Amount

Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling

22 Feb 2016 22:32 - 22 Feb 2016 23:20 #46535 by SupergirlTV
WHOA is Red Kryptonite going to to take Kara down a dark path? Ep 16 title & synopsis here: www.supergirl.tv/episode-16-title-synopsis

Kara turns on her friends and the citizens of National City after being exposed to Red Kryptonite makes her malicious and dangerous. Also, Cat appears on THE TALK to discuss Supergirl, on SUPERGIRL, Monday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. The hosts of CBS Daytime’s “The Talk” guest star.

CHEAT TWEET: #RedKryptonite causes #Supergirl to turn on her friends & the hosts of @TheTalkCBS guest star! New ep 3/14 8pm ET/PT bit.ly/1Qy0iez

REGULAR CAST:

Melissa Benoist
(Kara Danvers/Supergirl)

Calista Flockhart
(Cat Grant)

Chyler Leigh
(Alex Danvers)

Mehcad Brooks
(James Olsen)

David Harewood
(Hank Henshaw)

Jeremy Jordan
(Winslow “Winn” Schott)

RECURRING CAST:

Jenna Dewan-Tatum
(Lucy Lane)

Peter Facinelli
(Maxwell Lord)

Italia Ricci
(Siobhan Smythe)

Briana Venskus
(Agent Vasquez)

Tawny Cypress
(Senator Miranda Crane)

GUEST CAST:

Aisha Tyler
(Herself)

Julie Chen
(Herself)

Sara Gilbert
(Herself)

Sharon Osbourne
(Herself)

Sheryl Underwood
(Herself)

Kitana Turnbull
(Costumed Girl)

Kylierae Condon
(Mean Girl)

Dan Warner
(Fire Captain)
Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 23:20 by fats. Reason: Edited to remove all the excess space
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, five_red

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SupergirlTV
  • SupergirlTV's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2016 23:27 #46564 by SupergirlTV
Replied by SupergirlTV on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
Check out these DARK photos from a very uncharacteristic red kryptonite infected #Supergirl: www.supergirl.tv/preview-photos-for-falling

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• SupergirlTV
  • SupergirlTV's Avatar Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2016 00:59 #46566 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
I will be there with bells on, a .45 at my side, a tub of popcorn with real butter, and a six pack of New Glarus Spotted Cow. This should be interesting!

Wish she went with a more daring look other than this little black full body covering suit but beggars and choosers.

I pray to the voices in my head that she stays under the influence for more than one episode!

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Feb 2016 17:44 - 25 Feb 2016 17:48 #46573 by Monty
She really looks like her mum and her twin aunt in those preview pics - and it's def not just the suit that makes her look like Astra! Amazing make-up around her eyes and great facial expression from Melissa - especially in the second pic with Alex!
Last edit: 25 Feb 2016 17:48 by Monty.

More
08 Mar 2016 17:10 - 08 Mar 2016 17:49 #46726 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
Here's your video preview, region lock free...

EDIT: now available with 4x as many pixels. Don't all [thank] me at once. (No seriously... it was Fats that found the HD version!)

R5
Last edit: 08 Mar 2016 17:49 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, Sarge395, jdrock24, Wotan45, fats, Monty

More
08 Mar 2016 17:12 #46728 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
Looks great :) Tnx for posting Red :)

Peace.

/K

More
10 Mar 2016 10:40 - 12 Mar 2016 20:17 #46742 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling

Sneak Peek #1 -- region locked for now. Will update when region-free versions become available.

EDIT #1: Five more sneak peeks.

EDIT #2: Extended trailer.

R5
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 20:17 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24, Wotan45, fats

More
15 Mar 2016 01:21 #46780 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
Let me just start of by saying I HATE the Good Girl gone Bad trope.
This episode checked all the boxes and now it's over.
She goes kinda bad....but not really bad.
If you are going to do it...do it.
But then the entire premise of the show is finished and you don't have Supergirl anymore.
So this was really a waste of time.

And come on.....she was cured so easily.

I wonder what happens if you use Red Kryptonite on Non?
Does he turn Good?

More
15 Mar 2016 03:17 #46781 by YAGS
I liked this episode, but I've always been more partial to the evil ubergirls.

My biggest complaint was how easy it was to cure her, along with how dumb the explanation was for how she got that way. Max "always knows what he's doing" Lord screws up badly enough that even the other characters on the show (who are frequently oblivious to plot holes) are poking multiples holes in his plan? And then he meekly apologizes and goes to the DEO to help him fix it, rather than just doing it himself with his internal staff? Very out of character for him, all around.

As for the quick cure, that's pretty much to be expected with this show - nothing ever lasts more than one episode. The show's just not that deep.

But as for the brunt of the story, with her going bad, I thought it was very well done. Melissa showed her acting chops, and played the bad girl well. And the makeup and costume people did a great job with her altered looks. Interesting choice having her civilian look copy Cat Grant's style, while her new costumed look copied Astra, but it works if you think about it. They're two women Kara admires, but doesn't actually want to be like them, because they're too mean. So when she goes mean, she copies them. Deeper than I'd expect from this show, and it worked.

I like that the transition was more gradual than past red kryptonite encounters in various shows and movies. And it didn't require constant contact with the red K to maintain the altered personality like some. The scene with the peanuts in the bar was an interesting choice to copy from Christopher Reeve's version of Superman. I wonder how many people recognized it. I thought it was great.

I liked the parts of the final battle that we could see clearly, though again, there was a lot of action in the night sky that was fast, blurry, and dark, so I couldn't follow it. The stupid part is that those CGI scenes are probably a large part of the show's budget, and they're the worst part of the whole thing.

J'onn revealing himself (especially in public around civilians with cell phone cameras) was the biggest surprise of the episode to me. I'm curious as to what will happen with the DEO now. I thought the senator, whose transition to trusting them in the earlier episode was stupidly sudden, would have a deeper role than she did here, instead of just transitioning back just as stupidly and suddenly. In fact, I actually suspected she might be involved in the red K plot from the start, as if she was faking her previous transition to trusting them, but again, this show isn't that deep or creative.

As for Cat appearing on The Talk at the beginning, I almost forgot to mention it, because it just isn't worth mentioning. Cheap cameo to get some extra publicity for both shows by having a crossover, but it was a short enough scene to be irrelevant and forgettable.

More
15 Mar 2016 14:17 #46782 by KarkClent
Replied by KarkClent on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
Actually, I thought the peanut scene referenced when Supergirl was hanging out with her then-boyfriend Boomer from the comic books (pre New 52). The one where they were watching people in their apartments and she flicked a peanut at a man about to beat his wife, knocking him out for a few seconds.

And I thought this episode was rather strong for what it is and I actually liked how they ended it with National City now hating Supergirl (again) though they essentially ripped off Nolan for it. And the way Kara was casually hovering with eyes glowing was probably my favorite touch on all this. J'onn revealing himself was probably the biggest shocker, though it makes sense since the next episode is primarily on J'onn. On top of that, now we have a decent set up for the Silver Banshee in the oncoming episodes.

• KarkClent
  • [TO BE CONTINUED]
More
15 Mar 2016 17:29 - 15 Mar 2016 17:31 #46786 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
On the whole I generally liked this episode.

I concede there were some, hmm, dumb points (the most notably, as someone mentioned, being how quickly she was cured). However having said that, I felt there was a solid underpinning to everything. The costumes she chose, as Yags mentioned, was really clever, for example.

Also, for me, the show works best when it deals with its characters and their relationships. The best parts for me in this episode was when Kara was confronting the various people in her life, and letting out the inner thoughts she has about them. The scene with Alex in her apartment was great, and I like the fact that they didn't just brush it off with Alex saying at the end "Oh it wasn't you speaking" or something like that. Alex acknowledged there was some truth to it, and that was great imo. Same with the scene with Kat at the end. "Oh everything is now ok Supergirl", would have been a cop-out thing for Kat to say. No, these things need to be worked out, and kudos to the writers for not cheapening the developments that happened in this episode.

My favourite scene was Hank revealing himself in public, to save those he cares about. That exchange with Alex when she tells him to run and with a simple gestures he acknowledges her, and why she says that to him, but chooses to do the "right" thing. That's what a hero does.

The performances from Melissa, Chyler and Harewood were brilliant to watch in this episode, especially Melissa. Well done to all three of them.

I understand that this show is not the deepest in the world, but I do enjoy the fact that there is a lot more thought put into it then I would have imagined. Little touches make the difference.

One last thing, on the subject of little touches, I too spotted the "homage" to Reeves and Superman III and the nerd in me went "Yay" :P

Looking forward to the next episode.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 15 Mar 2016 17:31 by kikass2014.

More
16 Mar 2016 04:32 #46793 by YAGS

KarkClent wrote: Actually, I thought the peanut scene referenced when Supergirl was hanging out with her then-boyfriend Boomer from the comic books (pre New 52). The one where they were watching people in their apartments and she flicked a peanut at a man about to beat his wife, knocking him out for a few seconds.

You've obviously never seen Superman 3 (1983):

And if I remember correctly, he was even under the influence of artificially created kryptonite at the time, that was intended to kill him, but altered his personality instead. So pretty big parallel to last night's Supergirl episode.

More
16 Mar 2016 06:34 #46794 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
I have to agree that the main plot(s) are not the strong point of the show, it's the interaction of the main characters. The apology tour was the best part of this episode and was much better than I expected it to be.

OTH, I think one of the worst points is the On/off/on/no-don't-say it Kara/James Olson thing. It's now gone on far too long. It is realistic, real people do this sort of thing, but it's pretty boring for me at this point. Either they are going to get together and we should move on to that character development, OR they aren't and we should move on to dealing with that and the next thing.

They at least seem to be dealing with the Winn thing.

Cat Grant continues to be a far better character than I pegged her for in the pilot, but I suspect that's greatly due to Flockhart's acting.

The show does have problems with some of the secondary characters. The senator is not very realistic -- though the attraction bit they showed early in the episode with the hand placement might explain some of her over-reaction at the end.

I'd like Lord's actions better if it was some ploy for him to get more information. If by "helping" ... he got access to the DEO's information on Kryptonite, he could learn how to make it better. That would explain him willingly going to them to help.

And the "what would happen to Non" is a great one. Does it flip personality or make them more evil? Does Non turn good or turn into a Kryptonian Joker?

It stills seemed that Hank could have planned things better. I did really like his scene with Alex at the end.

More
16 Mar 2016 13:41 #46796 by lfan
Overall, I thought this was one of the better episodes of the season, especially in terms of the acting. MB hit it out of the park, in my opinion, in portraying Dark Kara as well as in the denoument on her remembering and regretting her actions. Coulda been really cheesy but she played it well.

While the writing still leaves me with a few "WTF moments" (like why would Kara simply let the Khund go? Wouldn't she WANT to beat him up more after being infected) I thought it was pretty good this episode. I actually liked their treatment of Red K as Lord's failed manufactured Kryptonite and how the effects were a slow and gradual burn and didn't wear off. Sure, it seemed rushed, especially how the gun magically turned her back, but I don't think that's on the writers as much as probably needing to wrap up the "evil supergirl plotline" within 48 mins. That said, it's good to see that next episode is seemingly the aftermath and how everyone does not simply forget and say "Supergirl is Great Again" right off the bat.

As mentioned by others, I thought the writers actually did a nice job with a few things like the "rise and fall of the DEO" in one episode as well as the surprising handling of Henshaw's character. Will be interesting to see where that goes going forward. They also have teed up Siobhan's downward spiral nicely. Ironic, that the writers have seemed (so far) to give the most care and feeding to the Siobhan storyline than almost any other subplot. Not rushed and cultivated over about 3-4 episodes rather than trying to wrap it up in one episode. They would be better suited to do that with some other storylines in Season 2.

I saw the rating have dropped. CBS isn't doing itself any favors by doing the on-again, off-again viewings. I know Season 2 was confirmed, but I hope it can keep some traction. I hope the Flash Xover pulls in some serious numbers in 2 weeks.....

ElF

More
17 Mar 2016 18:58 #46819 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Season 1 x 16 Spoilers and Discussions Falling
Finally found time to watch this episode (My kid has swim lessons on Monday nights so we miss it when it is on live) and I found it to be one of my favorites.

A few notes:

- Loved the fight bad Kara had with the Khund. Enjoyed the smack talk she gave him. I know it will probably never happen again but I kind of like it when SG shows her superiority over a bad guy.
- Melissa Benoist's acting was fantastic in this episode. She really showed a lot of range.
- Still don't care about the Jimmy/Kara love "whatever" they have going on.
- I didn't like Maxwell Lord's characterization in this episode. They made him seem like a dunce. A real super villain would not screw up so easily.
- Curious as to what is going to happen with Jon Jonzz now. How does he bounce back from this?

More
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds