Amount

CW renews Supergirl for fifth season

01 Feb 2019 11:28 #62771 by five_red
CW renews Supergirl for fifth season was created by five_red
TVLine:  CW Renews Flash, Riverdale, Dynasty, Charmed, Supernatural Plus 5 Others 

Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning and Legends of Tomorrow all got renewals for 2019/20, It has already been announced that the November 2019 cross-over event will likely be based on Crisis on Infinite Earths, which many fans have speculated will unify the various CW cape universes and kill off Arrow, so it will be interesting to see how many episodes Arrow gets. Riverdale, Supernatural, and Charmed, also got renewals.

I also found out recently that CW's standard actor contract for series regulars is six years. After that, contracts have to be renegotiated. Given how much work Melissa has managed to squeeze in-between seasons on movies, tv mini-series, and Broadway, I think WB/CW will likely struggle to keep her after S6. Likewise David Harewood, who is a well known UK actor, will likely just want to just cash in the recognition the series has given him in with US audiences to go on to other things. So expect a renewal for season six too next year, but that will likely be the last.

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, fats, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2019 13:43 #62773 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic CW renews Supergirl for fifth season
No idea how any of those got renewed given the massive drop in quality in CW superhero shows but... At least we'll have more gifs of Melissa using powers I guess

More
01 Feb 2019 16:27 #62774 by Bert
Replied by Bert on topic CW renews Supergirl for fifth season
Now that a season 5 is coming for sure, perhaps some attention can be given to improving the show. I wrongly assumed they were just running out the clock this year to get enough episodes to syndicate. I truly hope someone with authority (are you listening, Berlanti?) steps in and rights the ship. Most of the best episodes of the series were from the first season, when I'd guess he was most involved. Come on Greg, improve the show.

More
01 Feb 2019 18:43 - 01 Feb 2019 18:47 #62775 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic CW renews Supergirl for fifth season

erikphandel wrote: No idea how any of those got renewed given the massive drop in quality in CW superhero shows but... At least we'll have more gifs of Melissa using powers I guess

Maybe because they have a reliable and loyal audience who draw advertisers?  A lot of people like the show. 

And don't forget that money talks, not story lines.

We here on the SWM tend to view the show critically because we're very much into the genre and its potential, but many (most?) viewers just want a comfy little story and a connection to the characters. They don't care if Kara shows off her powers in every episode or not. It's the inner story that keeps the series alive, at least IMHO, and in that regard, its no different than the old soaps, which had terrible writing but loyal audiences. My problem is that I don't like the inner story. 

Remember Smallville? Except for the first season, and a few later memorable moments with Lara V, the writing was horrible and the show was painful to watch given it rarely took advantage of the comic-inspired origin of the characters.. But it went for what? 10 seasons, I think? 

But when viewed from the eyes of CW and its bean counters, Supergirl is obviously a fine show. 

Shadar
Last edit: 01 Feb 2019 18:47 by shadar. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel, kikass2014, andyf

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
01 Feb 2019 22:00 - 01 Feb 2019 22:01 #62776 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic CW renews Supergirl for fifth season
None of these renewals are a surprise personally.

Supergirl was never going to be cancelled. Even if it had the lowest ratings out of the “cape” shows, which it doesn’t, that belongs to Legends, they still wouldn’t.  Not in this #metoo climate. This can possibly extend to Black Lightning.

Arrow is a goner. This is their last season, though according to fans, it should have stopped a while ago.  Their audience has gone up and down like a yo-yo. I don’t watch the show personally, but I’m thinking of checking it out. Even if its just to find out how Felicity draws so much ire, yet to me seems fine, albeit in small doses like the crossovers.

The Flash is their premiership show, still, I believe.  That was not going anywhere.

Legends is the lowest rated show, but has a large cult following.  Large enough to sustain it at least.  And tbh, its my favourite of the lot.  Just the right amount of gravitas and goofiness.  Never taking itself too serious, but seriously enough.

Same with Riverdale. That has a large following, generally (like most of these shows tbh) in a younger demo then most of us here.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 01 Feb 2019 22:01 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
01 Feb 2019 22:53 #62777 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic CW renews Supergirl for fifth season

kikass2014 wrote: None of these renewals are a surprise personally.

Supergirl was never going to be cancelled. Even if it had the lowest ratings out of the “cape” shows, which it doesn’t, that belongs to Legends, they still wouldn’t.  Not in this #metoo climate. This can possibly extend to Black Lightning.

Arrow is a goner. This is their last season, though according to fans, it should have stopped a while ago.  Their audience has gone up and down like a yo-yo. I don’t watch the show personally, but I’m thinking of checking it out. Even if its just to find out how Felicity draws so much ire, yet to me seems fine, albeit in small doses like the crossovers.

The Flash is their premiership show, still, I believe.  That was not going anywhere.

Legends is the lowest rated show, but has a large cult following.  Large enough to sustain it at least.  And tbh, its my favourite of the lot.  Just the right amount of gravitas and goofiness.  Never taking itself too serious, but seriously enough.

Same with Riverdale. That has a large following, generally (like most of these shows tbh) in a younger demo then most of us here.

Peace.

/K

I'd say it differently, K, but we agree on many points. However, I don't think #MeToo has anything to do with it. That's an effort to keep men from exploiting women, and punish those who do. Instead, I'd say Supergirl as a show echoes the memes of a younger generation in that women and men are no different in their power or influence. Or their ability to be corrupt or evil. This is very different than the times I grew up in, where men ran everything. The worst villains in movies and TV were almost always men. In Supergirl, the worst baddies and the ultimate heroes are women. That's a big change. It makes complete sense that a show named Supergirl would be the forum to explore that. 

Also, comics came into their own with we Boomers and X's. They went from silly rags for the kiddies to stories that adults could enjoy, and that happened when most of us were young. So we feel fiercely protective of characters we have understood for decades. That we grew up with. Younger folks don't have nearly as much invested in the characters and simply enjoy a story that feels comfy, even if it makes little sense from a comic book perspective. 

The trick is to keep some good writing around, and I'm looking at Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Hulu, Apple, SciFi, etc. etc. to do that. The surge in streaming-oriented productions still has a long ways to build with a huge number of interesting projects under way. I've almost completely weened myself off advertiser-paid broadcast TV (well, except for sports). 

There are a lot of incredibly talented writers out there. But they get to be selective about where they work and what kind of stories they wish to tell. I'm optimistic that we're at the beginning of a huge renaissance in well-written shows and movies. 

Just don't look for them on CW or its ilk.

Shadar

The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

• shadar
More
02 Feb 2019 00:25 #62778 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic CW renews Supergirl for fifth season

five_red wrote: TVLine:  CW Renews Flash, Riverdale, Dynasty, Charmed, Supernatural Plus 5 Others 

Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning and Legends of Tomorrow all got renewals for 2019/20, It has already been announced that the November 2019 cross-over event will likely be based on Crisis on Infinite Earths, which many fans have speculated will unify the various CW cape universes and kill off Arrow, so it will be interesting to see how many episodes Arrow gets. Riverdale, Supernatural, and Charmed, also got renewals.

R5

i love how in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, Barry and Kara are the ones who die and the tv retelling they’ll be the ones who live.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
04 Feb 2019 15:24 #62806 by elnovo1234
Replied by elnovo1234 on topic CW renews Supergirl for fifth season
Well is good to hear supergirl will have a season 5 but lets be honest this season plot is boring boring with the inmigration thing the should stick to the red daughter and i hope the next season we dont get another kriptonian villain again.

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds