Amount

R.I.P. Adam West

10 Jun 2017 16:58 #54647 by Markiehoe
R.I.P. Adam West was created by Markiehoe
To say the Batman TV show from the 60s changed my life would be an understatement.

Batgirl just might be the first live action Superheroine I ever saw.
And Julie Newmar's Catwoman made me feel all funny inside.

And to think this lucky guy got to play along side these women.

Batman has passed on.

The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Jun 2017 17:22 #54649 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic R.I.P. Adam West
Julie Newmar was always a fantastic actress/model for a superheroine. One of the best given she really got into the roles.

A ballerina turned actress, she had the super-toned body to look the part and she knew how to move in ways other women couldn't. My perceptions of the dynamics of movement of a superhuman were shaped by her.

www.metv.com/stories/julie-newmar-looks-...ese-vintage-pictures

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, andyf

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
10 Jun 2017 18:18 #54650 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic R.I.P. Adam West
didn't hurt that at 5'11", Julie towered over most men, especially in heels
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
10 Jun 2017 19:23 - 10 Jun 2017 19:25 #54651 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic R.I.P. Adam West
More on topic. Adam West had an interesting and full life.

Early on, he lived in Hawaii and was married to a Tahitian woman named Frisbee. (Before the toy was invented.) He had some very good years living on the islands, surfing every day, married to a Polynesian woman and raising a couple of kids with her.

He was living the dream.

Here are picts from the time:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 10 Jun 2017 19:25 by shadar.

• shadar
More
10 Jun 2017 20:23 #54656 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic R.I.P. Adam West
For me there's one thing in which I consider Adam West a great man: he was able to make a career out of being the butt of the joke and he did it with class.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Jun 2017 01:29 #54664 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic R.I.P. Adam West
Agreed. His ability to laugh at himself put him above a lot of "serious" actors. His voice work on Family Guy alone illustrated this.

More
11 Jun 2017 02:52 #54665 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic R.I.P. Adam West
I remember when I first saw him on Bewitched. He was a very handsome guy. I did not know he was a fellow longboard sufer. Loved how he slowed down his delivery of his lines on Batman so that he could get more camera time.

More
11 Jun 2017 11:49 #54671 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic R.I.P. Adam West

For me there's one thing in which I consider Adam West a great man: he was able to make a career out of being the butt of the joke and he did it with class.

This above all else. Sheer class.

Thanks for the memories Mr West.

Peace.

/K

More
11 Jun 2017 13:20 #54672 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic R.I.P. Adam West
Very sad to hear of West's passing. His pitch-perfect comedic interpretation reached across generations, uniting fans of all ages in a way that has never been possible with other 'Batmans'. It is still as watchable today as it was in the 1960s.

All it takes to realise how lucky Greenway/Fox were to cast West is to look at the other shows that sprang up in Batman's wake. Mr. Terrific, to take just one example, demonstrates that sticking a guy in a crazy outfit and giving him zany dialogue doesn't guarantee a good show. West knew how to get the most comedic value out of each line, while resisting the temptation to play it for out-n-out laughs -- and that's why his Batman is still considered a classic in 60s tv.

If you've ever seen footage of West at conventions, particularly interacting with younger fans, you'll know that West was a pretty funny guy even without a script -- he often fell back on a lot of familiar jokes and anecdotes (Julie Newmar/Yvonne Craig "...gave me strange stirrings in my utility belt"), but fans never ever tired of hearing them because they were delivered so well. Sadly, in terms of his on-screen performances, West needed witty scripts to demonstrate his droll style best, and the numerous pilots and shows he appeared in after Batman didn't always give him that. It wasn't until Family Guy that I think a show got the most out of him.

So far the 60s Batman has lasted 50+ years with a loyal fan-base intact, and even DC/WB have now stopped trying to bury the campy show and are embracing it. I expect various other Batman interpretations will fade in and out of fashion in years to come, but I'm confident that West's Batman will endure, simply because fans can watch his Batman with their children, and their grandchildren, and their great grandchildren...

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, TwiceOnThursdays, Monty, LustMonster

More
15 Jun 2017 18:50 #54816 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic R.I.P. Adam West
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, slim36, AuGoose

More
15 Jun 2017 19:38 #54817 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic R.I.P. Adam West
Wow. that's quite charming :).

More
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds