Amount

Season 2 Worth Watching in Terms of Super Strength?

21 Jun 2017 13:32 #54924 by Gargamel
Are there superstrength scenes from either supergirl or other females? I watched S01 and the first 3-4 episodes of S02 but the storyline/acting was so dull that I decided to let it be. I really wanted to give this show a chance but now I'm mainly interested in ss-stuff. Therefore, can you point me to episodes/scenes? S01 was not too bad from this point of view (with by far beeing the best episode the one in which melissa makes contact with red kryptonite of course), so maybe there is some hope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gargamel
  • Gargamel's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2017 16:54 #54925 by shadar
Your question made me think. Then I laughed, not at you but at the concept. For when it comes to Kryptonians, their Number One power, by far, has always been their fantastic strength of body, combined with invulnerability. That's mainly what makes a Krypt a Krypt.

The fact that we'd even have to question where to see super strength used in a Supergirl show says a lot. At least to me.
Sort of like asking for episodes of a sailing show where it proves that water is wet.

The reality is that laser vision and flying are what the show focused on. The other powers were there when needed, but that wasn't what the show focused on. Mostly they showed up during fight scenes, and that was always hard to judge. Was she 10 or 50 times stronger than a human or a BILLION times stronger? The end of Season 1 suggested the last (tossing the million ton Fort Roz into space).

I'd have to go back and rewatch every episode (which I haven't finished watching the first time) to find good examples of pure super strength. it's my impression that was done more in Season 1. The pilot episode with the airliner. The Fort Roz thing.

Any Supergirl TV experts want to clarify further? I think we're talking pure raw strength here.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach, Gargamel

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
22 Jun 2017 14:53 #54948 by jdrock24
I would like to know the answer to this question also. Now that Season 2 is on Netflix, it would be great if I could just skip to the relevant episodes and not have to sit through the bad writing and silly plot points.
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

More
22 Jun 2017 18:10 #54953 by Monty
Not superstrength from Melissa, but this scene looks pretty cool. It was voted in the top two scenes of the second season.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: peterso20, Markiehoe, Gargamel

More
22 Jun 2017 22:32 #54954 by shadar

Monty wrote: Not superstrength from Melissa, but this scene looks pretty cool. It was voted in the top two scenes of the second season.

While that is a cute scene, the request had been for examples of super-strength. Season 2 is full of flying and laser vision, but I wouldn't say that this scene shows anything superhuman except for flight.

Season 1 we had Kara lifting airliners, ambulances, giant space stations (which are on the ground) and getting into fights with other super-strong characters. Even scene like her standing in the road and having a semi truck split in two and explode as it ran into her were interesting.

Not so much in Season 2. In fact, I'm drawing a blank.

I assume super-strength is a lot more complicated and pricey to show than some laser vision or a bit of trapeze post-production work.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach, Gargamel

• shadar
More
25 Jun 2017 23:30 #55001 by SCOTT R
"I assume super-strength is a lot more complicated and pricey to show than some laser vision or a bit of trapeze post-production work."

They should ask TKS if they can borrow his rubber crowbar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, shadar

More
27 Jun 2017 20:31 #55037 by peterso20
That gif is really cool - and sorry for going off topic but my favourite power has always been flight... does anyone know of any good links or compilations of the flying effects and scenes in Supergirl? Particularly the casual ones where she's using her flight powers in more every day situations...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
29 Jun 2017 22:28 - 29 Jun 2017 22:33 #55077 by lowerbase
In Smallville the main Clark's power is that he is superfast.

In Supergirl is the laser vision

Kryptonians have a weakness greater than Kryptonite, which is the low budget (anyone care to remember Superman 4? His powers went batshit crazy because of the low budget, like fixing the great wall of china by just staring at it!)

Material bending and fracturing is one of the most difficult effects to do in CG to this day (it is like a complex cloth simulation). I see big budget movies still using practical effects instead, and besides, the interaction between the actor and the force applied to the material is very hard to get it right with physics simulations.

Even in Pixar/Dreamworks full CG movies they avoid any scene with material deforming/fracturing. Which is one of the reasons that hand drawn animation has better 'destruction scenes' than most movies, like Iron Giant or Akira. Hero 6 or any recent Marvel movies the destruction scenes still has always something off.

One of the things that still pisses me off on all 'super strength' scenes is a 170lbs person lifting a ton like an empty plate (which is the cheapest form of showing super strength). Physics don't work this way, in reality the person would be lifted by his own force from the floor instead, that is, unless the super person is exactly below the center of mass of the heavier object and so is able to squat it up. On Kryptonians I give a break because they can fly, but still in all of these scenes, including Wonder Woman lifting a tank, it shows them using their feet for leverage.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2017 22:33 by lowerbase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
29 Jun 2017 22:48 #55080 by kikass2014

Kryptonians have a weakness greater than Kryptonite, which is the low budget (anyone care to remember Superman 4? His powers went batshit crazy because of the low budget, like fixing the great wall of china by just staring at it!)

One of the funniest things I've read in a while :D And so true :dry:

Bravo sir, bravo :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: lowerbase

More
30 Jun 2017 01:15 #55084 by shadar

lowerbase wrote:
One of the things that still pisses me off on all 'super strength' scenes is a 170lbs person lifting a ton like an empty plate (which is the cheapest form of showing super strength). Physics don't work this way, in reality the person would be lifted by his own force from the floor instead, that is, unless the super person is exactly below the center of mass of the heavier object and so is able to squat it up. On Kryptonians I give a break because they can fly, but still in all of these scenes, including Wonder Woman lifting a tank, it shows them using their feet for leverage.

I have the same problem with most of those scenes. In reality, the body mechanics to use that kind of strength would be unusual, and anything mechanical (like a vehicle) is going to bend and pop and distort as it lifted from outside its center of gravity. And even if all that weight somehow did rest on their feet, they are likely to damage whatever they are standing on.

But they don't have to go all the way there. They could make it WAY better with one simple thing -- have the blue-screen actor actually lift an awkwardly sized, heavy 'blue' weight that is close to their limit of strength. That will require them to adjust their footing and balance and show real muscles working. Then add the car or tank or whatever in post-production as usual.

How hard can that be?
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach, kikass2014

• shadar
More
30 Jun 2017 11:51 #55087 by brantley
Finally, finally some fresh thinking!

--Brantley

More
01 Jul 2017 18:02 #55108 by kikass2014

They could make it WAY better with one simple thing -- have the blue-screen actor actually lift an awkwardly sized, heavy 'blue' weight that is close to their limit of strength. That will require them to adjust their footing and balance and show real muscles working. Then add the car or tank or whatever in post-production as usual.

That's some pretty smart thinking tbh. Never even considered that.

Peace.

/K

More
02 Aug 2017 22:38 #55638 by Random321
I saw this post and I was tempted to re-watch the entire season and log the minute marks on Netflix when I saw fun action shots. I got part way into the first episode before I was derailed. Ha!

That said - I know there was some fun stuff - and even in the S2 first episode she moves a crane out of the way of a crashing pod... ...but now that I'm typing this I'm thinking maybe that was retread from S1's finale.

S1 certainly had more lifting/pushing style stuff - S2 is more fisticuffs style action - at least that was my impression.

...I really should create a DB for CWSG and my own videos... ...or I could get back to making new stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Markiehoe

More
02 Aug 2017 23:20 #55640 by mo
I very much hope one day to see more PSW Random :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321

More
03 Aug 2017 01:07 #55643 by Helstar

shadar wrote: I assume super-strength is a lot more complicated and pricey to show than some laser vision or a bit of trapeze post-production work.

Bingo !

More
03 Aug 2017 01:28 #55645 by Markiehoe

mo wrote: I very much hope one day to see more PSW Random :)

Me Too
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321

More
03 Aug 2017 03:14 - 04 Aug 2017 03:30 #55657 by theomach
I once read and it may have been here on Superwomenmania that the reason objects don't bend or break is that Kryptonians project a telekinetic field that holds objects together. I don't know if this is true, but it's an interesting theory. Logic dictates that Shadar is correct though.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 03:30 by theomach.

More
07 Oct 2017 22:32 #56501 by Monty
Catching up with season 2 at the mo - ep.20, six minutes in, Kara flies up and catches a 4x4 truck. Not the best CGI, but it's something showing her easy superstrength.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Markiehoe, Gargamel

More
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds