Amount

Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time

24 Apr 2018 12:37 #59253 by kikass2014
Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time was created by kikass2014
Much, MUCH, better episode this week :)

Sure, the action was on the light side (in terms of Supergirl super-stuff), but the story and writing was brilliant.

I really enjoyed the fact that it dealt with the fallout of mental illness through its characters. Each of the pairings had their own mental issues to work through.

The obvious one is My'reen's development of dementia last week. The way the show displayed the fallout of the dangers, to themselves and others, that someone poses with this disease, was well played out imo. And handled in a really good manner, without being ham-fisted.

Lena and Sam was also about someone, ostensibly, losing their mind and identity. Sam finally being shown who she becomes, and coming to the realization that she is a danger and needs to be helped.

And lastly, Kara and Mon-El. Of Kara dealing with mental and emotional conflicts she feels for Mon-El.

Each of the scenes played out beautifully, with some really strong performances by the cast. My favorite was Lena and Sam. The scene where Lena plays back the video of Sam raging was awesome, and to me, reinforced how much I enjoy Odette's performance.

The best was Jo'nn and his father. Carl Lumbly was stellar in this imo. The pride, giving in to reality, brilliant.

Even Kara and Mon-El, working out where they stand, was handled great. The scene of Kara venting her rage at Mon-El, and his acceptence of it, was wonderful. In fact, I've actually really grown fond of Mon-El and his development. And while the tempation is probably to get them back together, I'm glad that the writers are resisting that in an organic manner. I think it would be wrong to do so, and destroy Mon-El as a character imo.

Which it was nice to see them in the end flying off together, not as a couple in love, but as partners off to save the world. And good to see Mon-El in his Legion costume. A geek touch for sure :)

The development at the end was nice to see. Pushing the main narrative in its next phase. Really looking forward to next weeks episode and perhaps seeing the final World Killer :)

Theres more I'm sure I could add, but I will leave with this. Well done Team Supergirl, back with strike :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Apr 2018 21:36 #59259 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time
I really enjoyed this episode.
A great bounce back from last weeks mis step.

As noted there are three plotlines advancing here.

The Dementia plot really strikes home for me for personal reasons'
Whoever wrote this must have first hand experience with a loved one suffering with dementia.
I recognized every stage dramatized here.
Even the psychic power has some form of basis in reality as the loved one suffers those around him or her suffer as well.
Arguments and disagreements tend to flare up on bad days.

Supergirl and Mon el having it out was not as smaltzy as I expected it to be.
Supergirl is the student and it was not easy for her.
She learned and used anew skill to good effect.
I was hoping she would be the one to bring My'reen to his senses but I was ok with Jon doing it.
She did almost talk My'reen down.
I hope Supergirl and Mon El continue on as friends and he stays with his wife.
I loved his supersuit and I hope we see more Legion costumes and more costumes in general in the future.

Lena is becoming one of my favorite characters.
She can make the hard decisions and her manipulation of Sam was masterful.
You could see the pain she was enduring while she pushed every right button to bring out Reign.
All the while she was wearing a super sexy skintight dress and heels.

And no un necessary, shoehorned in political messages.
Every minute of this episode drove the plot forward.

Well done Supergirl team
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach, kikass2014

More
26 Apr 2018 00:23 #59273 by Markiehoe
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
26 Apr 2018 06:29 #59280 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time
I agree, another great episode with MB in her Supersuit 80% of the time. This cast is just fabulous and they really work well together. And what can I say about the writers this season? Can't wait to see how they end it. I hope this series goes 5 seasons plus but for now, I am going to savor every minute of it while I can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
26 Apr 2018 18:03 #59286 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time
As others have noted, I also thought 15 was a pretty good episode. Not as focused on pandering to their base audience and more good storytelling that everyone can enjoy.

Having three strong storylines running, and bits of and pieces of other ones, is a good way to go. As I see it, the main arcs are:

1. Jonzz father's growing dementia and how it affects everyone. This one hits home for many families and is powerful if done right. So far, so good, but I sense this storyline has shorter legs than the next two.

2. Kara and Mon El learning to work together and learning from each other. And the coming engagement with Pestilence. There is a lot of room for this arc to grow, and also lots of room for surprises.

3. Lena trying to heal Sam without releasing Reign on the Earth again, and ignoring James, who grows increasingly concerned. Again, lots of headroom here in the Lena, James and Sam (Reign) character space. A chance to crank in Luthor weirdness. Lena doing what she thinks is right, despite using unconventional approaches that nobody else will agree with.

Three provides lots of opportunities to develop each storyline each week, but not so much as to get bogged down or overly complicated. Hopefully, they won't abandon these storylines and toss in new ones just to surface new characters, but rather allow these stories develop and morph into other storylines organically due to experiences and events.

In other words, new threats only strengthen the existing storylines.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Apr 2018 16:15 #59293 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time
I also liked the touch of humor at the beginning...

Kara (taking her time): "What?... I like this shirt..."

se5revolution.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/6...8f5-8bd3d414b69e.gif
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
27 Apr 2018 19:02 #59294 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time
Haha, yeah there were some nice touches in the opening :D

I liked the punch-up in the photo booth also :P

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k, Markiehoe, theomach

• kikass2014
  • kikass2014's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Apr 2018 01:40 #59296 by Markiehoe

algae2k wrote: I also liked the touch of humor at the beginning...

Kara (taking her time): "What?... I like this shirt..."

se5revolution.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/6...8f5-8bd3d414b69e.gif

A really fun scene.
I ran that back and watched it twice.

More
28 Apr 2018 01:42 #59297 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Season 3 x 15 In Search of Lost Time
I noticed that 3x15 was directed by Andi Armaganian, who, as best as I can research, has never directed an SG show before.

It was also written by Eric Carrasco. They brought him in during Season 2, but this is the first episode where he was the sole writer.

It’s also one of the minoriy of episodes with both a storywriter and two other people writing the teleplay off that story. Usually there are just a couple of writers who do both.

Don’t know if any of these observations explain the good episode or not.

For what its worth, neither this writer nor the teleplay writers have anything to do with the remaining episodes in S3.

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds