Amount

Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

30 May 2015 13:50 #42477 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Let me try to stir up a little more conversion with some pixelated inspiration ...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Btw, if you're a member of DA please take the time to fave and comment on any work you enjoy. I'm sure I speak for all of the artists and writers here when I say that a few moments to scribble some words of encouragement (even constructive criticism) means a lot to the people who slave over a hot laptop to bring you the videos, pics and stories we all enjoy.

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, mo, Sarge395, jdrock24, inactive, Albais
The topic has been locked.
More
02 Jun 2015 05:27 - 02 Jun 2015 05:28 #42531 by SupergirlTV
Replied by SupergirlTV on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Well we've finally seen the Supergirl Pilot. CBS and Warner Brothers granted us the privilege to watch it and write a review. So we've got a spoiler free review on the site. What I wanted to stop by and say, however, is that production on the show has resumed. We have some hints on who we might see on episode 2.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 05:28 by SupergirlTV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Markiehoe
More
02 Jun 2015 11:35 #42540 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Wow, good on you Supergirl TV for getting an Official release to watch.

I am glad you got such an honor.
More
09 Jun 2015 19:29 #42705 by bach2990
Replied by bach2990 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Supergirl will premiere on October 26 at 8:30pm est and November 2 it will premiere at its regular time 8pm est.

seen on twitter

instagram

More
09 Jun 2015 19:59 #42706 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
That seems odd (8:30 pm) if the shows 60 minute-almost all 60 minute shows in america start on the hour.

maybe there expanding it to 90 minutes(which i have said before makes some kind of sence) But even if they do that(which they do sometimes) they still typically start it on the hour)

Granted theres no good reason not to do this...so i guess well. But seems odd, unless maybe they want to give it a good lead in for its first episode to really push it.
More
09 Jun 2015 20:02 - 09 Jun 2015 20:06 #42707 by bach2990
Last edit: 09 Jun 2015 20:06 by bach2990.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scwank
More
10 Jun 2015 00:09 - 10 Jun 2015 00:18 #42710 by five_red
Forgive me, but this had to be done. :)

Attachment infinite2.jpg not found

R5

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 10 Jun 2015 00:18 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Albais, Supergirlfan, Markiehoe, erikphandel
More
10 Jun 2015 12:55 #42716 by Markiehoe
October 26th
I'll be there.
More
12 Jun 2015 18:12 #42744 by Markiehoe
The following user(s) said Thank You: jyache
More
16 Jun 2015 14:59 #42811 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

Has anyone else noticed that they changed the music at the end of the trailer? It used to be "This is my fight song" now it is something else. I wonder why?
More
16 Jun 2015 20:30 - 16 Jun 2015 20:31 #42814 by five_red

jdrock24 wrote: Has anyone else noticed that they changed the music at the end of the trailer? It used to be "This is my fight song" now it is something else. I wonder why?

Licensing, almost certainly. Three possibilities: (1) someone goofed and didn't license the music properly, or (2) the track was only licensed for a limited time period and was always intended to be changed, or (3) licensing was based on the number of YouTube downloads, and given how often that trailer has been accessed CBS probably figured they'd cut their losses before the numbers on the royalty cheques had too many zeros.

R5
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 20:31 by five_red. Reason: Remove embedded video
More
17 Jun 2015 07:00 #42821 by bach2990
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe
More
19 Jun 2015 07:14 - 19 Jun 2015 11:28 #42833 by bach2990
Replied by bach2990 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
She is coming to comic con, can't Come. A really long trip, hope someone will be there and report please.

Last edit: 19 Jun 2015 11:28 by bach2990.
More
19 Jun 2015 11:22 #42834 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I'll be there. I'll keep it in mind if its actually on the schedule.
More
19 Jun 2015 18:08 #42835 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I last visited Comicon in 2009. The lines to get in to some of the panels were sleepovers outside around the block. I think it was Twilight that was just impossible to get into.
More
19 Jun 2015 23:01 - 19 Jun 2015 23:09 #42837 by five_red
Good news: Supergirl Radio tweeted one of my Supergirl pics for its #FanArtFriday.

Bad news: it's a version someone stole, removed my signature tag (in the corner) and posted on tumblr as their own.

Irony: everyone favs and retweets the knock off, nobody does anything for the original. #OhWhyDoIEvenBother :) :) :)

Last edit: 19 Jun 2015 23:09 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
More
19 Jun 2015 23:07 #42838 by Albais
Replied by Albais on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Well let the guys know that is you and to the pirate one to hell with him...
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red
More
20 Jun 2015 01:12 #42840 by Markiehoe
Five_Red
It really sucks that your work got pirated and that people view it from sites not intended by you.
Was it pirated by a torrent site?
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red
More
20 Jun 2015 02:21 - 20 Jun 2015 15:23 #42844 by five_red

Markiehoe wrote: Five_Red
It really sucks that your work got pirated and that people view it from sites not intended by you.
Was it pirated by a torrent site?

Erm, no. Not everything is the fault of torrents. :)

I just thought it was funny (in a kind-of sad world weary way) that Supergirl Radio had tweeted it under the hashtag #FanArtFriday -- it should have been #ArtPlagiarizedFromGenuineFansFriday. :) Supergirl Radio I'm sure posted it in good faith -- how were they to know it was a cheap rip off of a genuine fan's work? So I don't blame them. (I did tweet them a thank you and a link to the original several hours ago -- so far nothing! Maybe they're offline?)

[EDIT: Seems they were offline after all. They've eventually tweeted out my original -- so applause and a big thumbs up to Supergirl Radio; as I tweeted in reply: they're one of the good guys. They're supporting fan art, and well done them!]

In this case of this pic (as best I can tell) someone on Tumblr just took the image from my DA, removed the small tag in the corner that identifies it as my work, added "Coming this Fall" to the bottom and posted it as their own. Because this person has quite a few followers on Tumblr the pic has been steadily circulating around that site, and has escaped onto other sites credited back to the guy on Tumblr. I've even found it (thanks to Google Image Search) being used on an Asian news site to illustrate a story about the Supergirl series. What pissed me off is that his version uses really $&%#ty compression that makes the image look absolutely awful and blocky, and has been scaled to a fraction of its original HD size.

I mean I'm pretty easy going when it comes to people re-purposing my stuff. I've seen people take my images and photoshop Emma Watson's head onto them(!!) Al (aka 'Albais' here) even sent me an example a few days ago of someone who photoshop'd his girlfriend's head onto one of my Supergirl pics. No big deal -- at least these guys are making a new piece of work... something new and 'transformative' from existing material (like myself!) In fact, I often find these modifications quite amusing -- these people are putting some effort in to turn my pic into something new. But I draw the line at people who think simply cropping or just adding a line or two of text is 'transformative' enough to consider it their own work.

I give my stuff away free, and I don't plaster watermarks all over it -- the tag is deliberately small and translucent so it will only be noticed if you look for it. But even though the tag is as unobtrusive, it doesn't stop people from stripping it. This guy is not the only offender -- there's at least one other culprit, again on Tumblr, who anonymises my work before he posts it. And because it is very easy to amass a huge number of followers on sites like Pinterest and Tumblr by simply creating a constant stream of posts from other people's work, all of the favs and reposts go to these copy/paste merchants, rather than the Twitter/Tumblr/Pinterest/Facebook/whatever accounts of the original artists.

So... why is that a problem?

Well, even if they don't anonymize or alter with the image content, the copy/paste merchants rarely upload high quality versions of the image (or links to the HD versions); so as an artist you have the ultimate insult of having slaved many hours over an image and made it available for free, only to have 500 people 'like' a low resolution, horribly re-compressed, low-grade copy posted by someone else (!!)

Attachment supergirl_radio_knockoff.jpg not found

(Hey, here's an idea c/p merchants if you're reading: why not use the comment box on Tumblr or Pinterest to put a link back to the place you downloaded the original full sized version,?! So other fans can get it too!!)

There's a lot of really great people in this community who give encouragement and support. All it takes is a few idiots, though, to leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Sorry for the OT rant.

R5

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 20 Jun 2015 15:23 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albais
More
20 Jun 2015 21:05 - 20 Jun 2015 21:07 #42854 by Albais
Replied by Albais on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Albais here and on DA knows R5 work from almost 15 years ago and him personally via chat and respects as person as well as artist.

So if there's a "so called artist" that wants to use the hard previous hours in front of computer i had to let know so can be adviced of what happens. Told as well go to say this guy stop what u're doing or accept the consequences.

If wanna know about it all here's a little link for example:

x5red.tumblr.com/

And Now For Something Completely Different ...
Last edit: 20 Jun 2015 21:07 by Albais. Reason: Few mistakes on text
More
09 Jul 2015 13:10 #43082 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
EW reporting that the initial screening of the pilot was received very positively at Comic-Con:

www.ew.com/article/2015/07/09/supergirl-comic-con

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty
  • lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Jul 2015 23:18 - 10 Jul 2015 16:01 #43094 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
One thing I don't think we've discussed is whether Kara will follow her cousin's "absolutely no deliberate killing" rule (pre-MOS anyways), or whether there are going to be casualties she causes during her most violent fights. Either collateral or direct.

Warning: Spoiler!

There are two categories of potential opinions on this::

1) What do we want to see as character and/or genre fans?

2) What do we think the show producers will do?

Thoughts...?
Last edit: 10 Jul 2015 16:01 by lfan.
  • shadar
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
09 Jul 2015 23:55 #43095 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
It wouldn't bother me if Kara were to do away with bad guy, if he really needed killing. Kind of sexist to argue that a woman wouldn't and shouldn't do what a lot of male heroes (well, ordinary male heroes) do. Idealism vs, realpolitik has also come up in the AU, and in THE HIGH CRUEL YEARS I had Terri Raul'lan (who was with the regular military) follow the realpolitik course to do away with Zar'ya -- yet others did all they could to stave off unnecessary killing.

I hope that SUPERGIRL on TV will address such challenges, and deal with them in a believable manner -- not just flip coins to decide who does what without really addressing the why.

--Brantley
More
10 Jul 2015 03:35 #43097 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I can see her killing her fellow aliens quite readily to protect her sister and family and the human race if need be. Still a big step, but one that may come eventually.
More
10 Jul 2015 04:23 #43099 by Brad2
Replied by Brad2 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Long as they don't wreck her character. Right now, Kara seems like a really nice person. Having her kill villains deliberately as opposed to capturing them seems to me like a step toward making her less sympathetic.

After all, one problem with a lot of heroine in peril material is the heroine is often made to look unsympathetic, so no one roots for her when she gets destroyed. Seems like a scenario where she looks at killing people would be a step in that direction.

On the other hand, a case where she wins by outsmarting the villain rather than solely relying on her powers would make me root for her more.:cheer:

And Superman often used his wits to win the day in the comics and movies...
More
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds