Amount

Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro

11 Jan 2016 23:46 - 30 Jan 2016 20:20 #46017 by five_red
comicbook.com/2016/01/11/supergirl-bizarro-synopsis-released

“Bizarro” – Kara faces off against her mirror image when Bizarro (Hope Lauren), a twisted version of Supergirl, sets out to destroy her. Also, Kara grows closer with Cat’s son, Adam (Blake Jenner), on SUPERGIRL, Monday, Feb. 1 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

(Updated the SWM timeline too with full cast and writers, etc.)

Other details, not related to this episode: According to Natalie Abrams, episode 13 sees Kara wake up on Krypton with no idea why she's there (based on The Man Who Has Everything ). Also, Laura Vandervoort will star as Indigo (in episode 13?). Meanwhile Joseph McCabe reports that episode 14 will feature Jeff Branson as the Master Jailer, directed by Lexi Alexander -- "Chains".

EDIT #1: Photo gallery -- www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl-episode-12-bizarro-photos/

Kara had the uneasy feeling that she'd forgotten something when changing back into her street clothes.

EDIT #2:

R5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 30 Jan 2016 20:20 by five_red.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 Jan 2016 00:09 #46018 by castor

five_red wrote: [u Indigo (in episode 13?). Meanwhile Joseph McCabe reports that episode 14 will feature the Master Jailer, directed by Lexi Alexander -- "Chains".

R5

Curious about that one- I don't love Punisher War zone as much as a lot of people But Do think that Alexader is one of the better directors of action out there working these days and while there is only so much you can do intrested to see what she does with the show.

More
17 Jan 2016 23:40 #46074 by andyf
I wouldn't be surprised if Hope Lauren had read for the series lead role before Benoist was chosen. That the shows producers remembered her and wanted her for the role dark Supergirl.

More
18 Jan 2016 04:13 #46079 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro

castor wrote:

five_red wrote: [u Indigo (in episode 13?). Meanwhile Joseph McCabe reports that episode 14 will feature the Master Jailer, directed by Lexi Alexander -- "Chains".

R5

Curious about that one- I don't love Punisher War zone as much as a lot of people But Do think that Alexader is one of the better directors of action out there working these days and while there is only so much you can do intrested to see what she does with the show.

Both Alexandar and the SG team seem to be pretty happy about it. They say the episode is "Badass" and Alexander seemed to have a great time too.

www.themarysue.com/supergirl-castcrew-le...er-female-directors/

I'm really interested to see this episode, and to see what inventive things that Alexander's dreamed up.

More
02 Feb 2016 19:29 #46296 by fats
so can I take it from the silence that either no one saw the episode or that no one wants to talk about the show.

Fats

More
02 Feb 2016 20:27 - 02 Feb 2016 20:28 #46297 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro
I kinda liked this one.
The action scenes were great.
This is a new to me kind of Bizzaro.
Not really an opposite.
It was great that once again Supergirl tries to reason with Bizzaro and avoid conflict.
She also defends her as a victim to Hank and Alex.
Looks like physical violence is down the line as a way to solve a crisis.
Which is cool to me.

Alex's "Black Bag" operation to take out Lord.
Double thumbs up!
Right in character.

I am very happy with the way Supergirl is front and center in costume for a good length of time in the show.
I was so worried that we would only see maybe 5 minutes every episode.

For me they got the inevitable "Dark Supergirl" episode out of the way.
I don't need to see Cara go evil even for a little bit.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 20:28 by Markiehoe. Reason: misspelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, kshoo, fats

More
02 Feb 2016 22:01 - 02 Feb 2016 22:01 #46298 by hdmk2
I quite liked it. It's an obvious story, but it was well done. There were a few plot holes as always, but in a TV-show with so many episodes I'm always prepared to cut some slack.
I couldn't work out if Benoist played "Bizarro" at the end or not, obviously she did before "Bizarro" got hit with the anti-Kryptonite.

The script (particularly dialogue) is sometimes a bit ropey in Supergirl, but I can't fault the acting. Max Lorde as a character has a lot of room for development - definitely Supergirl's Lex Luthor. He's pretty much a carbon copy. Reminds me of Elon Musk!

Interesting plot twist with James Olsen declaring his love for Kara... it seems she's impossible to resist.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 22:01 by hdmk2. Reason: typo

More
03 Feb 2016 00:10 - 03 Feb 2016 00:18 #46299 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro
This wasn't such a great episode for me.

The Frankenstein premise is so clichéd, that even its clichés have clichés..! Unfortunately, rather than attempt an unusual twist on the recognised monster-with-a-heart-being-manipulated-by-an-evil-genius formula, the writers just turned in a by-the-numbers retread of countless similar plotlines from movies and tv shows down the decades. Little fresh or original was attempted.

The errors and fridge logic have become so blatant in recent episodes that one doesn't even have to wait to go fetch a beer to spot them. For example, Max supposedly gets Supergirl's DNA from the Red Tornado arm Alex gave him. Seems plausible... except for one slight problem: in Red Faced Alex never actually gives Max the arm -- she takes it with her when she leaves his office. Do the writers never watch their own show?

Add to that the moments that are so wacky and bizarre (or should that be bizarro?) that they pull you right out of the action...
Cat: Kara, why did a strange mutated version of Supergirl snatch you up and whisk you away, as if it was specifically targeting you..?
Kara: It was just dumb luck. [Yes, this is Kara's actual explanation!!]
Cat: Oh... okay... fine..! Well that's my curiosity entirely satisfied. No further questions!

And, of course, we end on a "love conquers all" motif -- which in itself is not a bad theme to explore, but it was handled so heavy-handedly and without originality that it bordered on melodrama. I half expected King Kong's Carl Denham to show up and deliver the line, "Oh no, it wasn't the [Kryptonite]. It was beauty killed the beast."

Yes, the acting has been pretty solid (with the unfortunate exception of Peter Facinelli, who seems to have transformed the interesting and mercurial Max Lord of earlier episodes into an increasingly annoying, wise-cracking, smug idiot.) And the special effects have been getting better and better. But everyone's hard work in this episode is let down by some really derivative and lazy writing.

Childish Things was a fairly solid episode, and Strange Visitor was fair good too, but even these episodes suffered from some serious problems. The writers don't seem to care if elements of the plot are irrational or incoherent, and they don't even seem to do basic fact checking with earlier episodes (as Red Tornado's arm reveals.) This is fantasy storytelling, so we must suspend disbelief to some extent; but there's a point when suspension of disbelief spills over into insulting the intelligence of the audience. I sometimes feel that I'm being asked to keep such an open mind, that there's a danger my brain might fall out (to paraphrase the old joke!)

True, the writers have got a lot better at integrating Kara's CatCo storylines with Supergirl's DEO action in recent episodes, without them jarring, but there's still a lot of work to do. They need to either use a script editor, or promote sideways the one they've got and hire someone new.

To be fair, I have to end by saying that the overwhelming majority of the audience probably haven't seen as much genre movies and tv as myself, and therefore probably won't recognise just how unoriginal "Bizarro" actually was.

R5
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 00:18 by five_red.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2016 02:22 #46301 by YAGS
Pretty much agree with what five_red said. Too many plot holes to count, which is par for the course on this series.

Cat's lack of journalistic curiosity when her own assistant gets kidnapped by a supervillain (while on a date with her son, no less) was just so blatantly out of character that I thought it was jarring.

And the big debate over arresting Max Lord was whether or not the publicity of making a famous billionaire disappear would hurt the DEO. Nothing about the moral implications of "arresting" someone without due process of the law? Nothing about trying to find definitive evidence to arrest him for creating Bizarro Supergirl (and most likely killing the 6 other girls he experimented on before getting it right with her), so the government could arrest him without it being a secret?

I keep saying it: I really want to like this show, but it just keeps insulting my intelligence.

More
03 Feb 2016 11:06 #46302 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro
Gotta agree with Red and Yags.

I found this episode a LOT different to what i was expecting and not in a good way. The cliche Frankenstein plot, the out-of-character actions, all made it feel pointless to me. It was the first episode where I actually didn't really connect emotionally with the story, because I've seen it done so many times before.

Yup, the performance were solid, as were the effects (loved the dragon-breath/freeze-breath battle :)) but overall I was left watching from a distance, rather then being pulled into the narrative.

Personally, like others maybe, this was one of my least favorite/weakest episodes. But for me there haven't been many duds, so I will give this a pass. Next weeks looks like it will be more interesting.

Peace.

/K

More
03 Feb 2016 15:17 #46303 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro
I liked the special effects in this episode. I think they pulled off their version of Bizarro rather well.

However, I'm getting a little tired of the love triangle, or is it a square now? Perhaps a trapezoid? I have no idea....All I know is that the show really drags when they swerve into "romance" territory.

It was also pretty silly of the writers to have Alex go to Lord's HQ and arrest Maxwell. I mean, are we supposed to believe that he had no security and absolutely no one would notice this corporate titan going missing? I know it is a work of fiction but at least try to be somewhat realistic.

More
03 Feb 2016 17:15 #46305 by shadar

hdmk2 wrote: I quite liked it. It's an obvious story, but it was well done. There were a few plot holes as always, but in a TV-show with so many episodes I'm always prepared to cut some slack.
I couldn't work out if Benoist played "Bizarro" at the end or not, obviously she did before "Bizarro" got hit with the anti-Kryptonite.

The script (particularly dialogue) is sometimes a bit ropey in Supergirl, but I can't fault the acting. Max Lorde as a character has a lot of room for development - definitely Supergirl's Lex Luthor. He's pretty much a carbon copy. Reminds me of Elon Musk!

Interesting plot twist with James Olsen declaring his love for Kara... it seems she's impossible to resist.

Love your avatar pict. That was one of the first photoenhances (of Daniella Pestova) that I commissioned. A LONG time ago. Glad to see it still has some appeal. Carry on.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
03 Feb 2016 17:27 #46307 by shadar

five_red wrote: This wasn't such a great episode for me.

The Frankenstein premise is so clichéd, that even its clichés have clichés..! Unfortunately, rather than attempt an unusual twist on the recognised monster-with-a-heart-being-manipulated-by-an-evil-genius formula, the writers just turned in a by-the-numbers retread of countless similar plotlines from movies and tv shows down the decades. Little fresh or original was attempted.

The errors and fridge logic have become so blatant in recent episodes that one doesn't even have to wait to go fetch a beer to spot them. For example, Max supposedly gets Supergirl's DNA from the Red Tornado arm Alex gave him. Seems plausible... except for one slight problem: in Red Faced Alex never actually gives Max the arm -- she takes it with her when she leaves his office. Do the writers never watch their own show?

Add to that the moments that are so wacky and bizarre (or should that be bizarro?) that they pull you right out of the action...
Cat: Kara, why did a strange mutated version of Supergirl snatch you up and whisk you away, as if it was specifically targeting you..?
Kara: It was just dumb luck. [Yes, this is Kara's actual explanation!!]
Cat: Oh... okay... fine..! Well that's my curiosity entirely satisfied. No further questions!

And, of course, we end on a "love conquers all" motif -- which in itself is not a bad theme to explore, but it was handled so heavy-handedly and without originality that it bordered on melodrama. I half expected King Kong's Carl Denham to show up and deliver the line, "Oh no, it wasn't the [Kryptonite]. It was beauty killed the beast."

Yes, the acting has been pretty solid (with the unfortunate exception of Peter Facinelli, who seems to have transformed the interesting and mercurial Max Lord of earlier episodes into an increasingly annoying, wise-cracking, smug idiot.) And the special effects have been getting better and better. But everyone's hard work in this episode is let down by some really derivative and lazy writing.

Childish Things was a fairly solid episode, and Strange Visitor was fair good too, but even these episodes suffered from some serious problems. The writers don't seem to care if elements of the plot are irrational or incoherent, and they don't even seem to do basic fact checking with earlier episodes (as Red Tornado's arm reveals.) This is fantasy storytelling, so we must suspend disbelief to some extent; but there's a point when suspension of disbelief spills over into insulting the intelligence of the audience. I sometimes feel that I'm being asked to keep such an open mind, that there's a danger my brain might fall out (to paraphrase the old joke!)

True, the writers have got a lot better at integrating Kara's CatCo storylines with Supergirl's DEO action in recent episodes, without them jarring, but there's still a lot of work to do. They need to either use a script editor, or promote sideways the one they've got and hire someone new.

To be fair, I have to end by saying that the overwhelming majority of the audience probably haven't seen as much genre movies and tv as myself, and therefore probably won't recognise just how unoriginal "Bizarro" actually was.

R5

I'm with you, Red, on the Bizarro episode. It actually made me angry. They had such a great opportunity to put together a great plot, but when it was over, I couldn't believe how lame it was. Back half of the season is disappointing so far. Lazy writing.

As others have said, her romantic polygon is going from silly to stupid. The only place I saw a hint of chemistry from Melissa was with Cat's son Adam (for obvious reasons, given he's Melissa's husband). They should have run with that as opposed to kicking him to the curb as she muddles around with Winn and James. That would have produced some modestly interesting cinema watching a real-life couple developing a romance on screen.

• shadar
More
04 Feb 2016 01:01 #46315 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro
Yeah, I can only concur with the problems that has been mentioned.

I can also add that I also wasn't really a fan of the look of Bizarro. Too me she seemed more like a broken doll than a poisoned Supergirl, which was the look I think they were after.

The sway of Bizarro's feelings towards Supergirl during the last 5 minutes also felt strange. I don't feel enough had happened since she tried to strangle her.

I'm still somewhat curious how Lord will get out from his cell.

More
04 Feb 2016 03:54 #46317 by YAGS

pansardum wrote: I'm still somewhat curious how Lord will get out from his cell.

Lots of easy directions they can go with that. I don't expect great creativity from this writing staff. Here's some options, just off the top of my head:

1. The DEO needs his help with some tech, and he can't do it from inside the cell. Since he'll be seen out in public (after his disappearance is a big news story for weeks), Hank cuts a deal to release him permanently if he keeps his mouth shut and pretends that the government rescued him from that week's threat. In the end, he tries to betray them by telling the press the truth, but Hank mindwipes him to prevent that.

2. Remember that comment about Alex's mother at the end of this episode? He set something up in advance as an emergency plan. He has employees set to kidnap her if he ever disappears, so he can bargain with Alex and Kara to get himself released in exchange for her.

More
04 Feb 2016 04:18 #46318 by ace191
2. Remember that comment about Alex's mother at the end of this episode? He set something up in advance as an emergency plan. He has employees set to kidnap her if he ever disappears, so he can bargain with Alex and Kara to get himself released in exchange for her.

My thoughts exactly. He is way too smart not to have thought about this scenario and come up with a plan on how to handle it.

More
04 Feb 2016 12:45 #46323 by Markiehoe
Thoughts on the "love trapizoid" (Props to JD for coining that phrase) Cara seems to be in between James, Winn and now Adam.

I have met women that guys seem to instantly fall in love with.
Something about their beauty, intelligence, deportment and inner qualities make it easy to fall for them.
Perhaps Supergirl/ Cara/ Melissa is one of these women.
Easy to fall in love with.

I know I kinda took a tumble for Melissa when i first saw her.

More
04 Feb 2016 13:37 #46324 by fats

Markiehoe wrote: Thoughts on the "love trapizoid" (Props to JD for coining that phrase) Cara seems to be in between James, Winn and now Adam.

I have met women that guys seem to instantly fall in love with.
Something about their beauty, intelligence, deportment and inner qualities make it easy to fall for them.
Perhaps Supergirl/ Cara/ Melissa is one of these women.
Easy to fall in love with.

I know I kinda took a tumble for Melissa when i first saw her.

being in a jet with MB is even harder, one of the nicest celebs I've ever met.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
04 Feb 2016 14:20 #46325 by Markiehoe
Lucky Dog!!!!

More
04 Feb 2016 16:40 #46327 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro

fats wrote:

Fats

Wait a minute! Are you saying that you got to fly MB around and spend some time with her?

This image is hidden for guests.

More
04 Feb 2016 16:42 #46328 by pansardum
Replied by pansardum on topic Season 1 x 12 Spoilers and Discussions Bizarro

YAGS wrote:

pansardum wrote: I'm still somewhat curious how Lord will get out from his cell.

Lots of easy directions they can go with that. I don't expect great creativity from this writing staff. Here's some options, just off the top of my head:

1. The DEO needs his help with some tech, and he can't do it from inside the cell. Since he'll be seen out in public (after his disappearance is a big news story for weeks), Hank cuts a deal to release him permanently if he keeps his mouth shut and pretends that the government rescued him from that week's threat. In the end, he tries to betray them by telling the press the truth, but Hank mindwipes him to prevent that.

The comment about Alex's mom didn't pass me by. I'm just hoping they don't make it that cliché and has something interesting planned.
It feels to me that Lord knows a bit too much to just be released and a mind wipe doesn't seem like a solution with how much trouble hank had with the last one.
Also should they have the villain kidnap someone in three episodes in a row...Though Lord's story might not be the main problem during next episode when considering how this episode ended.

More
04 Feb 2016 17:49 #46329 by fats

jdrock24 wrote:

fats wrote:

Fats

Wait a minute! Are you saying that you got to fly MB around and spend some time with her?

This image is hidden for guests.

5 flights in 6 years, starting when she was in Glee.

Fats

More
04 Feb 2016 20:31 #46335 by shadar
I had the (expensive) privilege of chartering a jet several times through Elite Jets (for my father when he was elderly and frail), and I was impressed with how involved the flight crew was with the passengers. It's truly an elite world. My father was thrilled.

Also flew as a guest on a few flights and also on corporate-owned jets (not as much fun)... enough to have a taste of Fats world.

My conclusion is there are reduced social barriers between passengers and crew. Unlike most encounters celebrities have with the public, the private jet experience is exclusive and private enough, almost intimate, which lets people be themselves. Celebrities tend to treat the crew with a deference that they might not display with others.

Of course, I am sure there are assholes. But there is an element of civility that is more the norm with celebrities in exclusive settings that the public rarely sees. Experienced that during many stays at Four Seasons resorts over the years (mostly business-related when I was an executive based in Singapore). It's kind of like a club, and if you're a there, you get treated as if you belong.

Anyway, that's a past life. I'm just an ordinary retired bloke now watching his pennies like everyone else. But my conclusion from those experiences was that the private jet is a rarified and exclusive world with its own rules.

Shadar

• shadar
More
04 Feb 2016 21:15 #46338 by fats

shadar wrote: I had the (expensive) privilege of chartering a jet several times through Elite Jets (for my father when he was elderly and frail), and I was impressed with how involved the flight crew was with the passengers. It's truly an elite world. My father was thrilled.

Also flew as a guest on a few flights and also on corporate-owned jets (not as much fun)... enough to have a taste of Fats world.

My conclusion is there are reduced social barriers between passengers and crew. Unlike most encounters celebrities have with the public, the private jet experience is exclusive and private enough, almost intimate, which lets people be themselves. Celebrities tend to treat the crew with a deference that they might not display with others.

Of course, I am sure there are assholes. But there is an element of civility that is more the norm with celebrities in exclusive settings that the public rarely sees. Experienced that during many stays at Four Seasons resorts over the years (mostly business-related when I was an executive based in Singapore). It's kind of like a club, and if you're a there, you get treated as if you belong.

Anyway, that's a past life. I'm just an ordinary retired bloke now watching his pennies like everyone else. But my conclusion from those experiences was that the private jet is a rarified and exclusive world with its own rules.

Shadar

Over the years, I've flown lottery winners, celebs, politicians, royalty and business people, on the whole, I rate them as follows.

Nicest are celebs, second only to politicians, they need to be loved to feel worthwhile, business people are next, you don't need to be nice to be successful but it helps, lottery winners are the second nastiest, all that money goes to their head and the nastiest people to fly are royalty, there is not a good thing I can say about them.

Fats

More
05 Feb 2016 15:46 - 05 Feb 2016 15:50 #46344 by Monty
That will explain the loss of an engine and the continued flight - Melissa was back flying in the interior mid-section holding the plane up! ☺
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 15:50 by Monty.

More
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds