Amount

Isabel Stolen by a Dragoness by Sidd

05 Jan 2016 18:50 #45929 by fats
hi all,

I thought i might start a thread for any comments of the new story titled Isabel Stolen by a Dragoness written by Sidd.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Jan 2016 19:41 #45930 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Isabel Stolen by a Dragoness by Sidd
Liked it a lot.

Fantasy stories started out as stories told to children, fairy tales. At some point they Turned into Lord of the rings, which morphed over the Decades into game of thrones...etc

This has some of that old fashion vibe. Great voice, good style and a lot of fun little tale.

More
07 Jan 2016 01:05 #45958 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic Isabel Stolen by a Dragoness by Sidd
I liked it too. I'm a sucker for fantasy ubergirl stories. Glad to see you back, too. April the Invincible is one of my favorites.

More
08 Jan 2016 17:48 #45979 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Isabel Stolen by a Dragoness by Sidd
Not a bad effort, but this story weirded me out a bit. I'm a sucker for fantasy stories -- which shouldn't be a surprise given that I'm also very much into D&D and so on -- but this story didn't really click with me. I appreciate the attempt and the epilogue provide a bit of a window for future installments, but overall I found the narrative too plain for my tastes. Perhaps it's the fact that we got a lot of characters showing on stage and a very tightly packed action scene without any explanation, any element. Except for Flare none of the characters has a meaningful description and this makes them more akin to shadow play than a real scene in my eyes.
Still, I'm more than interested to see where the story goes from here.

More
10 Jan 2016 22:18 #45999 by naked.superpower
Replied by naked.superpower on topic Isabel Stolen by a Dragoness by Sidd
Hi all! I'm happy to have received feedback from you.) My favorite superpower stories are rooted in ancient mythology and medieval tales. I wish there were more of them, so I decided to add my 5 cents.
I think I will organize myself to make at least a few more pieces. This was kind of "The beginning" story for one of the heroines of a series (and I already have 3 heroines in my head, each needs some space in some story to act).
Woodclaw, you have opened a great question. In earlier stories, I think I made more precise descriptions of my heroines, experimented with this. But reading through others' stories, I found that too specific details usually do not make it better for me. Spot-check descriptions that specified only the most important things would give my imagination some food to digest, and it would draw the rest, in the most magnificent way. When descriptions are too detailed, my perception is over-fed and I sometimes find myself ignoring some parts of it. And again, I just recalled how it was in old tales. A hero's portrait was rather a special feature of some particular myths than an obligatory introduction. So, I decided to describe less and only when I really feel a need for that.
Maybe I overdid this, and anyways, Woodclaw, thanks for noticing. I will try to look at this with your eyes.
Surely, there will be a story with an "Isabel particular Description" special feature .)
And, Jabbrwok, I'm happy that my earlier stories are not forgotten )

• naked.superpower
More
18 Jan 2016 04:35 #46081 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Isabel Stolen by a Dragoness by Sidd
I think the detail might be at about the level for me.

It felt sort of mythic/fairy tale without the extra details. A lot of Fariy tales don't spend too much time on the physical descriptions of all the characters, they do focus on the "important parts". I myself haven't' figured out the right level/kinds of details to include when I write, but as a reader this story worked well for me.

I did like that despite the enormous power imbalance the attackers managed to get one strike in that annoyed her (stabbing her while she was going to breathe fire). I also liked the dragons like to sleep, so that despite her enormous power, she could have failed to protect her charge simply because she couldn't wake up.

I've always liked the element that dragons can shape change -- and like the idea here that the "dragon" form might not even be their real form. I love stories where young dragons start out as human, and might not even really know they are dragons. (Probably a good hook for an über girl story).
The following user(s) said Thank You: naked.superpower

More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds