Amount

Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

13 May 2015 23:38 #41971 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Wow, just wow. I can't stop smiling :)
The topic has been locked.
More
13 May 2015 23:52 #41972 by mikeyfreedom
Replied by mikeyfreedom on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Alright, what's the catch? That was amazing. Everything I hoped for.
More
13 May 2015 23:53 #41973 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Yes! Yes! Yes! A thousand times Yes!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
More
13 May 2015 23:57 #41974 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
She looks amazing!!!!!!! The effects look amazing as well.
More
14 May 2015 00:03 #41975 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I don't want to be the downer here, but I'll wait and see. From what we can see chances are this is going to be really good but -- since this is only the first trailer -- there's at least as much as they have shown hidden. What I've seen I like, now on with the rest.
More
14 May 2015 00:16 #41976 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Holy crap! It is amazing. Watched twice. Paused on the skirt minus cape scene for only about a half hour. :evil:

This is everything that I could have hoped for.

Now just waiting for the scene where she is turned evil or mind controlled.
  • Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
14 May 2015 00:42 - 14 May 2015 00:43 #41978 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Very promising. If they can keep that fun, but not campy vibe I'll be excited. There was more action and FX than I was expecting - it will be interesting to see how that shakes out on a weekly basis when they have to be more careful with the budget.

Also, Supergirl vs. 18-Wheeler. Always bet on Supergirl.

Fun!

- GeekSeven
Last edit: 14 May 2015 00:43 by inactive.
More
14 May 2015 02:00 - 14 May 2015 02:29 #41979 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
My thoughts:

One of the things i read of this was Either people seem to think this is great and the best thing they saw or day or a total disaster.

where am i?i can kinda see where both are.

I'll say this-i don't think i have ever seen a five minute trailer i really loved. its not a good format to expose media.They tend to show to much, a little much on focusing on the story which is never really what your selling in a trailer. i think you could have cut out the scene from krypton and the opening naration, which felt a tuch diminious. i think if the first time we see her powers its saving a plane they made a mistake somewhere-you don't start the show with a show stopper. As it keeps going i just kept thinking it shows a little much a little much to give a sence where seeing bits of every scene, which has the effect of being a touch predictable . For a show that started with Heres my story" it felt almost as if you knew the story.

(also i would have cut out all of the stuff about Superman: it doesn't actually help this story)

but well..thats critiquing the trailer.

And heres the important part. When Benoist is on the screen- this is great. As Supergirl shes fantastic, and she gives a great sense of power and just a tad 'oh common' that works to keep it relatable. As Kara, she does a good take on someone whose not quite nerd but not quite anything else either. It feels a good performance, as someone on my facebook feed put it...adorkable, which only increases as it goes forward. As she gets more super and her enthusiasm for it builds its a great montage.

Her scenes with Jeremey Jordan are great-there seems to be a fun comic energy there which i hope the show doesn't loose to quickly if he turns to a villian. Its a great energy, that feels like really great chemestry as if something you would see on the site. A guy just in awe and her reflecting it back.

Someone on my facebook compared it to lois and clark, and if thats this that great. As an action heroine it really sells..She likes it. and thus we like it.

And all of the super stuff are amazing. they clearly pulled all the stops for it and it shows. every beat of it looks fantastic, movie quality and there is a confidence to both the effects works and how there shot that is palatable. Benoist did great in them. Its quite a thrill a lot better then anything on the flash and just feels great. Like the details that when she saves the plane shes wet, and the cape doesn't hold up very well, and that shes bulletproof..and just takes it, and well she breaks things up.

But....

Calista Flockhart is yes doing the devil Wears prada, and yes that can get annoying, and may but theres something to it, and there is something of both the evil and vaugely human. A lot of the critques of the trailer of her, which I'll say is fair, but so far i am okay on . Hank Henshaw is fine though we don't see much of him, though i hope hes just not a generic general. We only see a couple of seconds of Vartox..and man i hope this isn't what they do with Vartox. There is so much potential there. i like the slightly comic tone of it all, and i hope they can transfer it to the main villians..

Which i guess is to the stuff i didn't like.

Her Sister. Awful. Just going to say it. Not sure if its Crystal Leigh or her lines..but she just seems a generic Nag. This is sister as someone who holds you in scorn, not as a positive relationship, which it tried at the end, but well..it just doesn't work. It feels as if a relationship designed by exposition. The scenes i think are suposed to be the emtional beat of the show..and if thats that...ehh..

And Merchad Brooks...i see what there going for, and Benoist does an interesting job of showing attraction..but not really. i don't hate it really, and it could be a lot more, but in the like 10 or seconds when hes talking about how superman posed for the picture feel like a nice human touch. overall its not bad, and it could be something intresting. If this is the shows main rommance, it doesn't feel quite there yet-theres just not real chemstry. And also the last scene with him on the roof-if thats where there going in the pilot that removes a lot of his intrest as a character. it just feels a touch..i guess heavy.

Which i guess is my main complaint-when the show is trying to be serious, the writing is very comicbooky in the worst way. it feels like something from a soap opera.When its trying for funny and exciting this is great. it feels very light and charming and well human.

Which i guess is what i think. This seems human. and thats good.
Last edit: 14 May 2015 02:29 by castor.
More
14 May 2015 03:00 #41982 by thewisewatcher
Replied by thewisewatcher on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
After seeing this trailer I couldn't wait to come to this site and see what other people had to say. I thought the effects were first rate, the actress is pretty and it's giving us the subject matter we all want.

PLEASE let it be good and be renewed for multiple seasons
Commence firing THREAD
More
14 May 2015 03:12 - 14 May 2015 12:18 #41983 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Other than Kara not being blonde enough (a very minor gripe) I was really impressed. Way better than I feared, and even better than my highest hopes.

I didn't originally think Melissa was well cast as Kara, but now that I see where they are going with her, I've changed my mind. She is perfect for the role as written. A favorite of mine like Laura V would not have worked at all. They are clearly writing to Melissa's strengths.

Special effects are WAY better than anything in Smallville, but this is 2015 so they should be.

Sure, its' a bit soap operatic with a lighter spin on the comic book geekdom than I might prefer (they ARE making this for CBS after all). They are trying to leverage the Clark Kent concept more than I would, but I can have fun with what they've done. Clearly when she has to kick ass, she does.

I don't think I like the idea that James Olson is a buddy of Superman and that he knew about Kara before she "came out". That he and Kal El were kind of mentoring and encouraging her without her knowing it. That's not the Jimmy I grew up with, but I might come to like the change.

Agree with other comments that Alexa was a bust, but that could be a problem with editing the trailer. Guess we'll see. I had high hopes for her character being kind of Homelandish. If so, that didn't come through in the trailer.

To Castor's point, these long trailers probably give too much away, but it is 6 months or whatever until it plays. I was afraid that an early, long trailer would hurt the show more than help it (anticipation is a powerful thing), but I think they pulled it off.

Color me enthusiastic and very impressed and most hopeful. I also think I'm going to become a Melissa fan. In and out of costume. I'm glad I was wrong about her.

Shadar
Last edit: 14 May 2015 12:18 by shadar. Reason: network name wrong
  • shadar
  • Away
More
14 May 2015 03:12 #41984 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I have been wary of getting my hopes up too much with this series. Am having a real hard time not getting excited now...looks like they have done an extremely classy job. Now I must try not pine too much waiting for the pilot to air....
More
14 May 2015 03:15 #41985 by castor

thewisewatcher wrote: After seeing this trailer I couldn't wait to come to this site and see what other people had to say. I thought the effects were first rate, the actress is pretty and it's giving us the subject matter we all want.

PLEASE let it be good and be renewed for multiple seasons
Commence firing THREAD

i think in everyway your correct.

i wish i liked the stuff around her better, but...well you know thats the good part about TV. You can see what works and what doesn't. And yeah if this gets multiple seasons i bet its going to be great.
More
14 May 2015 03:28 - 14 May 2015 03:28 #41986 by castor

shadar wrote: Other than Kara not being blonde enough (a very minor gripe) I was really impressed. Way better than I feared, and even better than my highest hopes.
I don't think I like the idea that James Olson is a buddy of Superman and that he knew about Kara before she "came out". That he and Kal El were kind of mentoring and encouraging her with
Shadar

the real problem with that (other then it gives away whats probabbly the last scene of the pilot-which problems) is that well...what does his character do in the second episode? He works in her office...and thats it. The old Superman stuff said "Hey newspapers know all the secrets before they happen"-nope they have the internet.

We have established two other characters who know her secret and her helping her..and..hes the third?

As i said as a love intrest there going for something and i don't think hes horrible as a performance-its just theres nothing much more for his character to do. And even as a love intrest in A TV Show hes in an odd place. Hes a handsome guy,...and what do they do. Hes not really in a point of tension with her. There relationship looks more or less setttled.

I kinda of like the idea-and if they had done this revel say half way through the season, it could have been a nice touch...but 5 minutes in...ehhh.
Last edit: 14 May 2015 03:28 by castor.
More
14 May 2015 03:33 #41987 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
It was a fantastic preview, hope people watch it before it's canned (don't get your hopes up though)

I will say though that the first two minutes are basically the same as the Black Widow PARODY trailer that was on SNL a few weeks ago. Found that to be a bit sad and hilarious.
More
14 May 2015 04:04 #41988 by JAG81
Replied by JAG81 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I thought it was great, being a TV show they can focus on character a little more. I love Kara's enthusiasm when it came to going out and doing the whole superhero thing, like when she was asked if she was sure she was bulletproof and the next shot where she found out the look on her face was great.

I'm definitely looking forward to this series. For the most part superhero movies and tv shows are all male and it will just be nice to have a female focused show. Hopefully this is the beginning of a female superhero trend that will spawn several shows and/or movies that will level the playing field.

JAG
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan
More
14 May 2015 04:09 #41989 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion, Markiehoe, erikphandel, Monty
  • Sarge395
More
14 May 2015 04:16 #41990 by castor

steelknight3000 wrote: It was a fantastic preview, hope people watch it before it's canned (don't get your hopes up though)

I will say though that the first two minutes are basically the same as the Black Widow PARODY trailer that was on SNL a few weeks ago. Found that to be a bit sad and hilarious.

This maybe a case of one of the bits of the show not telling you everything...but part of the problem is i never got a real sence What Cat does. Shes in the media..somehow. Newspapers, TV...its a bit vauge. and yeah it is very cliched Woman media. It feels every bad boss sterotype. At least Devils Wears prada did have a paltable sence that this is fashion and that at least to the people involved mater. this felt vauge.

I kinda of like however what there doing with the Comic Silk where the good heroine is also just an intern-but hey she likes it. Shes just starting out and even if her job is just getting mail and cofee shes starting out in the world, and shes going to make the best of it!! and besides shes a kick ass superhero by night!!!
More
14 May 2015 05:08 #41991 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
That's just Super :)
More
14 May 2015 06:00 - 14 May 2015 06:01 #41992 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

Sarge395 wrote:

MB is absolutely adorable and perfectly cast for this type of show IMO. it goes to show that still promo pictures, especially theirs, don't do it justice. And the internet trolls that were calling her ugly and plain....haha, its more laughable than ever now.

Similarly to the promo photos, I don't think Cat or Alex's performance can really be established from a six minute trailer ( of which they were a tiny part). I find it humorous with all the Devil Wears Prada references people are drawing....like every bitchy or assertive female boss is somehow channeling the ghost of Meryl Streep? I do agree with the comments made that it seems like too many people already know her secret. But that (and maybe some of the dialog) were my only nitpicks. I cannot believe how great that trailer exceeded my expectations!

They definitely look,like they are channeling a LnC vibe to the show as mentioned earlier. If not mistaken, Nina Tassler was is producer on that show so it might not be coincidental. While it might seem sappy to a lot of us, it might be a good play to help insure the shows staying power by appealing to a bigger demographic.

Regardless, if the series consistently delivers the comedy-drama-action shown in the trailer, I'll be glued to it every week (even if it didn't, I probably still would :p)

My $.02
ElF
Last edit: 14 May 2015 06:01 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe
  • lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 May 2015 06:23 #41993 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
What? This is what everyone is excited about? This looks terrible! I can't believe they're going to shit all over Supergirl like this.

Warning: Spoiler!
  • oldHarmonyMotion
More
14 May 2015 10:19 #41994 by dave147
Replied by dave147 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
totally awesome even trailer is super I expect at this early stage just a 30 sec with supergirl flying if lucky for a brief not a 6 min one is beyond anything I expectand i cant wait to nov full pilot and esps just super super that all I can say
More
14 May 2015 10:50 #41995 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I LOVE the second look!

I would be perfectly happy if this was her final version.
The glasses really do it for me.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan
More
14 May 2015 13:56 #41997 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
If you liked it, check out the front page blog for more Super Goodness! ;)
  • lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 May 2015 14:22 #41998 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I'm sorry for this, but I guess I'm going to be "that guy" here.

Don't get me wrong, the action scenes look incredible, and I'm really looking forward to those. However, the rest of it does not look appealing to me at all.

Let me stress the words "to me". I know that this show is not targeted at my demographic (middle aged man). It is being targeted to younger women so CBS probably couldn't care less about whether or not I watch. It just looks too formulaic in the "young girl stuck in crappy job and wants to do better" type of genre, like the movie Devil Wears Prada or the Black Widow SNL skit we saw just last week. I can already hear the internet cries of "RIPOFF!!!" and "FAIL!!!"screaming through my computer.

It was always going to be hard to write this show without being able to show Superman which is why that last scene with her and Olsen seems confusing. I found myself asking "Okay,, Superman is giving her his baby blanket, how nice. Why doesn't he come and do it himself instead of going through Jimmy?"

Oh well, I have a 9 year old daughter so maybe I'll watch it with her and see what she thinks. I'll be watching just for the action scenes.
More
14 May 2015 17:00 #42001 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Nobody commented on the first scene in the pilot where she bumps into a guy and he just bounces off of her. I thought that was a nice touch.
  • oldHarmonyMotion
More
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds