Amount

Season 4 - Supergirl searches for its new 'Cat Grant'

19 May 2018 11:10 - 19 May 2018 11:10 #59532 by five_red
Season 4 is casting a new 10/13 regular character , Nia Nal, a transgender woman who works alongside Kara as a reporter at Catco, described as being a young Cat Grant type (outspoken and fashion concious. but with hidden emotional depths.)

R5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 19 May 2018 11:10 by five_red.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 May 2018 14:45 #59534 by kikass2014

Nia Nal, a transgender woman....

AHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Welp, par for the course it seems.

I wonder if they will be Kara's new love interest :unsure:

Peace.

/K

More
19 May 2018 16:19 #59535 by Markiehoe
I am new to all this.

Transgender woman

Is that:
A man who is thinking about transitioning
A man about to transition into a woman
A man transitioning into a woman
A man who has transitioned into a woman

Could a male actor, not transgender, just play this part?
Like a straight man just playing gay.

More
19 May 2018 16:30 - 19 May 2018 16:31 #59536 by kikass2014
I have no idea tbh :unsure:

But, if they are specifically requesting that as part of the character, then stop the call! Just cast Candis Cayne.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Peace.

/K

P.S. "She" was actually pretty good in Magicians (season 3) as the Fairy Queen. And you get bonus points in that "she" actually is transgender :D
Last edit: 19 May 2018 16:31 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
19 May 2018 16:41 #59537 by shadar

kikass2014 wrote:

Nia Nal, a transgender woman....

AHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Welp, par for the course it seems.

I wonder if they will be Kara's new love interest :unsure:

Peace.

/K

This sounds like the logical next step in the show's social consciousness. A cute but complex lesbian couple at first, loving but wrong for each other. But gay relationships are passe now, and completely normalized in the eyes of most millennials, so on to the next thing that's still a bit edgy.

I think it's great as it allows the show and its viewers to "try on" various modern American themes, and see how to portray it realistically. To let people judge the accuracy or appropriateness of the portrayal as they refine their own thinking. While most millennials know gay couples, I suspect a minority are friends with someone who is transgender. So far, anyway.

One key benefit of good TV is to be a mirror looking back at society, and exploring concepts that are starting to gain traction in the culture. Remember the huge controversy over Kirk's romance (brief, as with all of Kirk's womanizing) with a black woman in the 60's? That mirror was useful at the time. I suppose this one will be now.

Personal story... when I was much younger and struggling to overcome the homophobia that I grew up with (50's, early 60's, small town, Midwest US and then military during Vietnam), and knowing that I should open my mind, I spent a Saturday night (with a girlfriend) at a famously gay Karaoke bar in San Franscisco. Oh my Lord, I'd had no idea. The regulars were very nice to us, despite the "limited imagination of our sexuality', but I'd never seen people having so much fun in my life. And I've spent a lot of time in bars. Gave me a whole new perspective on the attraction to alternate lifestyles -- as well as the outer limits of creativity in Karaoke! The sexual humor which pervaded everything was shocking but fun. It wasn't comfortable, not even close, but it was strangely fascinating seeing the huge variety of characters and behaviors and the acceptance of anything and everything.

I left with the idea that the folks in that bar were living very full and joyful lives, (and they REALLY knew how to party) with complex, multi-faceted relationships on a level that I had never experienced, but also that I was far too straight to dip a toe in that world. But I was happy that their world existed. (This was back when SF was one of the few places gay people could be themselves in public, and the lifestyle was exotic and extreme.)

Sort of the "open door in head, insert grenade, pull pin" kind of expanding awareness.

A TV show can hardly match that kind of personal experience, but at my age, I look for every opportunity to hammer some of the ossified edges out of my sometimes less than flexible mind, and see the world as some others do.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
19 May 2018 20:18 - 19 May 2018 20:25 #59538 by lfan

Markiehoe wrote: I am new to all this.

Transgender woman

Is that:
A man who is thinking about transitioning
A man about to transition into a woman
A man transitioning into a woman
A man who has transitioned into a woman

Could a male actor, not transgender, just play this part?
Like a straight man just playing gay.

A "transgender woman" is someone who was born anatomically as a male and now identifies as a woman

A male could play the part though it's not a "straight man playing gay". Being transgender is not being gay. Gay/straight/homosexual refers to sexuality. Transgender is based on gender identity.

ElF
Last edit: 19 May 2018 20:25 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
19 May 2018 21:35 - 19 May 2018 21:36 #59539 by Markiehoe
Just to clarify:

"Straight man playing gay"
Was just the first example playing against type that popped into my head.

We have had straight actors play gay
Gay actors play straight
Men play woman
Women play men
We have had Trans people play against their gender identity
We have had white actors play other races and all the other races play all other races.
Last edit: 19 May 2018 21:36 by Markiehoe.

More
19 May 2018 21:44 #59540 by lfan

Markiehoe wrote: Just to clarify:

"Straight man playing gay"
Was just the first example playing against type that popped into my head.

We have had straight actors play gay
Gay actors play straight
Men play woman
Women play men
We have had Trans people play against their gender identity
We have had white actors play other races and all the other races play all other races.

Sorry misunderstood and didn't see the "like" part. Didn't mean to pontificate....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
19 May 2018 23:15 - 19 May 2018 23:17 #59541 by kikass2014

This sounds like the logical next step in the show's social consciousness. A cute but complex lesbian couple at first, loving but wrong for each other. But gay relationships are passe now, and completely normalized in the eyes of most millennials, so on to the next thing that's still a bit edgy.

See, for me, this is where the show has got it wrong, and is heading in the wrong direction (ala the whole backlash during season 2).

Why not write an interesting female CHARACTER, who HAPPENS to be transgender? Why highlight that as, knowing Supergirl on the CW, a defining characteristic of the person?

Its like the showrunners aren't interested in writing good stories, or characters, but just playing politics. "Look at us, we are progressive, edgy and cool!". /facepalm

The whole Alex-is-a-lesbian thing, as an example, was dumb because it did NOT fit the character. It was virtue signalling/point scoring. There is no way you would say the character of Alex in season 1 harbored lesbian/homosexual feelings. The writers just chose to FUNDAMENTALLY change her character to score "political points"/push an agenda.

If I remember correctly, she and Jo'nn went on the run together at the end of season 1? Why not just carry on that trajectory and continue/develop that relationship (male/female, specifically black male/white female)? And didn't she have a pseudo-thing for Max Lord? That could have been an interesting relationship to develop. Law enforcing female attracted to a, kinda, bad man. Whats the correlating factor here? Oh, their both heterosexual relationships.

So instead, the writers were like "Nope, bin those arcs, shes a lesbian and this season (season 2) she is gonna have relationship problems dealing with it".

I take your point about Kirk and Uhura. Of course art mirrors life to some degree. But the thing with Kirk and Uhura's interracial kiss was that, these are the things we SHOULD be promoting in society. At a time when those things were frowned upon.

To me, this is one more step towards me ditching the show.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 19 May 2018 23:17 by kikass2014.

More
20 May 2018 00:57 #59542 by shadar

kikass2014 wrote:

See, for me, this is where the show has got it wrong, and is heading in the wrong direction (ala the whole backlash during season 2).

Why not write an interesting female CHARACTER, who HAPPENS to be transgender? Why highlight that as, knowing Supergirl on the CW, a defining characteristic of the person?

Its like the showrunners aren't interested in writing good stories, or characters, but just playing politics. "Look at us, we are progressive, edgy and cool!". /facepalm

The whole Alex-is-a-lesbian thing, as an example, was dumb because it did NOT fit the character. It was virtue signalling/point scoring. There is no way you would say the character of Alex in season 1 harbored lesbian/homosexual feelings. The writers just chose to FUNDAMENTALLY change her character to score "political points"/push an agenda.

If I remember correctly, she and Jo'nn went on the run together at the end of season 1? Why not just carry on that trajectory and continue/develop that relationship (male/female, specifically black male/white female)? And didn't she have a pseudo-thing for Max Lord? That could have been an interesting relationship to develop. Law enforcing female attracted to a, kinda, bad man. Whats the correlating factor here? Oh, their both heterosexual relationships.

So instead, the writers were like "Nope, bin those arcs, shes a lesbian and this season (season 2) she is gonna have relationship problems dealing with it".

I take your point about Kirk and Uhura. Of course art mirrors life to some degree. But the thing with Kirk and Uhura's interracial kiss was that, these are the things we SHOULD be promoting in society. At a time when those things were frowned upon.

To me, this is one more step towards me ditching the show.

Peace.

/K

I think the key takeaway is that this show is aimed at millennials, and including a transgender character will be appealing to them. Many of them feel that letting people explore and publically differentiate their sexuality should be promoted in society as a basic freedom. Millennials are the LEAST homophobic generation ever born.

I think this is a brilliant hook for their target audience.

If I find it interesting or informative or even just curious, I'll watch. I'm already chuckling over the thought of a transgender woman becoming the new Cat Grant, given Cat was very much cis female and an extremely strong feminist.

And anything that kicks James out of the job is welcome. His role is one of the worst bits of casting/writing I have ever seen.

Yet he was perfect at the beginning as a photog and mentor to Kara; a man with a special connection to Superman. He was Wisdom in an otherwise chaotic environment.

Be interesting to see if the new "Cat" is more authentic in the role of Cat Grant.

Shadar

• shadar
More
20 May 2018 10:00 #59546 by kikass2014

I think the key takeaway is that this show is aimed at millennials, and including a transgender character will be appealing to them. ...

Oh I totally understand that and agree thats what it is. That was the point I was trying to convey :) Imo though, good storytelling should always come first, ahead of appealing (especially preaching) to your audience.

And anything that kicks James out of the job is welcome. His role is one of the worst bits of casting/writing I have ever seen.

AHAHAHAHAHA :D

Fair point and totally agree with you Shadar :) I would go one further and have her LITERALLY kick his ass out the office lol :D

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds