Amount

Season 1 x 05 Spoilers and Discussions How Does She Do It?

29 Oct 2015 22:48 #44854 by SupergirlTV
Check out the title, synopsis and first photo for Supergirl's episode 4 www.supergirl.tv/ep-4-how-does-she-do-it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SupergirlTV
  • SupergirlTV's Avatar Topic Author
More
29 Oct 2015 23:15 #44856 by lfan
Please post all spoilers, news, and discussions about Episode 4, "How Does She Do It?" here

ElF

More
30 Oct 2015 02:06 #44863 by SupergirlTV

Here is the official image

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• SupergirlTV
  • SupergirlTV's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2015 05:07 #44868 by Random321
Okay - that image is awesome. It's so cool to have a show doing all the things I wish I could have executed on with PSW.

• Random321
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Nov 2015 14:16 #45121 by lfan
Trailer dropped the other day for Episode 4:

supergirl.dcentertainmentnews.com/video.cfm?vid=896

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo

More
12 Nov 2015 14:20 #45122 by kikass2014
Nice :) Looks fairly action-packed compared to the last episode.

Look forward to seeing it :)

Thnx Lfan :)

Peace.

/K

More
12 Nov 2015 14:47 #45124 by lfan
And at :24 for a brief glimpse.....is that Aunt Astra chasing her in flight?!?!?! :D

ElF

More
12 Nov 2015 16:12 #45126 by mo
Looks like more good fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
24 Nov 2015 04:55 #45340 by YAGS
So the episode aired a week late, but it did air. Now that we've seen Cat's son hanging out with Winn so much at the office, it makes Cat's comment in the "next" episode (which already aired) about not knowing who Winn is that much funnier. Or just a big continuity error, but I'm letting that one go for once, because it really is in character for her to have no clue about the little people in her company that she doesn't work with directly.

For once, nothing jumped out at me as obvious bad logic, either, though I don't think Maxwell Lord should have showed his hand so much. This episode clearly establishes him as having the same relationship to Supergirl in this show that Lex Luthor has had with Superman ever since they got rebooted in the 80s. I just thought he admitted a little too much in that final conversation with Supergirl. In similar circumstances in the past, Lex has always maintained his denial a little more adamantly when Superman confronts him.

In writing this, I just realized that this is the first episode so far that I've found truly entertaining. The first three seemed like setup that had to be done, but were somewhat plodding and not that great. Livewire didn't quite click for me. This one worked as a truly entertaining episode, IMHO.

And my favorite line of the episode: "You've spent more time in the friend zone than you spent in the Phantom Zone."
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, five_red

More
24 Nov 2015 12:15 #45343 by five_red
My review:

This was another competent episode, well paced, nicely written, with some nice acting. Particular credit goes to Peter Facinelli, whose pitch-perfect delivery of low-key menace is shaping Maxwell Lord into perhaps the most interesting character on the show. And that's saying something, given how interesting some of the other characters are starting to become (eg. Hank Henshaw!)

Do I detect the beginnings of a Maxwell / Alex romance? Some of the dialogue suggests the establishing of the ol' trope made famous by movies starring the likes of Hepburn / Grant: characters who love to hate each other, who eventually realise they are made for each other in the final act. That might make life interesting for Kara.

There wasn't a lot wrong with the episode. Some of the train shots at the end (where Supergirl slows the carriages down) were clearly CGI, but aside from that the visuals worked pretty well. We obviously have a noticeable continuity bump in James / Lucy's relationship caused by the Paris attack's swapping of episodes -- rekindling their relationship last week but lukewarm this -- but that's entirely forgiveable under the circumstance. Aside from that there wasn't an awful lot else to comment on; the whole the episode ticked along nicely, it didn't blow me away, but then I don't think it was trying to..!

On a personal note, I tweeted a new pic (below) during the show and got an immediate response from some of the cast/crew (which was nice of them!) -- including a handful of tweets from David Harewood himself. Very glad DH has thrown his hat into the ring to be the next James Bond. I could really see him in the role (although, admittedly, my preference would edge slightly in favour of Idris Elba if he could be persuaded to do it!)

R5

More
24 Nov 2015 13:34 #45346 by YAGS
Yeah, I thought Maxwell and Alex had good chemistry, too, up until we find out he's the bad guy at the end. That pretty much squashes that potential, I think.

More
24 Nov 2015 13:43 #45347 by Markiehoe
Maxwell was revealed as a straight up villain way to early.
On the other hand it does clear the way so Kara and Max can match wits.

More
24 Nov 2015 16:10 #45350 by lfan

five_red wrote: My review:

On a personal note, I tweeted a new pic (below) during the show and got an immediate response from some of the cast/crew (which was nice of them!) -- including a handful of tweets from David Harewood himself. Very glad DH has thrown his hat into the ring to be the next James Bond. I could really see him in the role (although, admittedly, my preference would edge slightly in favour of Idris Elba if he could be persuaded to do it!)

R5

Nice job on the pic, R5, and very cool that some of the cast (deservedly) gave you kudos for it! Always nice to get positive feedback, especially from some major players inside the fandom themselves!

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

More
24 Nov 2015 16:41 #45351 by jdrock24
Wow! Great job five-red! Very impressive.

As for the episode, I rate it just a tick below last week's "Livewire" episode. I enjoyed the super hero aspects of the show but really do not care about the "love triangle" plot lines. They were lessened last week when they sent Olsen and Lane out of town.

Outside of that though, I found the episode very intriguing. I think it is pretty clear that Henshaw is a cyborg. Although I wonder why Supergirl hasn't figured it out yet with her super hearing or X-ray vision? Hopefully this is explained later. Oh, and Lord's role as Supergirl's Luthor has been established. That relationship could have some twists and turns in the future.

More
25 Nov 2015 03:56 #45361 by Random321
I never thought I'd be saying it, but I'm liking the Cat Grant character (and Calista Flockhart's as an actress) more and more each episode. It took a Supergirl show to do it - but there we are. Ally Mcbeal is almost forgiven.

The Hank and Alex characters are also growing on me. I'd watch a show about the DEO only at this point. I'm hoping we get more Winn time, I'm sure there is much more to develop there.

The Maxwell character isn't doing it for me as a main villain/misunderstood hero just yet. We'll see. Normally I really like the villain and almost get "ra-ra badguy" (Diehard) or I'm looking forward to the beat down (James Bond). I'm still indifferent.

My thoughts are James are also inconsistent.

What I am liking about this show is still the tone. This is the SG I've always wanted. Also, very unusual for network TV, I enjoy watching the episode twice, and normally catch things like one liners I didn't catch the first time around (my level of distraction might be part of that but I'm still so glad it's a fun show with more than one dimension.).

• Random321
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 Nov 2015 22:51 #45398 by Random321
Oh - and the building save - love it! I know there is nothing new under the sun and I doubt the authors/VFX guys are PSW fans but:

projectsuperwoman.com/videos.php#54
Mindy Marvel: Met Your Match

The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Markiehoe

• Random321
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
26 Nov 2015 00:42 #45402 by shadar

Random321 wrote: Oh - and the building save - love it! I know there is nothing new under the sun and I doubt the authors/VFX guys are PSW fans but:

projectsuperwoman.com/videos.php#54
Mindy Marvel: Met Your Match

I like yours a lot better, Random. At least your girl looks like she's really lifting something heavy. Kara was putting no effort into it, and saved it with her heat vision (how does that work on concrete?).

I have to admit though, while I didn't like the episode on first viewing, on second viewing (and coming from a different state of mind, if you will) I think it's a fine episode. They've established her human nemesis.

The thing that rings just a little off is that Auntie Astra and her people have vanished. If she's going to be the ultimate nemesis, then they can't just write her out for a few episodes.

For my money, they should have started with these human villains at the beginning, and just as she's about to shut down Maxwell and expose what he's up to, then Auntie Astra's people join with him to oppose her, which ensures the struggle will continue -- and making everything more dangerous. Or alternatively, and much better, to show that Kryptonian tech is behind Maxwell's accomplishments, what with scientists from Fort Roz working for Maxwell. Maxwell and Astra would be seriously dangerous if they were in bed together (literally and/or figuratively).

As it is, we have two completely parallel nemesis plot lines, without any links between them (that we have so far seen). That's not the way a story is supposed to work. Either the villains have unrevealed links between them, or this is bad writing (ala Whack-a-Mole).

Agree with comments that Cat is becoming a more interesting characters, and that Calista is putting in a nuanced performance. I'm sure Harrison Ford is having fun watching his wife work again on TV.

Time will tell...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
26 Nov 2015 04:24 #45403 by Random321

shadar wrote: I like yours a lot better, Random. At least your girl looks like she's really lifting something heavy. Kara was putting no effort into it, and saved it with her heat vision (how does that work on concrete?).

If you watch it a fourth time - take a look at how the concrete stucco crumbles away and shows that there is a steel beam inside the column. Then you can see a vertical crack forming in the steel on both sides. She uses her heat vision on that to weld the steel. (I only defend it because I think in that Mindy Marvel episode I might have her do the same thing with her "arc/electrical vision." B)

• Random321
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds