Amount

Dinner Party, a novella

31 Mar 2017 11:51 - 31 Mar 2017 12:48 #53431 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Dinner Party, a novella
AU2017 isn't that different from AU-3 except in the change of names for Kara and the Arions. But there are some contrasts. Here's Shadar on Seeding:

<<It begins with the Galen, a very advanced alien race who discovered that humans are both intelligent and uniquely resilient, and have a genome that’s easy (for them) to create "client races" who can populate Earth-like planets across the galaxy. They’ve secretly been abducting people from Earth for thousands of years. These abducted “Terrans” are tweaked to be able to live in the various environments on the worlds they want to populate. There are now hundreds of human-populated worlds out there.>>

In the original version of AU-2, there were protos like the Olympians, Geheimites and Tanzrobians who were enhanced by the Galen before their creation of the Velorians. But there hadn't been any tweaking of later abductees for Seeded worlds; planets like Belside (whose survivors founded Kelsor 7), Nova Iberia, Tazzi and Andros were populated with ordinary humans from different ethnic groups. Reigel 5's settlers also included Daimoni, a client race of the Elders with mental rather than physical powers, although I don't think it was ever quite clear how that came about.

But in an edit of First Protector 1, Shadar made Jana Sunderland an immigrant from Zeta-5, a high-gravity world. I went along with that, so it's now part of AU-3, but still not typical of AU-3.

--Brantley
Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 12:48 by brantley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2017 00:57 #53720 by jay_manus
Replied by jay_manus on topic Dinner Party, a novella
Shadar, I just want to add my voice to those who enjoyed your novella. It brought back all the memories of the early days, when you were the only one doing any significant writing. It's wonderful that so many others have now joined the fray, but we all owe you a debt for getting us started. You made it safe for us to consider powerful female characters who didn't necessarily come from the comic books or wear capes (not that those are bad! - but it really blew open the flood gates in my mind at least). And of course the richness and fullness of your universes are inspirational.

Are you receiving my thanks yet? :-)

I'm gonna go back and re-read some of your earlier work now.

Thanks,
Jay

More
22 Apr 2017 00:38 #53741 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Dinner Party, a novella

jay_manus wrote: Shadar, I just want to add my voice to those who enjoyed your novella. It brought back all the memories of the early days, when you were the only one doing any significant writing. It's wonderful that so many others have now joined the fray, but we all owe you a debt for getting us started. You made it safe for us to consider powerful female characters who didn't necessarily come from the comic books or wear capes (not that those are bad! - but it really blew open the flood gates in my mind at least). And of course the richness and fullness of your universes are inspirational.

Are you receiving my thanks yet? :-)

I'm gonna go back and re-read some of your earlier work now.

Thanks,
Jay

I appreciate the very kind words, Jay.

I'm trying to write with a style similar to my earlier work but with the polish (if I may be bold enough to presume) that comes from writing a few million words in this genre. That early period was the most fun.

I'm glad to see that Dinner Party reminds you of my early work, so I'm on the right track perhaps.

Hard at work now on Part 2: Golden Planet

Shadar

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Sep 2017 03:07 - 07 Sep 2017 03:14 #56137 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Dinner Party, a novella
Was bored at work so reread the whole thing. Wow, quite the book. Loved it. Forgot the twist. Did not remember the ending either so that was a surprise. Was it ever continued?

spoiler

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 07 Sep 2017 03:14 by Sarge395.

• Sarge395
More
15 Sep 2017 01:13 #56246 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Dinner Party, a novella

Sarge395 wrote: Was bored at work so reread the whole thing. Wow, quite the book. Loved it. Forgot the twist. Did not remember the ending either so that was a surprise. Was it ever continued?

spoiler

Warning: Spoiler!

Glad you liked it, Sarge. This is my new style of writing now. Takes me forever to get right.

Dinner Party is part 1 of a trilogy. It will continue, Sarge. I'm juggling a couple of stories right now. Hopefully before Halloween.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
More
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds