Amount

Wonder Woman causes furor at the UN

21 Oct 2016 17:33 #50821 by shadar
Wonder Woman causes furor at the UN was created by shadar
In the quasi-reality world of the UN, Wonder Woman was recently named the Ambassador for Women's Empowerment.

But now 600 countries have pushed back, signing a recall petition because:

“a large-breasted white woman of impossible proportions, scantily clad in a shimmery, thigh-baring body suit with an American flag motif and knee-high boots” is not an appropriate spokeswoman for gender equity at the United Nations.

What does it all mean?

Here's the link:
www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/world/america....html?ref=world&_r=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
21 Oct 2016 18:33 #50824 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Wonder Woman causes furor at the UN

shadar wrote: In the quasi-reality world of the UN, Wonder Woman was recently named the Ambassador for Women's Empowerment.

“a large-breasted white woman of impossible proportions, scantily clad in a shimmery, thigh-baring body suit with an American flag motif and knee-high boots” is not an appropriate spokeswoman for gender equity at the United Nations.

What does it all mean?

Here's the link:

Aside from the fact that it's 600 representatives, not 600 countries (there aren't that many countries in the world) -- pardon the nitpick -- I consider this a pretty good example of "trash journalism" and misinformation. While I can see the logic behind this petition the part of me that is a literary and comic book nerd asks: "Is it really that wrong to use a character created to promove female empowerment as a symbol of gender equality?"

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
21 Oct 2016 21:53 #50827 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Wonder Woman causes furor at the UN

Woodclaw wrote:

shadar wrote: In the quasi-reality world of the UN, Wonder Woman was recently named the Ambassador for Women's Empowerment.

What does it all mean?

Here's the link:

Aside from the fact that it's 600 representatives, not 600 countries (there aren't that many countries in the world) -- pardon the nitpick -- I consider this a pretty good example of "trash journalism" and misinformation. While I can see the logic behind this petition the part of me that is a literary and comic book nerd asks: "Is it really that wrong to use a character created to promove female empowerment as a symbol of gender equality?"

It can't be 600 representatives either, given there is only one Representative per country and a total of 193 member countries. So this has to include staff positions and perhaps employees of the UN and so forth.

What would be interesting is to know how many Representatives (countries) are protesting. I haven't been able to find that list.

As far as the total number of people who work at the UN, I found information on the US Mission to the UN, and we have 150 people on staff there. That may be high given we're the host country, but given there are 193 countries, it tells me that one hell of a lot of people work there. If those 600 petition signers come from all the ranks at the UN, then it's a small percentage and may mean nothing.

It just caught my eye as a possibly disturbing trend given her movie is coming out.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2016 00:09 #50873 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Wonder Woman causes furor at the UN
In the Ham radio world, you can get the "worked all countries" award after you have made contact with 325.

More
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds