Amount

Season 4 Rumours that have drifted my way...

11 Feb 2018 21:57 - 13 Feb 2018 10:58 #58540 by five_red
I thought it might be fun to record, given that the show is on mini-hiatus, some of the rumours that have been circulating on the outer reaches of the internet. These aren't just any ol' crackpot theories though -- the following information comes from users on forums who claim to have spoken to people working on the show, and other members have confirmed that have a track record of not being entirely inaccurate (which is not the same thing as being accurate.)

A few things to note:
  • The following contains supposed spoilers concerning episodes 14 to 20, including apparent plot details.
  • I'm not going to reveal were this stuff come from. It's from two primary sources, who appear to be different people. The information below is directly from these sources, not people quoting the sources -- although the sources are (obviously) repeating stuff they claim to have been told by people at WB or CW etc. Unless otherwise noted, each rumour is from one source only -- no corroboration.
  • I personally am somewhat skeptical of this information, and you should be too. I present it here merely for the purposes of discussing hypothetical scenarios. I'd be very surprised (pleasantly so) if any of it turns out to be true. One or two minor details I've been able to personally confirm as true by other means... but that doesn't count for much in my book.
  • I don't watch the show any more, so I've tried my best to summarise and rephrase the information in a way that is more structure then the rambling chat sessions it originated in -- but given that I don't know who Imra is, and only have a vague idea who Ruby is, I may have gotten things mixed up a little -- I tried my best.
  • Remember what Mark Twain said: "There are lies, damned lies, and tv spoilers."

Have fun with these, but don't take them too seriously. In couple of months time we'll likely find out they're all bunkum.

R5

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 13 Feb 2018 10:58 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Random321, andyf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 Feb 2018 13:53 #58544 by andyf
Thanks for the rumors, five red. Heard anything about why the shows having a two month hiatus this year, what ate these so called production issues?

More
12 Feb 2018 14:38 #58545 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Season 4 Rumours that have drifted my way...
I also stopped watching Supergirl about half way through series 2, so I can't comment on any of these rumours as regards the show, however one of them did ring alarm bells for me in regards to future films/tv shows featuring superheroines.

More
12 Feb 2018 14:45 #58546 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Season 4 Rumours that have drifted my way...

andyf wrote: Thanks for the rumors, five red. Heard anything about why the shows having a two month hiatus this year, what ate these so called production issues?

Context: of the two sources, one largely was chatting about cast and crew, and avoiding spoilers -- responding to questions like "will Floriana Lima be returning" (no plans, but the writers are keen), "will Mehcad Brooks be in S4?" (probably!), and "who is the nicest cast member to crew?" (Katie and Chyler, although the respondent seemed to be a fan of the lesbian storylines, so that might be bias.) The other source seemed to be more open about hinting at specific story points, but the conversation was hijacked by Supercorp fans who just wanted to know the fate of Lena and Kara, hence there's a lot of detail in the spoilers above relating to Lena.

I didn't ask any questions myself. I don't watch the show, so just read the conversation transcript.

One of the sources, I can't remember which (first?), claimed that the Supergirl shooting schedule had not been changed thanks to AK's departure (still wrapping sometime in April(?), IIRC.) This might put paid to the idea that the rescheduling was due to any chaos caused by one of the producers leaving. If true, it means that getting Legends and Supergirl to share the same evening may have been more about ratings and wanting to focus promotion on other shows, rather than production delays. In other words: it would have happened anyway even without AK's dismissal. (I'm assuming that the actors are all signed on on the understanding of a given shooting schedule, and extending it would mean certain actors might not be free, and/or extra payments would have to be made(???))

One of the sources, when talking about the changing roster of producers and co-producers on CW shows, explained how the producer/co-producer/writer breakdown is handled. From memory, it went something like this: producers make the major high level decisions, writers create the scripts to realise the producer's vision, and co-producers are writers who take on the extra responsibility of managing the scripts on a day-to-day basis to make sure overall they will fit the vision of the producers and network. If true, then perhaps AK's departure wasn't such a massive headache in terms of the day-to-day running of the show.

As always, take the above with a massive pinch of salt.

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyf

• five_red
More
12 Feb 2018 15:53 - 12 Feb 2018 15:54 #58547 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 4 Rumours that have drifted my way...
With regards to the mini-break, I believe (as Red Five suggested), it has to do with the new Black Lightning show that is airing on Monday (in Legends of Tommorrows slot).

Moving them around allows both shows to keep their original Monday night slots (thus possibly not effecting their ratings/audiences), while also giving a lead in to the new show.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 12 Feb 2018 15:54 by kikass2014.

More
12 Feb 2018 16:50 #58548 by andyf
Black Lightening airs Tuesdays after Flash.

More
12 Feb 2018 22:19 #58550 by kikass2014
Ah. I stand corrected.

Peace.

/K

More
17 Feb 2018 13:47 - 17 Feb 2018 18:54 #58602 by five_red
A few more, from the same sources:

As before, treat this information with extreme caution: what-ifs rather than what-wills.

R5
Last edit: 17 Feb 2018 18:54 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

• five_red
More
17 Feb 2018 15:39 - 17 Feb 2018 15:41 #58603 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Season 4 Rumours that have drifted my way...
There are a few reasons why Supergirl is on hiatus. Firstly, the CW's been promoting Black Lightning pretty heavily, and so far, it's proven to be a solid show. However, I read an article which basically said that the CW does not want to air more than four DC shows at one time. Initially, Legends of Tomorrow was on a longer winter hiatus, allowing Black Lightning to take it's US time slot. Now the thing is, Legends has always had a lower number of episodes per season compared to Supergirl, Arrow, and the Flash. Basically they want to finish up Legends' season, then bring back Supergirl. Odds are that Supergirl was the sacrificial lamb because Flash is one of the CW's highest rated shows, and they wanted to keep Arrow(the CWverse's flagship series) synched with it for continuity's sake, as both shows exist in the same time and dimension(as opposed to the Legends gallivanting around time, and Kara being on an entirely different Earth). they tend to have the most overlap compared to the other series.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2018 15:41 by murdough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
17 Feb 2018 17:58 #58604 by kikass2014
^ I agree. Probably the most likely explanation Murdough.

Peace.

/K

More
17 Feb 2018 18:10 #58605 by andyf
So, Supergirl being put on such a longer hiatus has nothing to due with production issues? CW head Mark Pedawitz is lying about Supergirl? Wouldn't be the first time he lied about Supergirl..

More
17 Feb 2018 19:02 - 17 Feb 2018 19:05 #58606 by five_red
More... (this may be the final batch for a while.)

And, regarding the schedule... CW boss 'optimistic' that Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and Legends will return

The [Kreisberg] investigation also had nothing to do with what Pedowitz calls a “production delay” on Supergirl — the show will return for four weeks starting Jan. 15, after which Legends will air nine weeks of original episodes starting Feb. 12, while Supergirl takes a break until it reclaims the timeslot on April 16, following the Legends season finale on April 9. Supergirl’s season finale will then air June 18. “There was a little bit of a production delay,” Pedowitz says. “We knew we were never going to air five superhero shows [at the same time.]. ‘Okay, there’s a production delay, let them figure it out, don’t worry about it, we put Legends in, so we’ll run Legends and then we’ll put Supergirl right after it.’ Supergirl running into the summer is actually better programming for us year-round.”

R5
Last edit: 17 Feb 2018 19:05 by five_red.

• five_red
More
17 Feb 2018 19:40 #58607 by willow
It makes sense. If all five shows are airing at the same time, then you have a higher risk of burnout among the audience. It is also easier to focus on writing a 10 to 13 episode arc rather than trying to fill all 22 hours of season programming. On a season by season basis, how many of Smallville's 22 episode seasons were truly remember-able compared to the monster-of-the-week throwaway episodes. This also gives them more opportunity to do more crossovers in between seasons.

More
19 Feb 2018 17:20 #58621 by andyf
Pedawitz lied when he said the reason why Supergirl first aired on CBS was because she the CW turned it down. That cannot be true. Supergirl was always Kent to a major broadcast network. CW does not reject shows that go to bigger networks. it's the other way around. See Riverdale and Black Lightening as recent examples

More
19 Feb 2018 21:22 #58622 by shadar
From the time we first heard about someone planning and developing a Supergirl TV show, it was described as heading to CBS.

Question is, did CBS ask for the show to be developed, or did the development company come up with the idea and pitch it to whoever would listen? In the second case, CW would certainly have heard the pitch. So when CBS picked it up, I guess you could technically say that CW turned it down.

Might be splitting hairs here...

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
20 Feb 2018 04:18 #58632 by willow
CW would be an obvious network of choice for a studio to pitch the show to considering its current lineup and past experience with Smallville. However, CW may have said no considering the other shows they were already airing, and the price tag for Supergirl may have been more than CW was willing to pay. Keep in mind that Supergirl immediately moved to Vancouver to cut costs after they transitioned over to the CW.

More
20 Feb 2018 15:12 #58642 by andyf
Pedawitz said somethng about Flash not yet airing. Still, CW could have have just ordered a script and they didn't like it or if Flash bombed they could have said no. Listening to him, he made it sound like it would have to to series no matter what. That's why I don't always trust him.

More
27 Feb 2018 04:19 #58699 by SupergirlTV
Replied by SupergirlTV on topic Season 4 Rumours that have drifted my way...
Hey SWM, it’s been a long time! Sorry for my absence my work’s proxy has blocked many sites with “women” and “mania” in them. It’s been difficult to visit.

As for the rumors, I can comment on at least one thing for sure, the season wraps filming in end of April. We know this because of a hilarious mistake the place where the wrap party is being held made. Basically they reached out to us to plan the wrap party. Oops.

I would be curious to know more about these sources as they are lining up with the info we are hearing as well. I am interested in the Floriana piece since she signed for Punisher today.

More
03 Mar 2018 20:49 - 03 Mar 2018 21:43 #58752 by five_red
EDIT: I've already received information that contradicts some of the accounts in this thread. As I said before, don't assume any of this stuff is accurate.

More info, this time (just to mix things up) from a different source to the above...

Because there as so many spoiler fragments floating around, I've compiled them all together into an episode-by-episode breakdown.

Last edit: 03 Mar 2018 21:43 by five_red.

• five_red
More
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds