Amount

Our friends in the Philippines

27 Dec 2017 14:01 - 27 Dec 2017 15:40 #57875 by five_red
Our friends in the Philippines was created by five_red
I wanted to start an open discussion topic about fandom around the world, and why different groups don't always interact. The discussion is prompted by the reaction to the handful of videos I've been putting up on YouTube over the last six months -- specifically the videos featuring pinoy characters. So, I'll start with the hard facts, and then open it out into a question that invites comment.

Here's a breakdown of the two western superheroine videos I've put up thus far. I've included the time they've been up, the approximate number of views, plus the thumbs up / down scores.

Kara transforms into Supergirl (5 months) : 13,000 / 84 / 3
Black Scorpion transformations (4½ months) : 5,000 / 12 / 0

Now consider the two Filipino videos I've put up, both relating to the show Super Ma'am:

Super Ma'am transformations (2 months) : 254,000 / 372 / 108
Super Ma'am in action (1½ months) : 141,000 / 257 / 55

[EDIT: just to clarify -- YT analytics reveals that the traffic is overwhelmingly coming from the Philippines, and indeed some of those visitors are going on to subscribe (600+ subscribers) and watch/thumb the Supergirl video, meaning that the SG numbers owe a fair bit to Filipino viewers too.]

As you can see, there's a little bit of a difference between the two sets of videos. It would be tempting to write the Super Ma'am numbers off as being due to it currently airing on tv -- but Supergirl is also a currently airing show. And (!)... Supergirl is broadcast to a potentially much bigger global audience.

Super Ma'am, of course, airs daily on a mainstream network, while Supergirl airs weekly on a cable channel. So no doubt that explains some of the difference -- but actually it invites a much bigger question: why does Super Ma'am air on a mainstream network, while Supergirl airs on cable networks..? Well, we all know the answer to that -- Filipinos love love love their 'komiks'. Particularly superheroines..!!!

Which, in turn, invites another question: why aren't there many (any?) correspondents from the Philippines on this board..? Or indeed on any of the popular haunts where superheroine fans hang out..?

Where are they?

There is the language difference, of course, but (as anyone who has tried to watch their tv shows and movies will know) the Tagalog language mixes in influences from many languages, including Spanish and English. Quite often during Super Ma'am, for example, the dialogue will suddenly break into English for short bursts, and fragments of English (not just single words) are interlaced throughout each episode.

Do superheroine fans live in silos..? Are we in fact not one online community, but several self-contained communities that barely interact with each other..? If so, can be break down those barriers..?

R5
Last edit: 27 Dec 2017 15:40 by five_red. Reason: Clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
27 Dec 2017 15:23 #57876 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic Our friends in the Philippines

five_red wrote: Super Ma'am, of course, airs daily on a mainstream network, while Supergirl airs weekly on a cable channel. So no doubt that explains some of the difference -- but actually it invites a much bigger question: why does Super Ma'am air on a mainstream network, while Supergirl airs on cable networks..?

For the record, The CW is not a cable channel. It may be that in your area, you are only able to see the show on cable because many CW affiliates are smaller and lower-power than some of their broadcasting brethren. Still, The CW is a broadcast network.

Nevertheless, your main point is fascinating. Could it be that us non-Filipinos are driving up the numbers because we can't see the exploits of Super Ma'am any other way? It's an interesting phenomenon.

More
27 Dec 2017 19:12 #57881 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Our friends in the Philippines
Having lived in SE Asia for ten years, and spending some time in the Philippines, I can say from my experience that Filipinos are the most individually creative population I've ever encountered, both from the production and consumption of creative material.

It's not high-brow stuff, but it's usually fun. But it seemed to me that every Filipino I met was doing something creative, whether it was running some kind of low-level business scheme (not always on the up-and-up, but creative) or making music or drawing or acting, etc. etc. Seemingly everyone had to release the creative talent inside them, and they kept each other going by appreciating what everyone else did artistically. (If they did critique each other, it was too hidden for me to see.) I saw them as refreshingly non-judgemental. There was no bad art, only better art, which everyone could aspire to. The sense of enjoyment they got from seeing other people's art or creating their own art was contagious.

Unlike in the West, where deconstructive criticism is the cultural norm, and praise is rare or qualified.

I first noticed it when every hotel I went to (and living and traveling in Asia on business, I was in a LOT of hotels), there was a Filipino band playing in the lounge. And they were good. Very, very good compared to lounge bands anywhere else I've been in the world.

And then I realized how much comic art abounded. Seemingly everyone was drawing something, fearlessly. They didn't have to be good to enjoy it and have other people enjoy their work. A very unique culture for encouraging artistic expression, which I would describe as 'exclusively levels of positive feedback'.

So it doesn't surprise me that with video creation tools so inexpensive and pervasive that they now produce all kinds of short films and videos and TV shows and movies, ranging from bad to good, but always low-budget and fun. It seems like its wired into their DNA.

And the fact that many Filipinos seem to enjoy our genre, especially on a live-action level, is interesting. What was interesting was that long stories and novels didn't fly over there. At all. But very short stories, especially with a graphical element, and short videos are really where they seemed to get the most enjoyment.

The more educated, Western-oriented folks, even the Chinese for that matter, looked down on it all as quasi-aboriginal amateur art and impossibly low-brow, but not me (nobody has ever accused me of being high-brow). The whole point was that everyone could get involved to release their inner artist without fear.

Which is especially interesting as the Philippines is a pretty difficult place to live. Perhaps the art is an escape.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Dec 2017 19:54 #57884 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Our friends in the Philippines
Well consider your competition my friend,

there are 100s if not thousands of Supergirl Videos online-a lot featuring these things. Your in good company.

Super Ma'am i will admit is a character that i am not familiar with before you shared-in the english speaking part of the world i bet your kind of unique in this video, or at least more unique.

(black Scorpian-well...who cares very much)

More
27 Dec 2017 20:16 #57885 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Our friends in the Philippines

castor wrote: Well consider your competition my friend,

there are 100s if not thousands of Supergirl Videos online-a lot featuring these things. Your in good company.

And the Supergirl fanbase is global and much much larger too.

But the lowness of the Supergirl views isn't the point -- the large Supergirl fanbase is presumably focused on the same few dozen videos that rank high in YouTube's search results. No, the point is: look at how large the Super Ma'am views are by comparison. There may only be a couple of hundred Super Ma'am videos on YT, but they're clearly getting the hits from the comparatively small audience who have access to the show. And that's because Super Ma'am is a top-rated show in its timeslot in the Philippines -- the latest in a long line of top rated superheroine shows over the last 15 years. And that's because fantasy heroines are really popular with the Pinoy audience.

So... to reiterate my question: where are all those fans on SWM, and other forums?

R5

• five_red
  • five_red's Avatar Topic Author
More
27 Dec 2017 20:38 - 27 Dec 2017 20:41 #57887 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Our friends in the Philippines

five_red wrote:

castor wrote: So... to reiterate my question: where are all those fans on SWM, and other forums?

R5

Probably the same place all those great Filipino singers and bands are in the Western music industry. Not.

Or perhaps they are simply focused on their own forums, which most of us can't even read. Cultural and language issues can form a very high barrier.

Perhaps we should learn Tagalog (or more correctly, Filipino, which is a blend of Tagalog and English and other languages) and join them.

Shadar
Last edit: 27 Dec 2017 20:41 by shadar.

• shadar
More
27 Dec 2017 22:45 #57888 by ong76win2
Replied by ong76win2 on topic Our friends in the Philippines
I am from The Philippines. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helstar

More
28 Dec 2017 02:50 #57896 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Our friends in the Philippines
Hey man ! Cool, i still have a bunch of "Komiks" episodes (from last decade), some of those were really well made for the time !

More
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds