Amount

Season 4 x 04 Ahimsa

05 Nov 2018 12:59 - 05 Nov 2018 13:01 #61883 by kikass2014
Season 4 x 04 Ahimsa was created by kikass2014
Well that wasn’t so bad tbh.

Imo a really well written episode, where several pieces came together.

We got our introduction to this universes Manchester Black.  And it was interesting to see that we got to see his development, rather than be introduced to the character and told it via flashback.

The Supergirl-in-a-suit lasted, as I figured it would, ONE episode by the looks of it.

I was VERY surprised to see the demise of Mercy and Otis so soon, and so cheaply.  I’m hoping this is a feint of some kind.  Seems strange to set them up and then dispose of them so soon.

Hoping Guardian won’t be making a return, as I thought they had written him out in a logical way, albeit a little contrived.  But still, no Guardian is better than any Guardian imo.

And I really enjoyed the short little tease of Red Supergirl, and how she had to be placed in protection (‘cause ofc kryptionite in the air would kill her also).  Was nice that it was acknowledged by the writers, which to me shows they are at least thinking of little things.

The politicking in the series seems to have taken a turn for the better. 

Imo, the last 2 episodes have been dialled WAY down from their usual level.  There are political undercurrents of course, but they are presented in a more balanced way, and also not beating you over the head.  Instead, they flow more within the story being told.

All-in-all, a good follow-up to last weeks.  I am really enjoying Sam Witwer’s performance, and the introduction of Manchester Black seems like an interesting take.

Looking forward to next weeks episode, which I believe is Kevin Smith’s one.

Well done Team Supergirl.  Heading in the right direction.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 05 Nov 2018 13:01 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ace191, Random321, theomach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Nov 2018 04:48 #61919 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Season 4 x 04 Ahimsa
A good summary kikass.  I am also really enjoying Sam Witwer's acting.  Enough so I'm even liking Agent Liberty more than I know I should.

I think the writing was better too.  I also don't understand the quick dispatch of Otis and Mercy other than when reflecting on the massive number of semi-sorta developed characters this show has and the desperate need to clean house and focus.

The Supergirl in a suit time did nothing for me as a fan of the character unlike my "hurray" I gave out in the first episode of the season when she was on a rescues roll.  However, the first time I watched this episode just as a comic fan it didn't seem forced or overused.  It wasn't until the second time when I was more actively thinking about MB's Broadway time and watching the one scene with Alex where the cuts were Alex talks to suit, cut to MB's face with UI overlay that it started to feel really weird.  I am still struggling to find a good reason why it had an "S" on it by default.

Does anyone else dislike the Alex character suddenly this season?  I didn't like her beat down on Brainey even if she did later recant (maybe apologize).  I didn't like her SG lecturing or to often "whoa is me" about the stresses of leadership and not stacking up.  However, she's right to be whoa is me, since, I've not enjoyed her leadership (lack of) style or approach at the DEO.

As a big fan of him I feel the need to say: so far Bruce Boxleitner is being horribly underutilized.

Teschmacher > Nal
Lucy Lane > Colonel Haley...   ...even if she is USMC
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
10 Nov 2018 13:29 #61924 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 4 x 04 Ahimsa
The problem with Alex is one that has been going on since season 2 imo.  The writers don't seem to know what to do with the character.

This is compounded by the fact that her main anchor (for lack of a better word), Jo'nn, is now in a more supporting capacity.

I remember a COMPLETELY different Alex Danvers in season 1, with her and Jo'nn having great chemistry, and what seemed like a deep history.

That went out the window season 2 onwards when she magically turned into a lesbian and Maggie entered the fray.

Since Maggie is now gone, and Jo'nn is not there all the time, Alex (apart from being Kara's sister, which is another issue imo) feels superfluous like a lot of the other characters.

I don't really mind the poor leadership she has demonstrated.  The writers are clearly showing her growing into the role and her development through that process.  Which is fine.  Its better then she comes in and is a better leader then Jo'nn.

I just don't feel thats what Alex should be like.  It should be her as Riker to Jo'nn's Picard so to speak.

Agree totally with Witwer's portrayal of Agent Liberty.  It is really good.  And its similar in vein to Jordan's Killmonger, or Brolin's depiction of Thanos.  You get the characters motivation, even if you feel its extreme or misplaced.  I look forward to seeing more of him.

With regards to Mercy and Otis, agree a culling needed to happen.  However, they could have avoided this by not adding Dreamer and Manchester Black into what already appears to be a packed season.  Red Supergirl was hinted at last season so had to be included.

I read somewhere that this season seems be structured in a series on "mini-arcs".  As the Mercy/Otis one ended, Manchester Black enters to kick of the next arc.  Which makes sense.  Will see how well that plays out, though I prefer a more season long story.  Having said that, perhaps 22/23 episodes is TOO long, and thus breaking it up like this, they can avoid Netflix Syndrome.  We'll see I guess.

But yeah, overall the last 2 episodes we very well written for sure.

Peace.

/K

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Nov 2018 23:46 #61934 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Season 4 x 04 Ahimsa

kikass2014 wrote: The problem with Alex is one that has been going on since season 2 imo.  The writers don't seem to know what to do with the character.

This is compounded by the fact that her main anchor (for lack of a better word), Jo'nn, is now in a more supporting capacity.

I remember a COMPLETELY different Alex Danvers in season 1, with her and Jo'nn having great chemistry, and what seemed like a deep history.

That went out the window season 2 onwards when she magically turned into a lesbian and Maggie entered the fray.

Since Maggie is now gone, and Jo'nn is not there all the time, Alex (apart from being Kara's sister, which is another issue imo) feels superfluous like a lot of the other characters.

I don't really mind the poor leadership she has demonstrated.  The writers are clearly showing her growing into the role and her development through that process.  Which is fine.  Its better then she comes in and is a better leader then Jo'nn.

I just don't feel thats what Alex should be like.  It should be her as Riker to Jo'nn's Picard so to speak.

/K

I second this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
11 Nov 2018 02:52 #61941 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 4 x 04 Ahimsa

kikass2014 wrote: The problem with Alex is one that has been going on since season 2 imo.  The writers don't seem to know what to do with the character.

Agree totally with Witwer's portrayal of Agent Liberty.  It is really good.  And its similar in vein to Jordan's Killmonger, or Brolin's depiction of Thanos.  You get the characters motivation, even if you feel its extreme or misplaced.  I look forward to seeing more of him.

With regards to Mercy and Otis, agree a culling needed to happen.  However, they could have avoided this by not adding Dreamer and Manchester Black into what already appears to be a packed season.  Red Supergirl was hinted at last season so had to be included.

I read somewhere that this season seems be structured in a series on "mini-arcs".  As the Mercy/Otis one ended, Manchester Black enters to kick of the next arc.  Which makes sense.  Will see how well that plays out, though I prefer a more season long story.  Having said that, perhaps 22/23 episodes is TOO long, and thus breaking it up like this, they can avoid Netflix Syndrome.  We'll see I guess.

But yeah, overall the last 2 episodes we very well written for sure.

Peace.

/K

As far as the Riker versus Picard thought, given the extreme sensitivity of Millennials regarding unrestricted roles for women, it was a given that Alex had to run the place eventually. I have no problem with that, as it is fairly predictable and mimics social thinking.  Millennials are the target audience for the show, so this makes perfect sense. 

What I hope the writers to exploit is the fact that the DEO is run by Alex and her adoptive sister is Supergirl. That's a REALLY powerful combination if they work together. A sister act. Especially if Alex's parents are still in play somehow. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
11 Nov 2018 10:57 - 11 Nov 2018 11:00 #61944 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 4 x 04 Ahimsa
Totally agree Shadar, it was a given Alex would end up leading the DEO.

But, if we continue the Riker/Picard comparison, Riker was more of a friend/partner to Picard, rather then a subordinate.  He represented the brash, gung-ho, youthfulness to Picard's older, wiser approach.  Which is kind of how they played that with Jo'nn and Alex in season 1.

As such, the problem I, and maybe others, feel, is that Alex should and could have been more, based on the depiction of the character in season 1.

There seems to be plot/character strands introduced that were discarded.  For example, I can imagine Jo'nn and Alex on covert missions and such.  Building that chemistry they shared during that season.

If I remember right, they both went rogue together at the end to search for Alex's father Jeremia.  Which is another strand that wasn't fully developed.

With the amount of characters now on the show, it was bound to happen that stuff would be lost in shuffle.  Alex appears to be one of them.

What I hope the writers to exploit is the fact that the DEO is run by Alex and her adoptive sister is Supergirl. That's a REALLY powerful combination if they work together. A sister act.

It is, but I feel that in itself is a problem.  What kind of dilemma can you possibly put Alex in, when Supergirl is your sister and thus family?

Hopefully they can build her into something more then just Kara's sister and DEO leader.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 11 Nov 2018 11:00 by kikass2014.

• kikass2014
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds