Amount

Am interesting story I read today

31 Oct 2017 01:54 #56811 by Dru1076
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, SHTL, Raa, SCOTT R, Agent00Soul, RD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dru1076
  • Dru1076's Avatar Topic Author
More
31 Oct 2017 07:42 #56813 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Am interesting story I read today

Dru1076 wrote: Some interesting points made here:

www.bbc.com/future/story/20171027-what-i...ly-stronger-than-men

The problem with the article is that the author rejects the "Jessica Jones" concept -- that women could become stronger than men without becoming larger boned and more muscular, taller, more physically imposing, etc.

While that appeals to some SWM members, many of us like the "Jessica Jones" or "Supergirl" approach to power, which implies no change in physical size but a huge change in physical power of the bulletproof variety.

Clearly, you have to stay within comic book science to create this last scenario, which this article doesn't address because it's not "biologically possible". In other words, scientists don't and won't bother writing about something so silly.

Which leaves it up to us.

In my view, if a small group of beautiful Kryptonian women (or Velorians!) wound up on Earth, the implications of interacting with people who had near god-like powers (and thus not controllable) would likely be extreme, especially if they immersed themselves into human affairs and conflicts.

Given they are vastly superhuman, I've always believed that many people would view them through a religious/mythological lens, not a human lens. Yet in others, they would excite the worst kinds of xenophobia. And in between, there would be an extreme version of celebrity worship.

Far from being accepted into society, such superhumans would draw every kind of extreme reaction out of people. Which would make it challenging for them to find men (or women) they could work with. That's why (to me at least) I like to tell stories of the men who can handle working next to a superhuman, who aren't afraid of them and don't melt down out of submissiveness or intimidation. Who add value to their work. Someone who sees their extreme potential as superhumans (and also as desirable women) and wants to help them influence our world for the better.

Stopping a war? Absolutely. But how without simply steering the conflict down different paths. And so forth.

Such men would live interesting lives and are provide good eyes for viewing what a superwoman could become while living among normal people.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, Ravens_ghost, jay_manus

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
31 Oct 2017 22:56 - 31 Oct 2017 23:08 #56824 by Mynn
Replied by Mynn on topic Am interesting story I read today

The problem with the article is that the author rejects the "Jessica Jones" concept -- that women could become stronger than men without becoming larger boned and more muscular, taller, more physically imposing, etc.

Darling, I don't think the author was unreasonable for excluding female supers, mutants and deities in the of the article. Because, if you did include them, you'd also have to include the male counterparts as well and there's just way too many combination and ranges of powers to make any points. I think she was comparing apples to apples. Mmm.. melons to melons? Mmmmmmm.

Though people from my planet would probably be excluded anyhow as we're all females. ;)

It would be quite fun seeing a gene in human females suddenly activate some sort of physical power that would shift the dynamic on Earth. But I actually agree, I don't think human women can pull off that power dynamic without getting physically bigger and more muscular by human means. Don't quote me on it, I don't follow science, let alone conform to it. :evil:
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 23:08 by Mynn.

• Mynn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Nov 2017 03:05 #56828 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Am interesting story I read today
Interesting article. From the title, I thought it was yet another review of "The Power" by Naomi Alderman lol

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds