Amount

Season 1 x 06 Spoilers and Discussions Red Faced

03 Dec 2015 14:12 #45483 by lfan
Weighing in late, but as a whole, I rather liked the episode, aside from the the look of RT, as has been mentioned here ad nauseum. Couple of talking points/comments on others commentary:

-- The plausibility of "personality disorder of the week"? When you say it that way, it seems silly, but after thinking about it -- and being married for 20+ years -- I KNOW this is COMPLETELY plausible. While they might be going overboard at times, IMO they are making Kara's personality experence ups and downs like a normal person, triggered by certain events.
-- Gratuitous opening action scene? I like it....while its shown to basically just be shown, I like that the producers are giving us some superpowered eye candy. I remember when the show was announced that people were speculating that we'd get 10 maybe 15 minutes of "Supergirl" per episode. This, so far, has been quite the opposite.
-- Freak of the Week. Again, I don't mind it, aside from not explaining Astra's sudden disappearance. I mean even the scenes with the DEO never even mention her (I know she's coming back in Ep 8). The formula of FOTW also goes to show others can be a threat to Supergirl and not just someone using Kryptonite. The FOTW/personal issue/love triangle is actually quite similar to The Flash episodes.
-- Superpower physics and "realism" often take a back seat to production budget realism. Aside from that, it's kinda pointless IMO to nitpick the realism of a show that's based on a girl from another planet who can fly.
-- Episodes 5 and 6, IMO show a significant improvement from the previous ones, both in terms of VFX, acting, and especially directing. It's been said, but the way that final fight scene w/ the heat vision was shot with the slow-mo and her rage and emotions spilling forth was the best scene of the series thus far. Similarly, the fight scene in Livewire was better than its predecessors. To me that is a good sign, and I look forward to the Aunt Astra rematch.
-- Cat is going from one of my least fave characters to one of my faves. Though I think her "moments" with Kara (as well as Cat's personal life) sometimes seem a little forced, I think she lends some great comedic relief. I thought it was funny that she only has pronounced Kara's name right once --- when she was shit-faced off the martinis.
-- General Lane was disappointing, as people have also mentioned. I love Glenn Moreshower, but his lines were dreadful. He seems like he was written straight from the comic pages and rather the stereotypical, hardass General. As someone pointed out, high ranking officers like that (have never met a general but have worked with a few colonels) tend to be calm and cool, not complete hot heads. They are promoted for a reason.
-- Shadar disspelled the fallacy of bosses not losing their tempers with his anecdote, and I agree. I've worked for a Big 6 consultancy and two dotcom startups. If someone threw a chair out a window, it wouldn't make my Top 20 work blowups. :)
-- Alex is turning out to be quite the cute lil badass herself

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Sarge395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 16:06 #45485 by shadar
All excellent comments today on Kryptonian powers. I think we are all in agreement that freezy breath is the one power that is outside even the realm of comicbook science.

Agree re: Kryptonian powers not being naturally evolved. There has to be some serious genetic engineering going on. The red sun thing is a control mechanism (can't have a billion superbeings flying around on one planet). Which presumes there was some greater plan for Kryptonians that didn't get realized.

Which is why when I conceived the AU I started with the genetic engineering (and who did it and why) and then tossed in a different control mechanism. The hope was to start with something that would at least pass for pseudo-science and not magic. The hope was to fit it within the potential bounds of potential discoveries in alien genetics that could be overlaid on a human chassis, and future discoveries in multi-dimensional physics.

Some writers of Kryptonian stories have tried to keep things similarly grounded with pseudo-science, and others, like the TV show, unfortunately have gone down the full magical violation of physics path.
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
03 Dec 2015 22:05 - 03 Dec 2015 22:06 #45492 by YAGS
One other thing that bugged me about this episode when I saw it, but forgot to mention earlier. Supergirl was wearing earrings. I'm not 100% sure it's the first time she's done that on the show, but it's the first time I noticed it.

Something tells me the DEO wouldn't approve of using kryptonite for piercings. In fact, I think that's a wasted opportunity for next week's episode, when she doesn't have her powers. Getting her ears pierced is something they could have had fun with her doing as something normal in her life that she couldn't do before.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 22:06 by YAGS.

More
04 Dec 2015 00:21 #45497 by jimbob
She might have already had them from before she had powers on Krypton. If they have earrings there.

More
04 Dec 2015 00:52 #45498 by castor
Was thinking to compare this to the New Batman V Superman Trailer.

That trailer is obviously-big explosions citys crumbling, Superman Tossing Batman around a giant CGI monster man at the end....

the kind stuff that this show can't do.

Well it can try

The first couple of episodes-particuarly the second at times felt like they where trying to duplicate that--and it didn't work great, a lot of bad cgi, effects that were done to make her seem to weight more and things like that. Or in the second episode super super speed

But that said-its getting much better at showing stuff here and i think they are working on that-like the interconcected climax which was a good way of cutting from the super slugfest to the alex stuff which still being exciting, and making the super slugfest a mix of tornado effects which where okay and a bit of punching and tossing with a good bit in the middle when he grabs her.

Except the costume is really bad-not horrible, and i like the mix of movement between a robot and a human which works with the TO mmorow stuff, but yeah..not its best effort, and unlike say Arrow they don't have the advantage of working at night

Yeah this is working better and better as an action show.

More
04 Dec 2015 05:03 #45500 by ace191
Let's remember a few things here. When Superman started out, he was faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and bend steel in his bare hands. A .45 travels 900 fps and a .357 mag is 1600 fps. 88 fps is 60 mph so that would put Superman's speed around 600 mph to around Mach 1.5 consistent with Kara.
The Max Power for something like a Big Boy would be 5000 horsepower. An EMD F7 or E8 would be around 1500 to 1800 HP. Let's give him 3000 Horsepower. I would say a tall building would be 300 feet. I would assume that 3000 HP would be enough to bend a crow bar.

More
04 Dec 2015 05:25 #45501 by ace191
I give up. 5 out of the last 6 times I have tried to post something I have been timed out.

More
04 Dec 2015 16:25 #45506 by elnovo1234
Replied by elnovo1234 on topic Season 1 x 06 Spoilers and Discussions Red Faced
I liked this episode, and i´m agree with five_red with the personal issue of the week... its a minor tiny thing that still annoys me why they dont show kara changing into supergirl i mean for me its a sing of empowerement its like leaving behind this human costume and embracing who she really is, in the wonder woman we had a lot of those great spin TFs...
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

More
04 Dec 2015 16:55 #45507 by Sarge395
Type it offline and copy/paste it. Works for me to get around time out issues.

• Sarge395
More
04 Dec 2015 18:05 #45509 by fats
I've tweaked the site so the time-out issue should be resolved.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Dec 2015 02:57 #45533 by ace191
Yea! And go Iowa!

More
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds