Amount

Season 1 x 13 Spoilers and Discussions For The Girl Who Has Everything

20 Jan 2016 12:35 - 29 Jan 2016 12:16 #46123 by five_red
Full title: For The Girl Who Has Everything

www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl-spoilers-d...-who-has-everything/

Kara's friends must find a way to save her life when a parasitic alien attaches itself to her and traps her in a dream world where her family is alive and her home planet was never destroyed. Also, Alex, Hank and the DEO must fend off a Kryptonian attack while Kara is out of commission.

The original Superman story, "For The Man Who Has Everything", was penned by Alan Moore for Superman Annual #11 (1985).

Edit#1: Spoiler TV has some images: www.spoilertv.com/2016/01/supergirl-epis...girl-who-has_29.html
Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 12:16 by five_red.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2016 13:06 #46124 by Woodclaw

five_red wrote: Full title: For The Girl Who Has Everything

www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl-spoilers-d...-who-has-everything/

Kara's friends must find a way to save her life when a parasitic alien attaches itself to her and traps her in a dream world where her family is alive and her home planet was never destroyed. Also, Alex, Hank and the DEO must fend off a Kryptonian attack while Kara is out of commission.

The original Superman story, "For The Man Who Has Everything", was penned by Alan Moore for Superman Annual #11 (1985).

Okay, this could be a really good story, or a major down the drain event. "For the man who has everything" is my favorite Alan Moore story (yes, I like it better than "V for Vendetta" and so on) and one of the best exploration of Superman's psychology. I really hope they didn't just re-do the comic book changing Kara for Kal, because that would effectively flatten her characterization into being what some people accuse her of being "Superman with boobs".

More
20 Jan 2016 15:41 #46128 by lojack
I don't feel it will do the story any good.

It feels like they are trying to cram all they can in season one, yet have a season two order to fill still.

More
20 Jan 2016 15:45 #46129 by castor

lojack wrote: I don't feel it will do the story any good.

It feels like they are trying to cram all they can in season one, yet have a season two order to fill still.

This is often the kinda story you see towards the end of the first season-i remember Voyager did the same thing for example.

That said: Hope they do it well. The week to Week budget of the show is variable. Curious how they do Krypton.

More
09 Feb 2016 14:24 - 09 Feb 2016 14:26 #46392 by jdrock24
This was one of the best episodes of the series so far. A huge step up from last week. Right up there with Human for a Day in my book.

I'll start with the negatives:

- Still not a fan of the DEO arresting and holding Maxwell Lord and no one in the outside world even noticing. I'm sure it will be addressed in a later episode but still...
- Not sure what difference it really makes as to who actually killed Astra and whether or not Kara knows it. I guess we will see...

Positives:

- Melissa's acting as MM posing as Kara and trying to deal with Cat. That was hilarious.
- Alex's dramatic scene on Krypton when she is trying to get Kara to come back to reality. Good stuff there.
- SG's fight with Non (who has now been set up as the main villain). I thought it was really well done.
- James stopping Hank from bringing Alex out of the virtual reality device, like he was told. Nice of the writers to give him something to do other than being involved as Kara's love interest.
- The love trapezoid was really toned down this episode, which I appreciate.
- Lots of super abilities from Astra in this episode. Her fight with MM was especially good.

This being episode 13, I guess it would have been the final episode if it didn't get the "back end" order. It kind of felt like a season finale but I'm glad it is not. I wonder what that program "Myriad" is that the kryptonians set up?
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 14:26 by jdrock24. Reason: Add some stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
09 Feb 2016 15:44 #46393 by lfan
I agree with JD in that it was a solid episode....light years better than the Bizarro episode, IMO. I thought I wouldn't enjoy the episode that much with her in a dream state, but I thought it was done pretty well. Solid acting by MB once again in a variety of roles/emotions. She was really intense I thought when she emerged from the coma ("Who did this to me?")!

While I still wonder what the Kryptonians are waiting for, this episode did give a little insight why they were previously "slow playing" their takeover, as Astra possibly was having second thoughts. In that sense, they made a little more sense out of "what the hell are they waiting for". It will be interesting to see if that plotline speeds up -- as well as becomes a little more 'offensive' -- with Non now at the helm.

I think the hiding of "who wielded the K knife" was well done. It sets up a possible conflict between Kara and Alex ( as well as Supergirl vs DEO ) when the truth eventually comes out.

One thing I loved was MM as Kara in the office, but I equally would have loved to see MM covering for Supergirl. It would have been interesting if his superhero approach was just as no-nonsense as his secretarial skills.

One thing I thought was a little weird was when the Black Mercy got off her, I fully expected her to blast it with heat vision -- infact, the scene and camera angles lined it up on the tee for that. But she didn't. And not only that, no one really reacted as it tried to scurry away out the door. Max Lord made some comment about it dying, but I don't think they really showed that. Just struck me as them being kinda cavalier about a Black Mercy now free to roam about the DEO..... :P

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

More
09 Feb 2016 16:06 - 09 Feb 2016 16:11 #46394 by kikass2014
Totally agree with what JD and Lfan said. This episode was a MILLION times better then last weeks, and defiantly one of my personal favorites.

There was tension to the drama, what with Kara slipping further into the dream world as time went on, and the stakes were higher. I also liked that all the characters had something relevant to do. All interacted with each other in a natural way, and all got some development to their arc.

The story was really well told, and there was some really nice acting, in particular Melissa and Chyler. I thought Alex scenes were great.

I do take JD's point about the need to hide who killed Astra, but I think it was perfectly summed up by Hank when he tells Alex that she is Supergirl's hero. And while it may lead to further complications, I hope not as for me, what Hank said makes perfect sense and works just fine.

In terms of it feeling like a season finale, I too felt that also. Would be interesting to know if parts were re-shot or rewritten due to the season extension, and if that confrontation with Non was suppose to the end. Glad to know we have more to look forward to though :)

I could probably write a lot more on this episode, but that is all I got for now. Will defiantly be re-watching it :)

Peace.

/K

P.S. I think next week is the much talked about Lexi Alexander episode. Look forward to seeing whats in store there :)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 16:11 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

More
09 Feb 2016 16:08 #46395 by castor
I wish i liked this episode more.

Its a fine episode, arguabbly good.

But A couple of weeks ago i was rewatching "Inner Light episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, which i am going to spoil and say is the best episode of the series, and maybe top 10 of episodic Television ever in America. Thats the story of Picard living in a fantasy world where he gets to experience a life on a Dying World-its thoughtful, funny at points, and by the end tragic and heartbreaking-it tells the complete story of the life of a man who gains and looses everything.

This is not that episode of Supergirl, though its trying for a superficially similar plot. And thats okay-agian top 10. But its not even trying, is what gets me. its not even trying.

How Little is spent on it-without really spending any time there. We have little idea of what a good Kryptonian world is for Kara and what she really wants-friends like her, love like her, a job which doesn't involve alternativly saving the world and getting cofee. There is no originality-or barring that attempting to do play with it at all.

how quickly does it give up the ghost-how offten does it switch back ot the rest of the penut gallery for an ocasionally cute B plot but not really. Everyone other then Benoist was Fine. So was everyone in TNG. in the innerlight there is maybe three scenes of 20 seconds total with them-and that worked very well. For a show Called Supergirl, i wish they would just let it be about her sometimes.

I realize this episode was intended to be the last Episode of the series if it didn't get picked up for a second run, and i can apreciate there desire on the show to move quickly through plots...So we had to finish Astra kinda undramatically...but..

(to the argument hey Doesn't Maxwell Lord have some kind of civil rights-I do find it kinda troubling how Berlanti in all three of his shows seems to not want to bother with it-it doesn't read pro torture or anti...just he doesn't want to bother with it, when telling his stories-the don't think to much about it in Sci Fi can gives you the creaps)

Benoist can be Great in this show. I like some of the performances of the other characters. The Action is getting better....but watching this epsiode makes me wish they where in a great show as opposed to a pretty good one.

More
11 Feb 2016 02:16 #46402 by YAGS
Finally got to watch this one on the DVR. Probably the best episode of the series so far, but still not quite great.

I agree that it looked like they were lining up Supergirl to heat vision the Black Mercy when she got out of it. It just seemed kinda anti-climactic that nobody did anything with it, while it just sort slithered off and died.

And I agree that they could have done a LOT more with the scenes on Krypton. Especially the parts after Alex got in there just seemed rushed, going from the initial confrontation between Alex and Kara to the courtroom scene where they escape, with no buildup or discussion. Although the bluff that the Black Mercy wasn't going to let her out did work for a second there.

I'm ok with the lie about who killed Astra. But her death seemed kinda predictable. It's like they had a morally ambiguous villain who could possibly be redeemed, but they didn't know how to make an interesting storyline out of that, so they just killed her off. Too neat and tidy, from a story perspective, rather than doing the hard work of telling a more interesting story.

More
11 Feb 2016 05:44 - 11 Feb 2016 05:46 #46404 by shadar

YAGS wrote: Finally got to watch this one on the DVR. Probably the best episode of the series so far, but still not quite great.

I agree that it looked like they were lining up Supergirl to heat vision the Black Mercy when she got out of it. It just seemed kinda anti-climactic that nobody did anything with it, while it just sort slithered off and died.

And I agree that they could have done a LOT more with the scenes on Krypton. Especially the parts after Alex got in there just seemed rushed, going from the initial confrontation between Alex and Kara to the courtroom scene where they escape, with no buildup or discussion. Although the bluff that the Black Mercy wasn't going to let her out did work for a second there.

I'm ok with the lie about who killed Astra. But her death seemed kinda predictable. It's like they had a morally ambiguous villain who could possibly be redeemed, but they didn't know how to make an interesting storyline out of that, so they just killed her off. Too neat and tidy, from a story perspective, rather than doing the hard work of telling a more interesting story.

Given that everything on Krypton was a dream/fantasy, then time and causality would be confused like it is in our dreams. Going from Alex's arrival to the final judgement for her crime in a few seconds was the way dreams work. The details are unimportant, only the moments of great drama/trauma, etc. So I didn't think it was a shortcoming but rather a nice job of capturing the discontinuities of dreams.

As others have said, this was a good episode. I was getting worried last week. Excellent acting and a nice plot and great handling of tension. Episode seemed quite long given it didn't drag badly anywhere, and it covered so much ground. And it ended with a cute scene with best friends hanging out. Nice.

Oh... also an awesome workout for Melissa the actress. From the MM/Cat scenes, to Krypton scenes to the battle and finale... she definitely earned her salary on this one.

So... a contender for the best episode so far, in my book anyway. Hopefully this signals how the rest of the season will go. Up, up and away.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 05:46 by shadar.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
11 Feb 2016 11:35 #46407 by Markiehoe
I missed the fact that this episode could have been the season finale.
I'm glad others here pointed that out.
The whole episode makes a lot more sense now.

There was enough good stuff here to fill two episodes.
Should have been a two parter with Alex being arrested on Krypton as the break.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
11 Feb 2016 16:15 #46411 by jdrock24

Markiehoe wrote: I missed the fact that this episode could have been the season finale.

Good idea. You are right. This should have have been split into two episodes. I remember looking at the clock after the "wake-up" scene and noticing there was still about twenty minutes left to go and wondering where they were going to go with it. They could have easily expanded just a bit on Krypton to fill up the first episode and then spent the second episode exploring the Krypton plot of Myriad. I wonder why they didn't do that when they found out they got the back order?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
12 Feb 2016 15:15 #46420 by lfan
A agree in that would have been a great idea. I find one of the show's shortcomings is that they rush through each episode so fast they either leave gaping plot holes or leave the audience (or at least me) saying "well, that wrapped up quick". The past two episodes could have easily stretched to two episodes apiece. Probably Toyman episode as well.

Perhaps it's the writers and producers looking over their shoulders for renewal/cancellation news that they are just trying to put up so many plotlines and villains to see what works. I have to feel that if (when) it gets picked up, we'll start seeing more intricate and well-thought out plotlines, as they'll have probably a few episodes at the end of this season (if news comes out soon) along with at least 13/23 episodes next season to delve into plots with more depth.

ElF

jdrock24 wrote:

Markiehoe wrote: I missed the fact that this episode could have been the season finale.

Good idea. You are right. This should have have been split into two episodes. I remember looking at the clock after the "wake-up" scene and noticing there was still about twenty minutes left to go and wondering where they were going to go with it. They could have easily expanded just a bit on Krypton to fill up the first episode and then spent the second episode exploring the Krypton plot of Myriad. I wonder why they didn't do that when they found out they got the back order?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds