa hadn't chosen to quit.  Same with Arrow and Amell.   I mean look at The Flash.  Its in its EIGHTH season.  The Flash had a stellar first 2 seasons imo.  Then it went to shit when it stopped being about Barry Allen/The Flash, and became the Iris West show.

The CW don't cancel shows because of bad ratings and quality.  Look at Batwoman.  That is one hell of a shit show and its on its THIRD season.  I have no love for Ruby Rose, but if her comments on how that was produced (and why she straight up quit) are true, yeah, quality on CW shows is WAY down on their list.

Its all about "the message".   Superhero shows are just a brand that these writers, sorry, activists, use to broadcast their politics.

Its the same with Star Trek, Star Wars, and even the MCU now.

Slowly people are clocking on to this fact, and are beginning to switch off.  Hence the dismal ratings.

Peace.

/K

More
26 Nov 2021 23:16 - 26 Nov 2021 23:43 #72768 by Monty
Look where at the crazy scriptwriters put the cast all becoming 'Superfiends'! Wynn became some sort of costumed hero, ​.
Kara's adoptive sister gained some sort of costume and powers! Kara's boss and and his sister became some sort of guardians.
Even Lena became some sort of witch. The scriptwriters totally lost it. It became absolutely nuts!

Last edit: 26 Nov 2021 23:43 by Monty.

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Nov 2021 00:21 #72769 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Season Six

I think Jimbob is correct on this.  Benoist was pretty much done with the show.  And to be fair to her, she is a far more talented actress then the show allowed her to be.

The CW would have kept Supergirl going forever if Melissa hadn't chosen to quit.  Same with Arrow and Amell.   I mean look at The Flash.  Its in its EIGHTH season.  The Flash had a stellar first 2 seasons imo.  Then it went to shit when it stopped being about Barry Allen/The Flash, and became the Iris West show.

The CW don't cancel shows because of bad ratings and quality.  Look at Batwoman.  That is one hell of a shit show and its on its THIRD season.  I have no love for Ruby Rose, but if her comments on how that was produced (and why she straight up quit) are true, yeah, quality on CW shows is WAY down on their list.

Its all about "the message".   Superhero shows are just a brand that these writers, sorry, activists, use to broadcast their politics.

Its the same with Star Trek, Star Wars, and even the MCU now.

Slowly people are clocking on to this fact, and are beginning to switch off.  Hence the dismal ratings.

Peace.

/K
I don't buy that it's part of some network plot by a bunch of activists. 

It suspect it may simply reflect that many younger writers are hired for those shows, and their major audience is expected to be Millennials. There are a lot of them and they eagerly consume these kinds of shows and all this Woke logic.  So the shows by default have the writers' Millennial mindset and reflect those attitudes, which many of their viewers accept without even noticing. It's just their worldview. They'd be upset if a show didn't.

After observing the various forms of nonsense since the 60's, I subscribe to the principal of Hanlon's Razor, which states: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Shadar 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franky, Bert

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Nov 2021 00:58 #72770 by kikass2014

I didn't say it was a plot, or some sort of conspiracy.  But these ppl are not writers.  They don't know how to write stories, its all just virtue signalling and political messaging.  Most of them probably live on Twitter.

I suspect it may simply reflect that many younger writers are hired for those shows, and their major audience is expected to be Millennials. There are a lot of them and they eagerly consume these kinds of shows and all this Woke logic.  So the shows by default have the writers' Millennial mindset and reflect those attitudes, which many of their viewers accept without even noticing. It's just their worldview. They'd be upset if a show didn't.

Yes, I agree in that regard, the majority of creatives are indeed of a younger age (this is not the same as the people on the corporate level).  I disagree that there are (in regards to consumers) "a lot of them and they eagerly consume these kinds of shows".  The ratings for all these shows are garbage.  Youtube videos get more views then these shows. 

Therefore, to circle back, why keep persisting with this "woke logic" if you are not GAINING viewers but instead LOSING viewers?  And if you are losing viewers because of this "woke logic", why persist with it?  Unless that (woke logic) IS the primary motivation, and story, characters, etc. come second (You see my point?).

After observing the various forms of nonsense since the 60's, I subscribe to the principal of Hanlon's Razor, which states: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. 

Good quote. But in this case, I'm not implying its malicious at all, and I wouldn't call it stupidity either.  There is a clear reason why these shows are the way they are.

Peace.

/K

More
27 Nov 2021 01:53 #72771 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Supergirl Season Six
I really hope that Melissa lands on her feet and gets a Broadway job that she likes. She deserves it in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
27 Nov 2021 02:15 - 27 Nov 2021 10:55 #72772 by Monty

I really hope that Melissa lands on her feet and gets a Broadway job that she likes. She deserves it in my opinion.
Melissa will always land on her feet. ;)

(E.T.A. I am pretty certain I read Melissa has earned hundreds of thousands, possibly over a million with her spouse. I think it is safe to say Melissa can happily put her feet up for good.)
​​​​​​
Last edit: 27 Nov 2021 10:55 by Monty.

• Monty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Nov 2021 13:49 #72774 by Bert
Replied by Bert on topic Supergirl Season Six
She was making 75 grand per episode. Decent scratch for headlining a show she was barely on.

More
27 Nov 2021 23:15 #72785 by Franky
Replied by Franky on topic Supergirl Season Six
Most millennial writers of modern movies and TV series create a world and a society as it should be in their eyes, but not as it is. This is the main problem.

More
27 Nov 2021 23:35 #72786 by shadar

I didn't say it was a plot, or some sort of conspiracy.  But these ppl are not writers.  They don't know how to write stories, its all just virtue signalling and political messaging.  Most of them probably live on Twitter.

I suspect it may simply reflect that many younger writers are hired for those shows, and their major audience is expected to be Millennials. There are a lot of them and they eagerly consume these kinds of shows and all this Woke logic.  So the shows by default have the writers' Millennial mindset and reflect those attitudes, which many of their viewers accept without even noticing. It's just their worldview. They'd be upset if a show didn't.

Yes, I agree in that regard, the majority of creatives are indeed of a younger age (this is not the same as the people on the corporate level).  I disagree that there are (in regards to consumers) "a lot of them and they eagerly consume these kinds of shows".  The ratings for all these shows are garbage.  Youtube videos get more views then these shows. 

Therefore, to circle back, why keep persisting with this "woke logic" if you are not GAINING viewers but instead LOSING viewers?  And if you are losing viewers because of this "woke logic", why persist with it?  Unless that (woke logic) IS the primary motivation, and story, characters, etc. come second (You see my point?).

Good quote. But in this case, I'm not implying its malicious at all, and I wouldn't call it stupidity either.  There is a clear reason why these shows are the way they are.

Peace.

/K
You make some good points, K. Where I get hung up is that CW has got to make money to exist and grow. I assumed that comes from advertisers who pay based on the shows views and demographics. So as views drop, so does revenue. 

But I'm wrong. 

I've linked to a Forbes article that says that CW doesn't care about audience numbers, because they are primarily a "first run" outlet for the studios that own the content/characters (like Warner) which need "first run" broadcast time to qualify for syndication, the more seasons the better, and that's where the money is going to be.

www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2016/01...ral/?sh=7d2e5fcb4fe9

That solves one question -- why they don't care about the "first run" audience size.

My second thought is that they must also be banking on "Woke" as being the future culture of mainstream America and elsewhere, so they layer it on presuming that's what syndication viewers will expect to see down the road. In other words, they are making a bet on our cultural future.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, slim36, kikass2014

• shadar
More
28 Nov 2021 12:39 #72792 by kikass2014
That's a fair point about the CW Shadar.  And tbh, I was certainly aware the CW didn't care about ratings and/or money due to being a Warner company.  They gave Greg Berlanti a $400 million paycheck recently (the main man behind the garbage Arrowverse shows) which speaks volumes 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

But I take your point for sure. :) 

My second thought is that they must also be banking on "Woke" as being the future culture of mainstream America and elsewhere, so they layer it on presuming that's what syndication viewers will expect to see down the road. In other words, they are making a bet on our cultural future.

This is spot on.  You are totally correct in this regard.  [air quotes] They [air quotes]  certainly are banking on that, which in a business sense, from my perspective, is irrational.  Unless they are trying to SHAPE that society.

One - What if you are wrong?  There is no guranntee that you will get that turn out (Woke society), and judging by recent changes, it appears to be shifting AWAY from that message.  "Normies" are "waking up".

Two - Why alienate 50% (!!!) of your consumers?  Why not just make a good story, with good characters, and layer both sides of the aisle fairly into that?   Hollywood and TV shows ALREADY did it back in the day.  Most people in the industry think progression began with THEM in the 2010s.

There are certainly many more layers to this debate for sure, and it is an interesting one to have.

Peace.

/K

More
29 Nov 2021 05:48 #72800 by shadar

That's a fair point about the CW Shadar.  And tbh, I was certainly aware the CW didn't care about ratings and/or money due to being a Warner company.  They gave Greg Berlanti a $400 million paycheck recently (the main man behind the garbage Arrowverse shows) which speaks volumes 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

But I take your point for sure. :) 

This is spot on.  You are totally correct in this regard.  [air quotes] They [air quotes]  certainly are banking on that, which in a business sense, from my perspective, is irrational.  Unless they are trying to SHAPE that society.

One - What if you are wrong?  There is no guranntee that you will get that turn out (Woke society), and judging by recent changes, it appears to be shifting AWAY from that message.  "Normies" are "waking up".

Two - Why alienate 50% (!!!) of your consumers?  Why not just make a good story, with good characters, and layer both sides of the aisle fairly into that?   Hollywood and TV shows ALREADY did it back in the day.  Most people in the industry think progression began with THEM in the 2010s.

There are certainly many more layers to this debate for sure, and it is an interesting one to have.

Peace.

/K
I have no idea if Warner/CW is trying to shape the future culture, or just trying to predict where its going and be there ahead of it. But if they are trying to shape it, then that's their privilege as a private corporation. Whether that's a good business strategy depends on how it works out, as is always the case in predicting and preparing for the future. 

People belonging to various generations and political persuasions will argue and fight and struggle and do as they wish. Don't really care. Pendulum swings back and forth every few years no matter what I think. When it comes to the cultural wars, I'm a pacifist. 

My only oar in the water is that I want to see some really good writing and portrayals of Kryptonian or related females on TV or in the movies. 

So until that happens, assuming it ever happens, I'll amuse myself by writing my own version of such things, just as I have been doing since the beginning of the 90's. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: willow, Sarge395, Markiehoe, kikass2014

• shadar
More
29 Nov 2021 11:37 #72802 by kikass2014

People belonging to various generations and political persuasions will argue and fight and struggle and do as they wish. Don't really care. Pendulum swings back and forth every few years no matter what I think. When it comes to the cultural wars, I'm a pacifist.

Totally agree. With regards to the culture wars, I'm not neccessarily an activist, but I do think it is important to point these things out.  They don't happen randomly, and could go very badly.

My only oar in the water is that I want to see some really good writing and portrayals of Kryptonian or related females on TV or in the movies. 

So until that happens, assuming it ever happens, I'll amuse myself by writing my own version of such things, just as I have been doing since the beginning of the 90's.

Agree.  I have my imagination and my artistic skills. I am sure I can entertain myself forever in this regard :)  

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
29 Nov 2021 18:02 #72806 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Supergirl Season Six
From a distance the casual observer only sees Supergirl. As one zooms in there are many layers like an onion made of nanobots or a drone light show,.

More
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds