Amount

Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?

19 Oct 2016 22:46 #50784 by fats
Hi all,

I'm posting this question outside the SG section of the site.

Is anyone watching SG season 2?

2 episodes down and there is hardly any activity in the section so, I was wondering if people have given up on the show and if so why?

Please post your comments here.

Fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Oct 2016 23:23 #50785 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I have watched both episodes and enjoyed them immensely!
I usually comment a day or so after to allow DVR viewings to catch up.

I avoid all spoilers as best as possible so I stay away from the dedicated Supergirl threads.
Members seem to enjoy tracking down every scrap of information about Supergirl and post away willy nilly.
Sometimes they say SPOILERS and sometimes they don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

More
19 Oct 2016 23:24 #50786 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I haven't seen the second episode yet.

I really enjoyed Episode 1. Non-spoilerly comments (based on thing from promos and were widely known and talked about):

I thought the addition of Superman/Clark would out shadow Supergirl. This was not the case, and the interaction between the two is the highlight of the episode. (And most reactions I've seen say similar things, Superman was done pretty well.)

The episode does a good job of saying "THIS is the new state of Supergirl". They set up things for the season, re-arrange some characters, and define the status of some relationships. It's (naturally) not as rushed as the pilot episode which had to do a lot more. I think the pacing is good. Some of this is just "Take it as how things are". (For example, Clark/Kara seem a LOT closer than they did in S1.)

There are still some excessive comic book physics problems -- but honestly, it's a show about a super-strong woman from another planet who flies and fires energy beams from her eyes. I mostly just ignore these problems and focus on the rest of the show. During the worst of one of them, my focus was on Superman's reaction to seeing her out saving the day.

There was a bit of repetion "Let's save the plane!" -- like we've been here before. OTH, I'm pretty sure in the comics Superman/Supergirl get called on to do repeat saves all the time (bank robbers, cats in trees, same bad guy, etc).

The effects have not suffered by going to CW -- some of them seem better.

I think the opening episode was better than the average episode in S1, and probably ranks as one of the best so far. But I'm saying that as I really liked the Clark/Kara interaction and the Kara/Cat Grant relationship in this episode. I guess I'm getting old, as the non-action parts of the show are my favorites. (The action was ok too.)

My TL;DR is I am cautiously optimistic and think the season is off to a good start. Hopefully, they'll continue to build from here.

(I can update this after I watch S2E02, but that is probably tomorrow night.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats, Markiehoe

More
20 Oct 2016 02:14 #50787 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I'm watching it. at some point it may turn into a show i tape and collect-which happened a bit towards the latter half of the season last year.

That said-i am not sure its the kind of show that every week i write long blog posts about. Its not that kind of show-its not lost or even to an extent the Flash where theres a grand mystery going on and i like how there building up some intresting stories, villians and rommances-its not totally that.

i am not totally sure it justifes having its own section on the site-becuse yeah thats the show.

I got to say by the far the best momment of the last episode was Superman Reflecting on the stupidity of thugs, which i wish we got more with last year with her...but i don't totally blaim that on the show. I like his kind of bemused superman. and i am looking forward to probabbly latter in the season when we see more of him(i am calling it now-last half of the season he gets captured, Supergirl has to rescue him)

(actually got to say based on two episodes if they ever get him his own show or like a justice elauge show-ehhh it could be fine. its kind of devoloping into a better performan then then Henry Cavil[actually i could see them doing a justice leauge stuff next year])

More
20 Oct 2016 07:10 #50788 by McVee
Replied by McVee on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I will watch when it starts to show in the UK. First episode is on Monday I think.

More
20 Oct 2016 10:54 - 20 Oct 2016 18:15 #50792 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I stopped watching Supergirl half way through the first season, because I did not enjoy the fact she always seemed to get her butt kicked in every fight, and needed to be saved.

I plan to start watching the second series when it airs in the UK, in the hope she is potrayed more as a hero rather than a damsel in distress.

I will say I desperately want to like this show, and want it to be a success. I bought the season 1 dvd, even though it's still in the cellophane wrapper just because I wanted to show support for a female led superhero shows.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2016 18:15 by dauntingmold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Wotan45, fats, SCOTT R

More
20 Oct 2016 12:18 #50793 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I'm with Markiehoe. Watched both episodes and enjoyed them totally :D

I also avoid reading spoilers ahead of the episode that is aired (and I don't even read [non-superwomenmania.com] reviews after the episode has aired tbh, just not interested :P ).

I do try and write my view on the episode that has aired, but sometimes I just don't have a lot to say (and I generally try to avoid writing the "watched it, loved it"-only style of reviews).

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, fats, SCOTT R, Markiehoe

More
20 Oct 2016 16:11 #50799 by Bernard72002
Replied by Bernard72002 on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I'm watching it. Episode 2 I missed 1/2 of it.
It is great having Supergirl back on even though it has undergone some changes and the addition of having Superman backing her up.

More
20 Oct 2016 16:21 #50800 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I'm always waiting a couple of episodes into the season so I can watch several episodes back-to-back. First season was so-so, also hate that she seemingly always gets her butt kicked. Moreover, I just can't get over Melissa Benoist. Utter miscast, in my opinion, especially when compared to the likes of Laura Vandervoort or Charlize Theron (and yes, I do realize that the former is too old the latter is way too old for the character).

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2016 19:55 - 20 Oct 2016 20:00 #50805 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?

rebel4life wrote: I'm always waiting a couple of episodes into the season so I can watch several episodes back-to-back. First season was so-so, also hate that she seemingly always gets her butt kicked. Moreover, I just can't get over Melissa Benoist. Utter miscast, in my opinion, especially when compared to the likes of Laura Vandervoort or Charlize Theron (and yes, I do realize that the former is too old the latter is way too old for the character).

I get you when seeing what you say as Melissa as Supergirl. She plays a great kind-of-dorky Kara at work (apart from ep. Falling, where she was just WOW!) I had a look at potential castings for SG and the only one that stood out for me was Leven Rambin (go google).
Last edit: 20 Oct 2016 20:00 by Monty.

More
20 Oct 2016 20:07 #50806 by Monty
Yup!... Too late now tho, Mel B it is for SG.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
20 Oct 2016 20:48 #50807 by fats
Gemma may have the looks but her acting skills leave a lot to be desired, look on YouTube for clips of her on a programme called Hollyoaks and you will see what I mean.

Fats

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Oct 2016 21:01 #50809 by Monty
Hi Fats, yes I dropped Gemma A from the post in an earlier edit. I think it was just tabloid tattle about Gemma as Supergirl back in the day.

More
20 Oct 2016 22:43 #50811 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
Episode 1 and 2 were a bit of an improvement over a typical season 1 episode in terms of writing. Production values look to be just as good as season 1 as well.
However, it is a bit annoying how National City looks exactly like Star City and Central City now.

More
25 Oct 2016 03:56 #50863 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
Boy, more and more I think that the move to the cw was a very good one. Another nice episode.

More
25 Oct 2016 14:36 #50864 by kikass2014
^ Agree. Loved the episode (3) and look forward to the direction the season is taking so far :)

Peace.

/K

More
25 Oct 2016 15:02 #50866 by lfan
I wasn't one to throw Season 1 under the bus as much as some around here, but I have to say that Season 2 is much better so far than Season 1. The new cast (Snapper, Maggie, Lena) combined with the semi-reboot on Wynn and Jimmy are much more interesting IMO than the love quadrilateral-centric storylines from season 1. Though episode 3 seemed very much like a DC-slant of the Mutant Registration Act, I like where its heading
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
25 Oct 2016 23:07 #50871 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
I've only watched two episodes so far, but my impression is that the show is finding its own dimension as a superhero show.
with hindsight I think that season one tried way too hard to appeal to the female part of the audience, focusing on plot elements like Kara's love life and her female empoerment. The result was a show that looked like a female empowerment show dressed like a superhero show. So far this second season seem to be going in the opposite direction: it's a superhero show that has an element of female empowerment.
More importantly it seem that the authors have worked out the "right dimension" to fit these stories alongside the rest of their line-up: Arrow is about street crimefighters and secret societies, flash is about metahumans and parallel worlds, Legends of Tomorrow is about time travels and Supergirl is about aliens. I think that this is a good working plan because it prevents the craziness of having too many origins and convulted background and give each show a well defined identity.

More
26 Oct 2016 00:02 #50872 by ace191
Two more things with slight spoilers. One, I love the new bar. Two, it looks like SG may have a new super boyfriend. I am sure
The writers will have a ball with that one.

More
26 Oct 2016 02:17 #50875 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?
OK, they already did my least favorite story type with the "Good girl goes bad" last season.

Looks like this season they are going to tackle my second least favorite story line. "Good girl likes Bad boy."

Yeesh.

More
26 Oct 2016 10:34 #50879 by kikass2014
^ lol fair point. And can't help but agree with you.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
27 Oct 2016 01:37 #50897 by ace191
Yes, but like the Flash he is cute and my wife likes him so I would bet other gals will towhich helps ratings

More
27 Oct 2016 02:57 #50903 by Raa
Jesse Quick is not bad on the eyes either, in or out of custom.

More
30 Oct 2016 16:07 #50950 by YAGS
First season, I kept watching and hoping this mediocre show would turn into something worthwhile. Then, the final 3 episodes came along and the show got MUCH worse. That's when I gave up on it.

But after the summer break, and knowing the show was switching networks and would probably change significantly, I let my curiosity get the best of me. So I've been watching.

And honestly, I think it's a better show this year than last year. Still not fantastic. But clearly better. So I'll stick around. But I'm done obsessing and posting about it here constantly.

More
30 Oct 2016 18:45 #50956 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Is anyone watching Season 2 of Supergirl?

YAGS wrote: First season, I kept watching and hoping this mediocre show would turn into something worthwhile. Then, the final 3 episodes came along and the show got MUCH worse. That's when I gave up on it.

But after the summer break, and knowing the show was switching networks and would probably change significantly, I let my curiosity get the best of me. So I've been watching.

And honestly, I think it's a better show this year than last year. Still not fantastic. But clearly better. So I'll stick around. But I'm done obsessing and posting about it here constantly.

I understand where you are coming from, YAGS. I consider it the weakest show that I watch, but the subject matter is mildly amusing. What really surprised me, after writing about SG type characters for decades, was that the show was barely interesting.

I was expecting I'd be a big fan. But the show quickly reminded me why I consider 95% of what's on TV to be unwatchable galley swag.

What really hurts is to imagine how HBO or Netflix or even STARZ would have handled it. A bit of in-your-face GOT, a bit of dark Jessica Jones, a bit of upbeat but dramatic Outlander, combined with a comic-book inspired portrayal of SG that wasn't aimed at children, and it could have been totally awesome.

So, after 50 years of being a fan of SG, things have not really changed. In live-action media, Smallville gets my top honors, the 1984 movie comes in a distant second, and the TV show comes in third.

As has always been the case, If we want interesting stories about her, we have to write them ourselves. I guess at one level that's comforting. But I'd hoped for more than a show that floated on the top of a sea of galley swag.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds