Amount

Season 1 x 15 Spoilers and Discussions Solitude

03 Mar 2016 21:36 #46656 by shadar

jdrock24 wrote: Finally got a chance to watch this episode yesterday.

The "confession" scene at the end was well acted even though I felt that whole plot was kind of silly. Oh well, at least it is resolved...

Laura Vanderoot was good as the villain and I'm still genuinely curious what Myriad is and what it does.

I also liked her stopping the missile. That was pretty good action. Plus the fact that she could lift the key to the FOS was a pretty good hint of her actual strength. That's the thing about this show though, sometimes they show her as this unstoppable, super powerful girl that can do practically anything and then others she is this weak newbie who can't do anything. Take the power of super strength. So she can lift an ungodly amount of "condensed dwarf star" weight but has trouble holding up a concrete pillar in the "Reactron" episode when it was about to fall on Wynn?

I don't know, I know it is all suspension of disbelief and all that and I should learn to just enjoy the show and go with it. However, the glaring inconsistencies in the writing kind of get on my nerves (like someone mentioned the FOS being brought up in an earlier episode.).

I think the writers fall into the "Oh, it's a superhero show, so we can do anything." mindset. To some degree they are right, but they have to also maintain consistency and reason in their choices. And they can stretch science in many directions, but they can't abandon reason.

The stated MILLION TON key to the fortress would sink into the middle of the Earth if it was that small. If their fans don't hold their feet to the fire, its easy for writers to get lazy. Instead, make it weigh a couple of hundred tons and have her struggle mightily with it, and you get the same effect. Helicopters or any likely equipment you can haul to that location isn't going to be able to lift that.

This is where Marvel does it far better.

I always thought the TV show SHIELD tried to keep it real. Same for Jessica Jones. But Supergirl is falling back into the type of writing we saw in the 60's and 70's when Superman pushed planets around with his bare hands. Didn't like that silliness then, even less now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Mar 2016 00:24 #46658 by five_red

shadar wrote: I think the writers fall into the "Oh, it's a superhero show, so we can do anything." mindset. To some degree they are right, but they have to also maintain consistency and reason in their choices. And they can stretch science in many directions, but they can't abandon reason.

The stated MILLION TON key to the fortress would sink into the middle of the Earth if it was that small. If their fans don't hold their feet to the fire, its easy for writers to get lazy. Instead, make it weigh a couple of hundred tons and have her struggle mightily with it, and you get the same effect. Helicopters or any likely equipment you can haul to that location isn't going to be able to lift that.

This is where Marvel does it far better.

I always thought the TV show SHIELD tried to keep it real. Same for Jessica Jones. But Supergirl is falling back into the type of writing we saw in the 60's and 70's when Superman pushed planets around with his bare hands. Didn't like that silliness then, even less now.

To give you some sense of scale, the Empire State Building apparently weighs in at 365,000 tons, and the Burj Khalifa when empty (aka the Dubai Tower) is 500,000 tons. This would mean the Fortress of Solitude's key weighs roughly 2.7 times as much as the Empire State Building, and twice as much as the world's tallest building.

There appears to be no real control or planning over the writing. Stuff is being thrown into the scripts merely for cheap effect, without any consideration as to whether it (a) makes any sense, or (b) keeps continuity with the rest of the show. So, in 1x01 Kara has trouble steering a plane, and in 1x04 she struggles to hold up a building, then in 1x15 she can pick up a key with ease that has the weight of several skyscrapers combined. (All it would take to fix this problem is wi-fi access in the writers room, so the writers can use Google.)

Kenneth Johnson, when he took charge of the Bionic Woman, was quick to define exactly what the lead character's bionics could and could not do, and reportedly rejected scripts that showed Jaime Sommers performing stunts outside the limits he had set. Supergirl would do well to adopt the same tactic, because the current laissez faire strategy is leading to gross inconsistencies between episodes.

It is sometimes said of the 1984 Supergirl movie that the best strategy for enjoying it is to treat it as a collection of individual stand-alone scenes, and don't attempt to make sense of it as a whole. Perhaps by way of a homage to the classic movie, the Supergirl tv show is following the same path -- it (mostly) works as a collection of individual episodes, but loses any logical consistency when one tries to put them together into a series.

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
04 Mar 2016 02:40 #46663 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 1 x 15 Spoilers and Discussions Solitude
We are all assuming just because James said it it is truth.
He could have been teasing.
Supergirl did have a big smile on her face when she picked it up.

More
06 Mar 2016 03:12 #46686 by castor
In pretty much every media Supermans style powers tend to vary tremendiously(there was a lot of controvery on the net about a week ago when Super gets distracted by a cloud of smoke in BVS. That totally happens a lot in comics). How strong kryptonians are, how invulnerable etc. Sometimes there gods who can move planets, sometimes they have trouble lifting up cars

That said i do think Supergirl has been particuarly agregious in that regard,partially because they have a very strong desire to keep her in danger in every episode at least a little bit-and as i have said before thats not always good kryptonian storytelling.Supergirl works best where she can't just out punch or fight the villians, or doesn't want to out punch them, or deals with the consiquences of it.

But its the show we have.

More
07 Mar 2016 19:35 #46708 by lfan
Respectfully disagree as I think MB is a better Supergirl than Laura would be, given the current tone of the CBS show. I was an ardent supporter of LvV, especially when there was talk of a SG spinoff way back when, but for the dual role of Supergirl/Kara, I think MB is way better suited and is a far superior actress. Frankly, I think she's a way better actress, period.

Where LvV is undoubtedly more athletic and knows how to fight with her martial arts background, I think a lot of that is reliant on the stunt choreography. In "Truth....", MB looked much more fluid, probably thanks to Lexi Alexander directing it and personally taking ownership of the fight scenes.

Because they've gone with this "wholesome" tone with the show, I think MB is hands down my favored pick of the two. If it were darker in nature and featured more "super" than "girl", perhaps LvV....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red, Markiehoe

More
07 Mar 2016 22:10 #46711 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 1 x 15 Spoilers and Discussions Solitude
I agree with lfan.

This show is being written for Melissa and around Melissa.
She is the superior actress when it comes to range.

If LvV was playing Melissa's Supergirl ....ooof we would have a wreck here.
It would have to be a more grim and gritty show which is the last thing we need.

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds