Amount

Season 1 x 20 Spoilers and Discussions Better Angels

27 Mar 2016 00:32 - 14 Apr 2016 23:25 #46992 by five_red
Season finale title announced. Airs Monday 18 April.

www.spoilertv.com/2016/03/supergirl-epis...0-better-angels.html

“Better Angels” – Supergirl is forced to do battle with an unexpected foe and must risk everything – including her life – to prevent Non and Indigo from destroying every person on the planet, on the first season finale of SUPERGIRL, Monday, April 18 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CHEAT TWEET: The stakes have never been higher! Kara’s enemies aim 2 destroy everyone on Earth! #Supergirl Season Finale 4/18 8pm bit.ly/1Mzp6RR

REGULAR CAST:

Melissa Benoist (Kara Danvers/Supergirl)
Calista Flockhart (Cat Grant)
Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers)
Mehcad Brooks (James Olsen)
David Harewood (Hank Henshaw/J’onn J’onzz)
Jeremy Jordan (Winslow “Winn” Schott)

RECURRING CAST:

Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Lucy Lane)
Chris Vance (Non)
Peter Facinelli (Maxwell Lord)
Laura Vandervoort (Indigo)
Briana Venskus (Agent Vasquez)
Glenn Morshower (General Sam Lane)
Dr. Eliza Danvers (Helen Slater)
Kitana Turnbull (Costumed Girl)
Dan Warner (Fire Captain)
Malina Weissman (Young Kara)

GUEST CAST:

Dawn Greenidge (Pedestrian Woman)
Jessica Garcia (Teenage Girl)

STORY BY: Andrew Kreisberg and Ali Adler
TELEPLAY BY: Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller
BASED ON: The Characters Appearing in the DC Comics
DIRECTED BY: Larry Teng

Warning: Spoiler!

EDIT #1: Pics
www.spoilertv.com/2016/03/supergirl-epis...0-better-angels.html

EDIT #2: Promo vid

EDIT #3: Extended promo vid

EDIT #4: Sneak peeks

R5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 23:25 by five_red.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2016 02:08 - 30 Mar 2016 18:22 #47059 by SupergirlTV
Here it is! The title and synopsis to the season finale of Supergirl. supergirl.tv/episode-20-title-synopsis

“Better Angels” – Supergirl is forced to do battle with an unexpected foe and must risk everything – including her life – to prevent Non and Indigo from destroying every person on the planet, on the first season finale of SUPERGIRL, Monday, April 18 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 18:22 by SupergirlTV.

More
30 Mar 2016 14:31 #47069 by lfan

SupergirlTV wrote: Here it is! The title and synopsis to the season finale of Supergirl. supergirl.tv/episode-20-title-and-synopsis

Link broken and has already been posted anyways

ElF

More
30 Mar 2016 18:22 - 30 Mar 2016 18:23 #47075 by SupergirlTV
Sorry about the link, I will update that. And at the time it wasn't posted. It was new information that Red5 has added after I posted it by editing his original post.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 18:23 by SupergirlTV.

More
30 Mar 2016 22:52 #47083 by SupergirlTV
Preview photos from the Supergirl finale: Put on your speculation hats! www.supergirl.tv/better-angels-preview-gallery
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
30 Mar 2016 23:55 #47084 by andyf
IMDB lists Malina Weissman as appearing in episode 20.

More
02 Apr 2016 17:05 #47132 by andyf
Don't be surprised if a series regular gets killed off in episode 20. For the season 1 finales of both Arrow and Flash, a series regular was killed off.

More
02 Apr 2016 17:14 - 02 Apr 2016 17:17 #47133 by Monty

andyf wrote: Don't be surprised if a series regular gets killed off in episode 20. For the season 1 finales of both Arrow and Flash, a series regular was killed off.

Possibly Cat? Maybe she takes a hit for Kara not knowing Kara would survive the hit. This would leave Kara with the quandary of if only Cat had still known her secret. Also, there is always the omni-present danger of Cat's inquisitive mind re-discovering Kara's true identity.... would it work a second time? Catco ownership gets passed to Cat's eldest son and a different type of chemistry ensues between her new boss and her as PA. All just guesswork of course...
Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 17:17 by Monty.

More
02 Apr 2016 19:10 #47135 by lfan

andyf wrote: Don't be surprised if a series regular gets killed off in episode 20. For the season 1 finales of both Arrow and Flash, a series regular was killed off.

If I had to guess, I'm guessing it will be Hank. Hank has demonstrated that he would anything to keep Alex and kara safe, and I would assume that means the ultimate sacrifice. Of course, being a hero, "death" isn't as permanent as it used to be :)

ElF

More
04 Apr 2016 12:43 #47157 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote:

If I had to guess, I'm guessing it will be Hank. Hank has demonstrated that he would anything to keep Alex and kara safe, and I would assume that means the ultimate sacrifice. Of course, being a hero, "death" isn't as permanent as it used to be :)

ElF

I don't think Hank/J'onn is that likely to be killed, given that I've been waiting to see a confrontation between him and a Hank/Cyborg for quite a while now. Although it would be an interesting twist to see a second Hank back from the grave to mess with Kara and Alex.

More
15 Apr 2016 01:53 #47319 by fats
I cant believe the final promo clips are up.

good going r5

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Apr 2016 02:55 #47353 by YAGS
So I have to ask: Am I the only one who thought the whole long "hope" speech at the beginning was so completely awful that you considered turning off the TV and not even bothering to watch the rest of the episode? And then if you did watch the rest of the episode, you ended up regretting it?

Not even bothering to post my specific complaints. I only do that for things I care enough about to bother, and this show no longer qualifies.

Let me know if it gets better next season - I won't be watching to find out.

More
19 Apr 2016 05:12 #47355 by lfan

YAGS wrote: So I have to ask: Am I the only one who thought the whole long "hope" speech at the beginning was so completely awful that you considered turning off the TV and not even bothering to watch the rest of the episode? And then if you did watch the rest of the episode, you ended up regretting it?

Not even bothering to post my specific complaints. I only do that for things I care enough about to bother, and this show no longer qualifies.

Let me know if it gets better next season - I won't be watching to find out.

:P

More
19 Apr 2016 06:18 #47356 by shadar
Gotta keep remembering that this show is being aimed at people whose only likely exposure to Supergirl, assuming they have any, has been the comic book version that started with N52. That SG is anything BUT warm and cute. So if they like the show, then they likely do so because Melissa's Supergirl is so radically different and more human than the comic version.

I also have to remind myself that one of Superman's key defining characteristics is that he's very human in his thoughts, emotions, feelings, etc. He's just as much Clark Kent as he is Superman. Maybe more so.

Clearly, this show's producers wanted to optimize that feature for Supergirl as well, albeit in a way that's identifiable to young women. Which makes it a bit soapy.

My problem is that for every scene, I see ways to make it far better (by my standards, anyway). More than any other show on TV, I rewrite every SG episode in my head. And then feel bummed that they squandered all that money and those production skills to only come up with THAT.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
19 Apr 2016 12:05 #47357 by Markiehoe
I was perfectly fine with the "HOPE" speech.
I liked the alternate way of dealing with the situation.
To be honest though the producers could have cut the fluff from last weeks episode and had the "HOPE" speech wrap up that episode.
There was no need to drag the Myrad storyline into this episode.

Then we have the traditional Knock down/ Smackdown/ Blow Things Up ending to this weeks episode.

More
19 Apr 2016 12:08 - 19 Apr 2016 16:06 #47359 by five_red
The final scene was edited down from the original script. Here's the full version that ended up on the cutting room floor:

Kara: Alex, Alex... can you hear me..?

Alex: Yes Kara, I can hear you. Please hurry... Myriad is frying the brains of everyone on the planet. We only have 3 minutes.

Kara: Alex, I just wanted to tell you something...

Alex: Okay..?

Kara: Alex, when I was a little girl, and I landed on this planet...

Alex: Don't want to be rude, Kara, but it this a long story?

Kara: No. When I was a little girl, and I landed on this planet...

Alex: Aha?

Kara: And I was all afraid, and alone, and sad -- boy I was really sad -- and I'd just lost everything: my home, my parents, everything I knew...

Alex: Okay, Kara, can you cut to the chase? -- Winn's eyes are starting to pop out of his head.

Kara: Yeah, sure... when I was a little girl, and I crashed landed, and I was all afraid, and Clark took me to you and Eliza and Jeremiah ... and well... well...

Alex: Well..?

Kara: Well, I just wanted you to know that you really helped me.

Alex: Great! Lucy's hair is starting to fall out -- we have 2 minutes -- do you think you can do something about Myriad now, Sis?

Kara: And then I met Winn... and later James... and Lucy... and you all made me feel... well, you all made me feel like I belonged.

Alex: That's nice, sis. Erm, MYRIAD?!!

Kara: Even though I was an alien from another world, you all made me feel like I belonged here. And I'm really really grateful.

Alex: Aha. 90 seconds Kara!

Kara: Really really grateful. Really really really...

Alex: Cool!! Do you know what would make me really really grateful right now?

Kara: Oh, yeah... Myriad!

Alex: Yup.

Kara: But Alex..?

Alex: Yup..?

Kara: Before I fly Fort Rozz into space, I just want to tell you something...

Alex: Okay, but you need to know General Lane's head just exploded. So if you could hurry it up there a little bit, Sis...

Kara: Sure. Alex?

Alex: Yup?

Kara: You're gonna find Jeremiah right?

Alex: Sure! Right after YOU deal with Myriad!! 60 seconds!

Kara: Right, yeah. Well, when you find him, tell him... tell him I kept wearing the glasses. Okay?

Alex: Sure. Now: MYRIAD!!?!?!!

Kara: You'll do that for me..?

Alex: Kara, I feel ... like ... my head is in a giant vice. Can't think any more. Pain ... too ... much..! Paaaain!!

Kara: Because he needs to know how very special he made me feel...

Alex: 30 ... sec... onds!! Urrrrrhh!

Kara: And Eliza too.

Alex: I'll ... tell ... t-h-e-m. 20...!

Kara: Okay... great... thanks Alex. You're the best sister ever. So... Myriad... what's your plan Alex? How do suggest I stop it?

Alex: WHAT!?!?!??!!!!!!!!

FX: LOUD SPLATTING NOISE

Kara: Alex? Alex? ... Alex? ... Helloooooo? ... Heeeeeellooooo..?

R5

EDIT Ratings are in: 1.2 (key 18-49 demo) and 6.17m total.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 16:06 by five_red.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Apr 2016 14:40 #47363 by jdrock24
I know that I promised after last episode to stop being so negative and to only focus on the positives of this show.

Well, I'm sorry but I have to get one thing off my chest: SUPERGIRL HAS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM FLYING IN SPACE!!!! In fact, in last week's episode of this show, Superman was gone for a bit. Know where he was? IN SPACE!!! I hate sounding like those people who can't accept any alternate versions to their favorite comic book heroes but come on. If Superman doesn't have a problem, why does Supergirl? Do you even remember what happened in the last episode when writing your next episode?

Okay, that's it. I'm not even going to mention the other negatives of this episode. Positives...positives....ummmm...SG lifting Fort Roz into space was pretty cool.

More
19 Apr 2016 16:07 #47364 by Woodclaw

jdrock24 wrote: I know that I promised after last episode to stop being so negative and to only focus on the positives of this show.

Well, I'm sorry but I have to get one thing off my chest: SUPERGIRL HAS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM FLYING IN SPACE!!!! In fact, in last week's episode of this show, Superman was gone for a bit. Know where he was? IN SPACE!!! I hate sounding like those people who can't accept any alternate versions to their favorite comic book heroes but come on. If Superman doesn't have a problem, why does Supergirl? Do you even remember what happened in the last episode when writing your next episode?

Okay, that's it. I'm not even going to mention the other negatives of this episode. Positives...positives....ummmm...SG lifting Fort Roz into space was pretty cool.

Okay, perhaps I'm overanalyzing here, but since the original Crisis of 1984 it was established that Kryptonians can't survive in space for prolonged periods of time without some kind of survival equipment. It might be fridge logic but, as far as we know, Superman might have a dedicated space suit or some other bit of technology to allow him to survive in space, which Kara didn't have the time to get.

More
19 Apr 2016 16:40 #47365 by jdrock24

Woodclaw wrote: Okay, perhaps I'm overanalyzing here, but since the original Crisis of 1984 it was established that Kryptonians can't survive in space for prolonged periods of time without some kind of survival equipment. It might be fridge logic but, as far as we know, Superman might have a dedicated space suit or some other bit of technology to allow him to survive in space, which Kara didn't have the time to get.

You could be right. I'm not 100% sure. I know the Superman in the Animated Series needed a spacesuit. But then again, I just read a New 52 Superman graphic novel with the Doomsday virus and he was in space for a long time without one.

In any event, Keelex told SG that SM was off planet on a mission and then in the very next scene he's flying into National City with no space suit. Did he drop it off with Star Labs on the way? I don't know...

More
19 Apr 2016 17:39 #47368 by Woodclaw

jdrock24 wrote:

Woodclaw wrote: Okay, perhaps I'm overanalyzing here, but since the original Crisis of 1984 it was established that Kryptonians can't survive in space for prolonged periods of time without some kind of survival equipment. It might be fridge logic but, as far as we know, Superman might have a dedicated space suit or some other bit of technology to allow him to survive in space, which Kara didn't have the time to get.

You could be right. I'm not 100% sure. I know the Superman in the Animated Series needed a spacesuit. But then again, I just read a New 52 Superman graphic novel with the Doomsday virus and he was in space for a long time without one.

In any event, Keelex told SG that SM was off planet on a mission and then in the very next scene he's flying into National City with no space suit. Did he drop it off with Star Labs on the way? I don't know...

I don't know what the New52 Superman limitations are (I suppose that he can survive in space for quite a while, given that New52 Supergirl appeared capable of interplanetary travel), but before Flashpoint he had to undergo a training regime to become able to remain in space for more than a few minutes without breathing equipment.

More
20 Apr 2016 06:41 #47374 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Season 1 x 20 Spoilers and Discussions Better Angels
Separate from the breathing issue is also the "flying in space issue". Superman could always fly in space, even when he needed life support.

I'm just going to ignore that and say she can fly in space, but not breathe. The huge exertion of lifting the fort burned up all her oxygen and she passed out.

And none of the comments on Superman being out in space say he didn't use some kind of ship. No suit to return, once inside the atmosphere, he set his ship on autopilot and flew into battle. (He might be faster than his ship in the atmosphere, or jumped very close.)

More
20 Apr 2016 17:06 #47377 by shadar
I couldn't make it through this episode. I tried, cringing, and I got to the 1/3rd mark, right up to the scene at the DEO where Kara visits Hank, who is handcuffed to his bed. Behind them we see Superman's boots and blue legs as he lays unconscious. Nobody pays any attention to Superman, nor why he seems to be the only person on Earth who is still affected by Myriad.

At that point, I lost it. Couldn't watch any more. Worst writing ever. Season 1 ended there for me. It was so awful. I no longer cared what they did in the rest of the show.

Never thought I'd give up on this show, but I have, at least when it comes to Season 1.

If Season 2 fixes the terrible writing and direction, then I'll watch it. If not, and we get more of this kind of crap, then this series goes into my personal dustbin of comic book history.

Shadar

• shadar
More
20 Apr 2016 20:32 #47381 by jdrock24

shadar wrote: I couldn't make it through this episode. I tried, cringing, and I got to the 1/3rd mark, right up to the scene at the DEO where Kara visits Hank, who is handcuffed to his bed. Behind them we see Superman's boots and blue legs as he lays unconscious. Nobody pays any attention to Superman, nor why he seems to be the only person on Earth who is still affected by Myriad.

At that point, I lost it. Couldn't watch any more. Worst writing ever. Season 1 ended there for me. It was so awful. I no longer cared what they did in the rest of the show.

Shadar

That was my second cringe-worthy moment. Superman is literally lying there mere feet away and Kara doesn't say one word to him? Not even a "Don't worry Kal, I'll stop Non. You just recover, okay?"

You are lucky that you can just give it up. I screwed up and got my kids addicted to it so I'll probably be stuck watching all of Season 2 no matter how bad it is. I just pray that it gets better. At this point, it has to, right?

More
20 Apr 2016 21:30 #47382 by castor

shadar wrote: I couldn't make it through this episode. I tried, cringing, and I got to the 1/3rd mark, right up to the scene at the DEO where Kara visits Hank, who is handcuffed to his bed. Behind them we see Superman's boots and blue legs as he lays unconscious. Nobody pays any attention to Superman, nor why he seems to be the only person on Earth who is still affected by Myriad.

Never thought I'd give up on this show, but I have, at least when it comes to Season 1.

If Season 2 fixes the terrible writing and direction, then I'll watch it. If not, and we get more of this kind of crap, then this series goes into my personal dustbin of comic book history.

Shadar

i would kinda suggest you finish it up...

but...

the main issue was this episode was really uneven. Some of the character stuff was good. They have established a fair number of intresting characters and its attempts to kinda pay them off work well. The Alex scenes had fun, the Winn stuff did an okay job, the stuff with cat felt a good send off to the "Young woman in the big city subplot"

i will say the rommance stuff was well done in a kinda of effecting way of someone who thinks there going to die and doesn't want to go out on it. I just wish i cared a little bit more about James as a character.

It ended with what i will say this- a kinda cool action sequence including a suprisingly violent scene for the show, and the fort Roz stuff was the first time ever you really got a giant sence of power in a good special effect. After bitiching all years about the technical issues and the fights-in the final one-it delivered.

But overall yeah.

And it struck me what to compare it to-the pilot. The pilot felt a rushed kinda silly at times attempt to get Kara from one place to another and make sure there was a bad guy in it. I think everyone said at the time-well you know it would be better if there was like a second hour. This could have used it, to cleanup the myriad scene in a way that wasn't just a speach(and i think the speach itself was you know-i am not saying i think they wrote the speach then the reast of the season around it. but if they did it wouldn't suprise me), and in general keep the plot just not feeling at times to quick and to slow.

Which i guess is how i felt a lot about so much of the episodes. Like i said last week 1 out of 4 feel like the best show on televsision. 1 out of 4 are utter crap. and this wasn't that...but yeah. hope they figure stuff out more, and not just you know who the next villian is, or what the next major plotline is-you need to work a little on the DNA here.

More
21 Apr 2016 05:20 #47391 by shadar

castor wrote:

Shadar

i would kinda suggest you finish it up...

but...

the main issue was this episode was really uneven. Some of the character stuff was good. They have established a fair number of intresting characters and its attempts to kinda pay them off work well. The Alex scenes had fun, the Winn stuff did an okay job, the stuff with cat felt a good send off to the "Young woman in the big city subplot"

i will say the rommance stuff was well done in a kinda of effecting way of someone who thinks there going to die and doesn't want to go out on it. I just wish i cared a little bit more about James as a character.

It ended with what i will say this- a kinda cool action sequence including a suprisingly violent scene for the show, and the fort Roz stuff was the first time ever you really got a giant sence of power in a good special effect. After bitiching all years about the technical issues and the fights-in the final one-it delivered.

But overall yeah.

And it struck me what to compare it to-the pilot. The pilot felt a rushed kinda silly at times attempt to get Kara from one place to another and make sure there was a bad guy in it. I think everyone said at the time-well you know it would be better if there was like a second hour. This could have used it, to cleanup the myriad scene in a way that wasn't just a speach(and i think the speach itself was you know-i am not saying i think they wrote the speach then the reast of the season around it. but if they did it wouldn't suprise me), and in general keep the plot just not feeling at times to quick and to slow.

Which i guess is how i felt a lot about so much of the episodes. Like i said last week 1 out of 4 feel like the best show on televsision. 1 out of 4 are utter crap. and this wasn't that...but yeah. hope they figure stuff out more, and not just you know who the next villian is, or what the next major plotline is-you need to work a little on the DNA here.

I took your advice, Castor. I watched the rest of it.

I'm not sure if it was the two days I had to think about it, or more likely a few tokes to adjust my mindset, but I kinda got into the second half of the show. Sure, there was the lifting a million tons thing (again!) but this time (unlike the key) she looked as if she was really struggling. Much better. And as others have said, there was the 'pass out in space thing' and Alex suddenly able to fly a Kryptonian pod-ship.

I didn't let that bother me. I let go of all my concepts of what SG is about (or should be, in my opinion) and just soaked up the particular flavor of SG the show was portraying. If you ignore the details, this episode works as a season ender, and a segue into a slightly different portrayal of Kara/SG in Season 2.

Lots of interesting hooks left behind. The job she's going to invent for herself and relationship with Cat. The renewed DEO with Hank. The romance with James, which sounds like its developing some legs. Helen Slater's greater involvement in the show and the search for their dad. Oh... and the pod occupant.

No way its Streaky (as fun as that would be). I don't know if Melissa was privy to what is in the pod when they filmed that scene, so I don't want to read too much into her expression. But if I did, her look suggests there is a much younger person in the pod. Not sure why, but that's the vibe I got. But as I said, it might not mean anything if Melissa was just told to look surprised without knowing why. Joys of ending a season with some uncertainty about where Season 2 was going, or so has been reported.

Who do I want it to be? Her equivalent from the other Krypton. Kara Zor'l. Karen Starr/PG, of course.

More likely though it'll be the young Kal'L from that same world. That puts a male Kryptonian into the show without infringing on Superman. Superboy or whatever. Someone very handsome with a unique and interesting personality that appeals to young women. (Although some would call that fan service.)

So anyway, I'm back among the ranks of those who enjoy the show. I just have to adjust my attitude first. Today was 420. What can I say.

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds