Amount

Pre-SDCC News

17 Jul 2018 19:47 - 17 Jul 2018 19:47 #60196 by lfan
Pre-SDCC News was created by lfan
SDCC week is always the mecca in terms of comic-related projects and announcements, including ubergirl related ones.  While the news and announcements are flying fast and furious, here are some uber tidbits to keep our eyes on:

1)  FINALLY!  Dreamworks has released first looks at the new animated She-Ra series on Netflix and announced Nov 16th as the debut date

2)  CW announces a live-action Batwoman series is in development over at CW

3)  Marvel Rising:  Initiation trailer hits which is an animated series featuring Squirrel Girl/Ms Marvel/Ghost Spider  (www.cbr.com/marvel-rising-initiation-trailer/)

4)  Netflix announces that Mark Miller's Jupiter Legacy is proceeding into development as a live-action series.  Jupiter Legacy features the kids of superheroes trying to cope on Earth, including the uberpowerful daughter of one of its greatest heroes

Sure there will be more to come......

ElF

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 17 Jul 2018 19:47 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, SCOTT R, Slim0926, TwiceOnThursdays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Jul 2018 23:39 #60200 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Pre-SDCC News

lfan wrote: SDCC week is always the mecca in terms of comic-related projects and announcements, including ubergirl related ones.  While the news and announcements are flying fast and furious, here are some uber tidbits to keep our eyes on:

1)  FINALLY!  Dreamworks has released first looks at the new animated She-Ra series on Netflix and announced Nov 16th as the debut date

2)  CW announces a live-action Batwoman series is in development over at CW

3)  Marvel Rising:  Initiation trailer hits which is an animated series featuring Squirrel Girl/Ms Marvel/Ghost Spider  (www.cbr.com/marvel-rising-initiation-trailer/)

4)  Netflix announces that Mark Miller's Jupiter Legacy is proceeding into development as a live-action series.  Jupiter Legacy features the kids of superheroes trying to cope on Earth, including the uberpowerful daughter of one of its greatest heroes

Sure there will be more to come......

ElF

So, She-Ra is now 12 years old. No thank you. She's supposed to be a powerful, statuesque WOMAN, not some kid.

No loss. Animation isn't my thing anyway.

Life action Batwoman could be interesting if done well. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, kikass2014

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
18 Jul 2018 01:10 #60202 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Pre-SDCC News
Pass.

Next please.

Peace.

/K

More
18 Jul 2018 01:50 #60204 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Pre-SDCC News
Let me counteract the dismissiveness and negativity and say that I'm interested to watch the She-Ra cartoon. Depends on how kiddy it is and how the storylines are. Teen Titans was incredibly dark for a children's series!!!

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
18 Jul 2018 17:16 #60210 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Pre-SDCC News

oogber wrote: Let me counteract the dismissiveness and negativity and say that I'm interested to watch the She-Ra cartoon. Depends on how kiddy it is and how the storylines are. Teen Titans was incredibly dark for a children's series!!!

Thanks.
I don't like the look any more than the next guy, but I think that here story is key.

More
18 Jul 2018 19:49 - 18 Jul 2018 19:51 #60213 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Pre-SDCC News
My God, that looks like a total disaster ... between She-Ra and Thundercats remakes, don't know which one looks the worst right now !
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 19:51 by Helstar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

More
18 Jul 2018 23:57 #60216 by shadar

Woodclaw wrote:

oogber wrote: Let me counteract the dismissiveness and negativity and say that I'm interested to watch the She-Ra cartoon. Depends on how kiddy it is and how the storylines are. Teen Titans was incredibly dark for a children's series!!!

Thanks.
I don't like the look any more than the next guy, but I think that here story is key.

At this point, we're just commenting on the concept and what we can judge from the initial art. Which isn't encouraging. 

But if it's a great story with good animation and characterization and dialog, etc., and that's what early viewers report, then I'm all in. 

Unfortunately, that's hard to do if the concept sucks. But nothing is impossible. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasminevancroft

• shadar
More
19 Jul 2018 01:26 #60217 by jasminevancroft
Replied by jasminevancroft on topic Pre-SDCC News

shadar wrote:

Woodclaw wrote:

Thanks.

At this point, we're just commenting on the concept and what we can judge from the initial art. Which isn't encouraging. 

But if it's a great story with good animation and characterization and dialog, etc., and that's what early viewers report, then I'm all in. 

Unfortunately, that's hard to do if the concept sucks. But nothing is impossible. 

Shadar

South Park, Bojack Horseman, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force all have pretty crappy animation (or at least started that way and got better as they got bigger budgets). Never judge a cartoon on how it looks!

More
19 Jul 2018 11:40 #60225 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Pre-SDCC News
Of course story comes first.
Why can't we have story and good art and great animation?

In 2018 we have access to the most powerful computers ever built.
Yet we are fed flat blocky art and jerky animation and we are expected to like it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

More
19 Jul 2018 16:09 #60229 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Pre-SDCC News
With all due respoect, this looks 1000x better than the upcoming ThunderCats remake.  While I'm not digging the animation style, it is in line with the "simplified Western animation" of the times.  I had hoped for something more Filmation-esque as well.....bummer......

As for her age, its been discussed in the past by several people including the producers and the star of She-Ra that Adora was, in fact, like 17-18 years old in the original series, eventhough she didn't seem to be drawn that way.

ElF

Helstar wrote: My God, that looks like a total disaster ... between She-Ra and Thundercats remakes, don't know which one looks the worst right now !

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Jul 2018 16:13 #60230 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Pre-SDCC News

Markiehoe wrote:
Yet we are fed flat blocky art and jerky animation and we are expected to like it.

THIS x 1000......it boggles my mind everytime to see how animation (except for 3D) -- and to an extent, comic art -- has seemingly digressed with the quantum leap in technology.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, Markiehoe

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 Jul 2018 19:20 - 19 Jul 2018 19:21 #60234 by shadar

lfan wrote:

Markiehoe wrote:

THIS x 1000......it boggles my mind everytime to see how animation (except for 3D) -- and to an extent, comic art -- has seemingly digressed with the quantum leap in technology.

Can't agree more... I've been eagerly awaiting the day when animation becomes difficult (ideally impossible) to distinguish from live action. The potential is there over time, and we all can easily imagine how much that will benefit our genre, where live action can't capture our favorite characters properly, no matter how well done. Especially given some of our more "dramatic" characters could never be portrayed by real actors. 

I would love to see the more amazing stories in our collective imagination, acted out by animated characters, with all their super abilities and extreme bodies on display, yet with every nuance of form, expression and movement completely realistic. Ideally done in holographic 3D. I figured that was 20 years off back at the turn of the century. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see this. 

Shows like Avatar took us a big step closer. I figured another 3 or 4 steps of equal magnitude to that and we'd be there. But now I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see this. 

Shadar
Last edit: 19 Jul 2018 19:21 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• shadar
More
19 Jul 2018 19:56 #60235 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Pre-SDCC News
I was just thinking about Avatar, a big office production that made loads of cash in the wide screen.If the likes of She-Ra on Netflix is aimed at the kiddies cartoon market, they won't be breaking the bank and will keep it pretty basic. Looks disappointing nonetheless.

More
19 Jul 2018 21:28 #60237 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Pre-SDCC News

lfan wrote:

Markiehoe wrote:

I believe that the problem is that technology is coming to a point where it is possible to reach peaks of ultra-realism and this is forcing animation to look for new avenues. It's similar to what happened to painters after photography became widespread. For centuries painters strove to find ways to make art as close to nature as possible, but after photography made this research obsolete, some artists looked for something differnt, which lead to impressionism and, eventually, cubism.
Today animation faces a similar scenario. Working with this super-stylized designs makes a product easy to recognize and this matters A LOT.

More
19 Jul 2018 21:45 #60238 by kikass2014
I think the say goes:

"Cost - Speed - Quality: Pick Two"

Even with the blindingly fast computers we have now, animation still takes a LONG time to produce (especially if asking for photo or near-photorealisitc quality).

As such, I think we can all agree that the choice of style is a business one, rather then an artistic one.  I don't know how many episodes they are producing, or how long they have for each.  I'm guessing those were more pressing then the quality aspect.

However, having said that, I would have expected SIGNIFICANTLY better quality then what is shown here.  I can produce better stuff on my own, using my own pc, and I am FAR from an expert in animation or drawing.  As an example, this is my render of Lynda Carter.  It took LESS then a minute to render on my rig.

Makes you wonder where the budget for these shows goes tbh.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace.

/K

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Markiehoe

More
20 Jul 2018 00:47 #60247 by shadar
Several excellent thoughts in recent comments...

I would add that realism is a non-goal for some shows (think South Park), and a unique style is more important. All the good stuff is in the dialog. 

But many of us set a different standard for genre productions. We want to see amazing definition and details because we have a well-honed visual sense for superhuman characters. 

We are, after all, a special interest group.

Shadar

• shadar
More
20 Jul 2018 01:14 - 20 Jul 2018 01:14 #60248 by kikass2014
Oh I totally agree.  I would also add that we are clearly not the demographic for this show.

Non-realism in animations like South Park, Samurai Jack, etc. work fine for the tone of the shows.  It also mainly works because that is the style they have always had.  She-ra has been an animation before (in the eighties if I remember right).  And it had better art, imo, back then, then it does in this incarnation.

As such, this new She-ra show doesn't even look good stylistically - the art doesn't really marry up with the concept imo.  Thus, to me, it just ends up looking cheap.  Not even bad, cheap.  Think about that.

Surely in this day and age, what with "girl power" and all that jazz flying about, you would think they would spend a little time and effort on this?

Bad decision and a wasted opportunity to me.

Hopefully it won't stick and we can get better shows.

If people stop supporting mediocrity, maybe we can start getting some quality.

It isn't a question of not having the technology, or the knowledge (or even the audience to be honest).  Its the desire thats not there.

Which is the saddest part.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 20 Jul 2018 01:14 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helstar

More
20 Jul 2018 03:52 #60252 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Pre-SDCC News
Doctor Who is one of the most popular shows round the world.

In 1979 the episode Shada was abandoned halfway thru production.

In 2018 the BBC spared all expenses and animated the missing scenes.
This the crap fest we get.

This "animation" was produced in 2018!
You could cut out cardboard figures and put rivets in the elbows an animate a better show.

More
20 Jul 2018 10:21 #60257 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic Pre-SDCC News
The biggest hurdle for us methuselahs is remembering the Filmation version. Even when she appeared in the comics (including the latest MotU reboot) she was an adult, not a YA/tween character. I think that is where the big disconnect comes from. That's as far as character design.  Heck, look at what came out this year-

Sideshow Collectibles She-Ra
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
21 Jul 2018 06:27 #60275 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Pre-SDCC News
I posed this in the other thread, but hey talking about it here to.

Mostly, I'm posting as how the hell did I not know that J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, Sense 8) was co-creator of She-Ra???

JMS' comments on new She-Ra, and the original  (he has nothing to do with the new version.)

www.themarysue.com/j-michael-straczynski-she-ra-design/

More
21 Jul 2018 17:19 #60277 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Pre-SDCC News

I am studying this very intently.  

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno

• Sarge395
More
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds