Amount

WW is Bisexual

29 Sep 2016 19:33 #50489 by fats
WW is Bisexual was created by fats
Hi all,

In a move that would never have occurred when they created her in the 1940s, DC Comics has declared that their most acclaimed heroine is attracted to both men and women. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Wonder Woman is officially bisexual.

more here

www.maxim.com/entertainment/dc-comics-wo...oman-bisexual-2016-9

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Sep 2016 20:03 #50491 by castor
Replied by castor on topic WW is Bisexual

fats wrote: Hi all,

In a move that would never have occurred when they created her in the 1940s, DC Comics has declared that their most acclaimed heroine is attracted to both men and women. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Wonder Woman is officially bisexual.

more here

www.maxim.com/entertainment/dc-comics-wo...oman-bisexual-2016-9

Fats

I donno. Anyone who has fimilarity with the life of William Marston who partially based Amazons on his polyamorious relationship with two women could suggest that maybe this was an idea somewhere.

More
29 Sep 2016 20:22 #50492 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic WW is Bisexual
Well this doesn't surprise me that much. WW grew up in a single gendered society, which means that from her point of view the gender is not among the elements that define a person (a mjor source of misunderstandings with her mother in my eyes).
Already some previous authors had stated that from her perspective beauty and sexual attraction aren't linked to gender because, as an amazon, she's used to see the beauty in others regardless.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Sep 2016 21:16 #50493 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic WW is Bisexual
We are still talking about a magically animated mass of clay, right? The proto-mythological equivalent of an android, yes?

More
29 Sep 2016 21:43 - 29 Sep 2016 21:48 #50494 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic WW is Bisexual

AuGoose wrote: We are still talking about a magically animated mass of clay, right? The proto-mythological equivalent of an android, yes?

So, WW is a magically animated mass of clay? Something like this?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 29 Sep 2016 21:48 by LustMonster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
29 Sep 2016 21:58 #50495 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic WW is Bisexual
The article title is misleading. (I'll make it clear, I'm 100% behind this interpretation.)

DC Comics didn't say this, Greg Rucka the writer currently in charge of WW said it, and he never indicated he's speaking for DC.

Of note, this has (yet) to make it into an actual WW Comic. The closest we get is in the linked through interview has pages from the comic, and in one panel, two characters gossip about who she might have been with. It's obvious ... neither knows .. and both find her gobsmackingly attractive. She accepts a kiss on the cheek, after an intimate conversation (non-sexually intimate). Sprinkle in a double entendre in a fight scene. She's familiar with characters in a close way. It's all there on the page if you integrate it, Rucka is showing his intent ...but there isn't anything solid to point to. Rucka even admits that he doesn't like doing that.

It's telling those pages are now 2+ old... and it wasn't a big to do. I did find a Bleeding Cool article pondering if that's what the panels meant. Absent Rucka's statements, there wasn't enough to KNOW. And that means, by canon, or "DC says", there still isn't....

www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/13/is-this-...me-sex-relationship/

But Rucka pretty much said he hates characters blurting out "i'm gay!" and that Amazons wouldn't even think to say that anyway.

That said, this comes under the heading of "duh. Of course she is." She grew up on an island of 100% women...

This isn't even the first time creative teams working on the book have said so. (Though to be fair I think most said it after they've left the book, I'd have to go looking to see if a CURRENT writer said it.)

More
29 Sep 2016 22:44 #50496 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic WW is Bisexual

That said, this comes under the heading of "duh. Of course she is." She grew up on an island of 100% women...

Yup. This is exactly what I thought.

[WW is Bisexual]...and that Amazons wouldn't even think to say that anyway.

And this.

Peace.

/K

More
30 Sep 2016 00:56 #50499 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic WW is Bisexual
Given that the rest of the Amazons must be either lesbian or asexual, this rather obvious conclusion (given Steve Trevor and all) must be scandalous to the Amazons. Of course she is.

I also remember issues where the other Amazons had strong negative feelings about men. To cavort with one, especially sexually, would be all kinds of bad. All good Amazons are lesbians.

But Diana is royalty, and the ambassador to man's world, so she gets to be different.

Why this is suddenly news is just a reflection of the culture war. The websites that rate movies from the perspective of conservative Christianity will probably give the movie a "don't see" rating. Talk of false gods and homosexuality and all that.

As far as the rest of us go... Yawn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 Sep 2016 09:42 #50505 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic WW is Bisexual

Why this is suddenly news is just a reflection of the culture war...

...As far as the rest of us go... Yawn

LOL totally, 100%, agree :D

Couldn't have said it better myself Shadar :)

Peace.

/K

More
30 Sep 2016 12:20 #50508 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic WW is Bisexual
When I became old enough to figure out what was going on I always viewed Wonder Woman as a heterosexual woman in a land of Lesbians.
She falls in love with the first man she sees because that is the way she is.
She leaves the land of the Amazons to go live in the land of men because she is attracted to men.

At least that is the way I saw it.

Pretty neat analogy to closeted gay people living in a straight world.

More
30 Sep 2016 15:03 #50511 by castor
Replied by castor on topic WW is Bisexual
A lot of this is how you write the story.

In the original 40s version Diana was a kinda of Shy Naive Girl who sees a handsome Steeve Trevor who is badly wounded and falls in love with him tending to his wounds-its a kind of Classic Florence Nightingale story. Wonder Woman is very much her trying to to be with him. The Sexuality of the Island as a whole is there but not at issue, but its clear that its not she is a lesbian or anything, but she is very much *inexpereiced*. Shes Young and doesn't know such things. That her power comes from her Virginity is pretty explict.

More recent versions either downplay or remove the Romance angle-This reached its height in the early 2000s. Steeve Trevor in some comics is just her friend who is in some versions kinda like a father figure to her. Instead she does have rommances with other characters depending on the needs of the story, often kinda going for Batman(in the justice leauge show and a touch of a suggestion in BvS movie) or these days in the comics Superman. Shes also much more experienced- already the effective wise leader of Themelscarya) and also Ageless and centuries if not millenia old. She knows whats going on and has been.

(that the people of Themelyscara have been lesbians has been around either textually or very subtextually present since the 80s).

How naturally agressive she is also something that changes a lot-sometimes shes a warrior who fights with swords at the sight of injustice sometimes shes more "lets talk aboutall this and work it out"

There have been several versions that are somewhere in between this-the Animated Movie felt it was trying to Rewrite it as a more traditional first the hate each other then loved each other rommance, while thelive action movie is somewhat presenting it faithfully-but its tricky. Wonder Woman is a tricky character to write well, But Steeve Trevor is in someways harder.

I for my part kinda of like the idea that Wonder Woman works best when shes a perfect but kinda if not dumb, not very streetsmart. Its a metaphor of the Perfect getting in the way of good. Buts its how you do it. As for her Sexuality its what it is .

More
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds