Amount

Supersenses

10 May 2005 13:12 #1102 by conceptfan
Supersenses was created by conceptfan
Not the most obvious aspect of a supergirl's powers, but worth a mention, I think.

True, I guess there aren't too many of us who think of enhanced eyesight/hearing etc. as a major turn-on. However, I believe they're a key part of the package.

For starters, there's the whole business of the character possessing a range of abilities far in excess of us, the "ordinaries". That in itself re-inforces the "super" or rather "superior" or "uber" concept. Something that's impossible for us (e.g. spotting a man who's ten miles away on a dark night) is easy for her.

There's another level to it, as well. How can you hide from someone who can see through walls, hear your heartbeat fifty yards away through concrete and smell your fear from the same distance? You just don't have a chance. It gives an air of total superiority and unbeatability to a fantasy character who's already superior and unbeatable.

Also, the ubergirl can use those senses to see the "private" effect of her overwhelming sex-appeal. She can hear the increased heartrate and rapid breathing and she can detect the note of stimulation in a man's perspiration. In a way, I think that gives her power even over a man's inner thoughts.

Another side of it is that her increased sensitivity allows her to enjoy things like the taste of food far more than the rest of us, giving her a further layer of superiority.

So, I'm saying that whether she's a good or a bad girl, supersenses help make her on one level even more super than before. On another level, they're what make her the ultimate huntress from whom there is simply no escape.

I'd love to read other forumers' thoughts on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• conceptfan
  • conceptfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Jul 2005 23:59 #1728 by Supergeek
Replied by Supergeek on topic Re: Supersenses
She may not want those supersenses if she gets sprayed by a skunk.

More
11 Jul 2005 09:58 #1733 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: Supersenses

She may not want those supersenses if she gets sprayed by a skunk.

I always assume that "super" implies an enhanced degree of control too... A supergirl can hold something delicate in the same hand that can crush steel. The same must apply to her senses: She can tune in and out at will. So she can see in near-complete darkness, but isn't dazzled by even the brightest light. She can hear a pin drop at a hundred yards, but a loud noise next to her ear causes her no problems. So, she can "tune in" to the smell of, say, a man a mile away, whilst at the same time "tuning out" the stench of the skunk at her feet. That's how I see it, anyway.

• conceptfan
  • conceptfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Jul 2005 15:15 #1736 by happiest_in_shadows
Replied by happiest_in_shadows on topic Re: Supersenses
I have to agree that a super human level of control of some of her senses is necessary for the story. As well as a super human level of motor controls. As while I could still see a super fem lacking enhanced eye sight, hearing, taste or smell. I would hate to see a super fem who don’t have her since of touch improved. After all if it wasn’t I imagine she would have a very hard time interacting with the world around her. Especially those super fems that exceed the 2,000x human level. They would end up destroying everything they tried to touch.

• happiest_in_shadows
More
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds