Amount

Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

24 May 2015 06:42 - 24 May 2015 06:43 #42313 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Considering how easy it was for even me to find the pilot, I think it's safe to assume this was deliberate. CBS is not convinced. Despite the millions that tuned into the trailer, they want everyone to see the pilot, and see who shows up for more. I get Swm policy on pirating...but cmon...in this instance we should apply common sense. Especially when you consider that they've done this before
Last edit: 24 May 2015 06:43 by d_k_c.
The topic has been locked.
  • d_k_c
  • Away
More
24 May 2015 06:50 #42314 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Oh...and as for what I thought of the pilot. I will simply say this.....what more could We ask for?
  • d_k_c
  • Away
More
24 May 2015 07:02 #42315 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

ArgentDragon wrote:

shadar wrote: Watching the pilot ahead of time won't change my desire to watch the show. Or my desire to tune into the broadcast pilot (albeit by DVR). That's just a one hour intro. I'm looking forward to a few seasons of episodes that will hopefully total up to 45 or maybe as much as 60 hours of entertainment. Pilot is mere drop in the bucket (finger's crossed, anyway).

But I haven't taken the time to figure out the whole BitTorrent thing for OS X yet. Just knowing it's out there to watch and that I don't have to wait six months to see it is comforting enough.

Meals eaten slowly are more enjoyable. (But starvation isn't).

Actually, Shad, networks put more stock in live viewing numbers than in DVR. In the minds of Network Execs, watching something via DVR says 'sure I'm interested, but not as interested in it as I am in what I watched live'. So, it's sort of a half mark to them. If it's a question of you physically not being able to watch it live, then yes, DVR is best. But if it's a question of watching 'Gotham' vs. "Supergirl' live, then it's going into the 'prefers Gotham over Supergirl' statistic column. And they know exactly how many people are watching each show live, thanks to cable boxes.

I probably screw up the statistics then, because I NEVER watch a show live. Not since the invention of the DVR. Not about to start now. The reason is simple -- I can't stand commercials. DVR lets me skip over them. And I'm on DirecTV satellite and not a cable box. If the networks only care about live watchers, then they are doomed.

I also watch a lot of episodes on AppleTV or Netflix, etc. Every year, more of that is on-line as opposed to DVR.

To be honest, I can't understand why anyone would adjust their life to watch a show when the network decides to show it. There are so many options to do it your own way.
  • shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
24 May 2015 15:52 #42318 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

shadar wrote:

I agree that it's silly to arrange your life around a show given the technology. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the American television business models. The higher the live ratings, the more they can sell those commercial spots for. And Supergirl is going to be competing for the most coveted demographic. it used to be that shows were given time to develop an audience, but these days, if a show doesn't perform to expectations, especially a costly FX-intense show like Supergirl, it'll be cancelled after just a couple episodes. We have an advantage in that there's a full season commitment already, so a cancellation order would come later in the season or right after the end of the season (like Constantine). But, if the initial live numbers are good, we could have a renewal for another season within the first couple of episodes (like Flash). The key is having a huge viewership for the pilot and a minimal drop-off for the second and third episodes.

The bottom line is: the more live eyeballs watch the first few episodes, even if they mute the commercials, the better chances there are of a second season.
More
24 May 2015 17:34 - 24 May 2015 19:16 #42320 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
If this was a Delibrate leak...thats kind of the fascinating thing about it.

For this, they don't make a dollar.

They spent 14 million on this pilot. This is going Cost them audience share of the pilot. Maybe not huge but some. And Audience share is how they make there money. So by leaking it they are loosing money.

They are gambling on the fact that a bit of a negative buzz was developing around the show, such that releasing it right away and correcting it with so far mostly posstive reviews would help with that. Fine. Its possible by november that this negative buzz uncorected would have hurt the show. But they are still loosing money today.

Becuse of course the 14 million dollar pilot isn't really make there money but the show over the long term.... such to a degree that there almost willing to throw out the money they would have made from the pilot.

Ahh.

I am not going to say this a good move or a bad move= but its a balsy move.

If the show had been a flop with audiences maybe by november that would have made it poison and i got to belive even if they canceled it today they would have been on the hook for at least 10 episodes for i am going to guess for at least 50 million. so. Props on your moxy for trying. .
Last edit: 24 May 2015 19:16 by castor.
More
24 May 2015 18:10 #42321 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
IMO this is def. a deliberate release. I just watched it (being from the UK there was no way I was going to wait until next year - even IF it is shown then, as no broadcaster has yet to pick it up - to get a chance to see this.

There is a 7GB version (which I saw) out there that is 1080p and an incredible bit rate (the picture and audio are crystal clear). No FX missing, and some of the shots used are slightly different then the trailer. No way a boot copy has looked so good (at least none that I have ever seen, and I've seen my fair share).

I agree with Castor, it is a brave move. And it sounds like it is generating buzz (mostly positive) which is always a good sign, so looks like it is paying off.

Not going to give any review or descriptions except to say I was EXTREMELY impressed with it. Some really nice touches and really well paced. I already have my money for the box set ready to go.

Can't wait to follow Kara's adventures in November.

Peace.

/K

P.S. If anything in this post is deemed inappropriate, please feel free to delete it mods.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar
More
24 May 2015 20:41 #42325 by talk2sparky
Replied by talk2sparky on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

castor wrote: If this was a Delibrate leak...thats kind of the fascinating thing about it.

For this, they don't make a dollar.

They spent 14 million on this pilot. This is going Cost them audience share of the pilot. Maybe not huge but some. And Audience share is how they make there money. So by leaking it they are loosing money.

They are gambling on the fact that a bit of a negative buzz was developing around the show, such that releasing it right away and correcting it with so far mostly posstive reviews would help with that. Fine. Its possible by november that this negative buzz uncorected would have hurt the show. But they are still loosing money today.

Becuse of course the 14 million dollar pilot isn't really make there money but the show over the long term.... such to a degree that there almost willing to throw out the money they would have made from the pilot.

Ahh.

I am not going to say this a good move or a bad move= but its a balsy move.

If the show had been a flop with audiences maybe by november that would have made it poison and i got to belive even if they canceled it today they would have been on the hook for at least 10 episodes for i am going to guess for at least 50 million. so. Props on your moxy for trying. .

I disagree. That $14 million is sunk money at this point. It costs them nothing to leak it. Might it cost them viewing audience for the premiere episode? Maybe, but they are more concerned for the season. They committed to a full season and they need to sell advertising for that full season. If the leak is deliberate, and I think it is, it was a ballsy move by CBS that paid off. Reviews have been mostly positive and it does answer some of criticisms of the trailer.

I watched it and I never download torrents. It was worth it. I could have waited, but now I feel more confident in recommending the show. They only critique I have (SPOILER, SORT OF, BUT NOT REALLY) is that crammed a lot into the pilot, but they kind of needed to. The cast is great and I think the tone is set for a great series.

Go Supergirl!
More
25 May 2015 16:48 - 25 May 2015 16:52 #42345 by shadar

kikass2014 wrote: IMO this is def. a deliberate release. I just watched it (being from the UK there was no way I was going to wait until next year - even IF it is shown then, as no broadcaster has yet to pick it up - to get a chance to see this.

There is a 7GB version (which I saw) out there that is 1080p and an incredible bit rate (the picture and audio are crystal clear). No FX missing, and some of the shots used are slightly different then the trailer. No way a boot copy has looked so good (at least none that I have ever seen, and I've seen my fair share).

I agree with Castor, it is a brave move. And it sounds like it is generating buzz (mostly positive) which is always a good sign, so looks like it is paying off.

Not going to give any review or descriptions except to say I was EXTREMELY impressed with it. Some really nice touches and really well paced. I already have my money for the box set ready to go.

Can't wait to follow Kara's adventures in November.

Peace.

/K

P.S. If anything in this post is deemed inappropriate, please feel free to delete it mods.

I agree that that the big 1080p version of the Pilot has extremely high production values. It looks completely finished to me, although at 46 minutes, it's 6 minutes longer than the usual 'hour long' broadcast TV show. They are either going to sell less advertising time than usual during the broadcast, or they have to cut six minutes before it shows to jam in the usual amount of commercials.

No credits either, so that means they'll have to cut more. So this is probably the "extended version" of the broadcast pilot. Given it was so jam packed, if they cut anything they will leave out things that are quite revealing and important. Or perhaps they won't repeat some of the footage that we've already seen in the Teaser. Unlikely given not everyone watches Teasers.

Shadar
Last edit: 25 May 2015 16:52 by shadar.
  • shadar
More
25 May 2015 17:31 - 25 May 2015 17:46 #42346 by shadar
IO9 has an excellent (non-spoiler) review of the Pilot... which I mostly agree with. Check it out:

io9.com/i-saw-the-supergirl-pilot-and-it...retty-sup-1706318019

The post on IO9 has hundreds of comments, most of them interesting and only a few that are spoilers. Great discussion and amazingly positive for a site that can be very harsh on some movies and shows.

Shadar
Last edit: 25 May 2015 17:46 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo
  • shadar
More
25 May 2015 22:31 #42350 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Agree. Having followed a few forum discussions, the general opinion seems to be a positive one.

Which is never a bad thing.

Seems like the "gamble" is working. Roll on November.

Peace.

/K
More
25 May 2015 22:39 #42351 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
the pilot that has been "released" is version 1 of he show, there is a second version that will be shown.

Fats
  • fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
26 May 2015 03:41 - 26 May 2015 05:27 #42358 by castor
In a i am not sure they will do, but maybe they should do it...

If the episode is 46 minutes long which is a little long for a TV show, and is by all accounts maybe a little overstuffed with material...do you think there is any chance that they would film another hour (well 40 or so minutes ) and make it a two hour event?

I will be willing to bet that would get a pretty good rating for both hours of the program . Also i bet it would be *reasonably* cheep as i would think they would primarily you know non SFX shots-cheeper then filming the rest of the episode(though maybe you add a touch more). And regardless if they did it or not it could help draw some of the people who have downloaded the pilot.

and well maybe let the story breath a little bit longer which isn't the worst impulse-or also give some more room to work with some of the criticisms people have said of the pilot and the trailers.

This kind of thing has been done before-its actually not too uncommon to shoot in effect half a pilot as a kind of test film, knowing that if it gets picked up you'll add more footage.

The two hour pilot is something you sometimes see and with i am going to predict- the first episode is going to get HUGE Ratings doing something to make a night of it isn't the worst impulse
Last edit: 26 May 2015 05:27 by castor.
More
26 May 2015 05:12 #42361 by shadar

castor wrote: In a i am not sure they will do, but maybe they should do it...

If the episode is 46 minutes long which is a little long for a TV show, and is by all accounts maybe a little overstuffed with material...do you think there is any chance that they would film another hour (well 4o or so minutes ) minutes and make it a two hour event?

I will be willing to bet that would get a pretty good rating for both hours of the program . Also i bet it would be *reasonably* cheep as i would think they would primarily you know non shots-cheeper then filming the rest of the episode(though maybe you add a touch more). And regardless if they did it or not it could help draw some of the people who have downloaded the pilot.

and well maybe let the story breath a little bit longer which isn't the worst impulse-or also give some more room to work with some of the critiisms people have said of the pilot and the trailers.

The two hour pilot is something you sometimes see and with i am going to predict- the first episode is going to get HUGE Ratings doing something to make a night of it isn't the worst impulse

Interestingly, given it's 46 minutes in a 40 minute window (and you know there is plenty on the cutting room floor, so to speak), take 6 minutes off the second 40 minutes, toss in some credits or whatever, and you only need to add 30 additional minutes of content to have a two hour show. The show is overstuffed even with the 46 minutes, it feels too fast and rushed in places, so this might not be hard at all.
  • shadar
More
26 May 2015 11:33 - 26 May 2015 11:34 #42363 by Fred9101
Replied by Fred9101 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I Hope Kara will use her super strength often in civil clothes. What do you think guys?
Last edit: 26 May 2015 11:34 by Fred9101.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL
More
26 May 2015 13:20 #42367 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
completely agree
More
30 May 2015 13:50 #42477 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Let me try to stir up a little more conversion with some pixelated inspiration ...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Btw, if you're a member of DA please take the time to fave and comment on any work you enjoy. I'm sure I speak for all of the artists and writers here when I say that a few moments to scribble some words of encouragement (even constructive criticism) means a lot to the people who slave over a hot laptop to bring you the videos, pics and stories we all enjoy.

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, mo, Sarge395, jdrock24, inactive, Albais
More
02 Jun 2015 05:27 - 02 Jun 2015 05:28 #42531 by SupergirlTV
Replied by SupergirlTV on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Well we've finally seen the Supergirl Pilot. CBS and Warner Brothers granted us the privilege to watch it and write a review. So we've got a spoiler free review on the site. What I wanted to stop by and say, however, is that production on the show has resumed. We have some hints on who we might see on episode 2.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 05:28 by SupergirlTV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Markiehoe
More
02 Jun 2015 11:35 #42540 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Wow, good on you Supergirl TV for getting an Official release to watch.

I am glad you got such an honor.
More
09 Jun 2015 19:29 #42705 by bach2990
Replied by bach2990 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Supergirl will premiere on October 26 at 8:30pm est and November 2 it will premiere at its regular time 8pm est.

seen on twitter

instagram

More
09 Jun 2015 19:59 #42706 by castor
That seems odd (8:30 pm) if the shows 60 minute-almost all 60 minute shows in america start on the hour.

maybe there expanding it to 90 minutes(which i have said before makes some kind of sence) But even if they do that(which they do sometimes) they still typically start it on the hour)

Granted theres no good reason not to do this...so i guess well. But seems odd, unless maybe they want to give it a good lead in for its first episode to really push it.
More
09 Jun 2015 20:02 - 09 Jun 2015 20:06 #42707 by bach2990
Last edit: 09 Jun 2015 20:06 by bach2990.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scwank
More
10 Jun 2015 00:09 - 10 Jun 2015 00:18 #42710 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Forgive me, but this had to be done. :)

Attachment infinite2.jpg not found

R5

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 10 Jun 2015 00:18 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Albais, Supergirlfan, Markiehoe, erikphandel
More
10 Jun 2015 12:55 #42716 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
October 26th
I'll be there.
More
12 Jun 2015 18:12 #42744 by Markiehoe
The following user(s) said Thank You: jyache
More
16 Jun 2015 14:59 #42811 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

Has anyone else noticed that they changed the music at the end of the trailer? It used to be "This is my fight song" now it is something else. I wonder why?
More
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds