Amount

captain marvel

07 Mar 2019 14:29 #63076 by flynn0609
captain marvel was created by flynn0609
movie is released today....whenever anyone sees and update on any strength  scenes she may have would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flynn0609
  • flynn0609's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2019 16:36 #63081 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic captain marvel

flynn0609 wrote: movie is released today....whenever anyone sees and update on any strength  scenes she may have would be appreciated!

Sounds like an official SPOILER thread should be started to allow those who wish to remain virgins.

The rest of us, whether we've seen it or not, can luxuriate in the hedonsim of sharing and debating all the details. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lulu

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
08 Mar 2019 03:32 #63098 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic captain marvel
I'll keep this spoiler free.

I've never teared up during the movie studio logo thing at the beginning of a movie before.  Well done Marvel, well done.

Also, there are TWO end credits scenes -- STAY ALL THE WAY TO THE END.

Yes, there are strength scenes.   You can tell from the trailers she comes into her full power at the end of the movie, the trailer doesn't lie (I won't go into the specifics).   She uses some strength throughout the movie, but the end fight scene has some nice stuff.  It showcases her physical (and energy) powers well.

Plus her using her other powers and kicking ass.   There is a complete WOOHOO moment of showing just how much a badass she is.  Trust me, you might go "is this it?" ... but when you actually see it you'll know what it is.

The movie is fun in the right ways -- not over done, because that wouldn't be quite right. It's tonally NOT Guardians which ended in a dance-off, but it does have some good fun bits.  We discussed the cat from the trailers esp with Fury -- and I think they managed to the exact right amount there.  The cat is one of the best parts of the movie.

It does (like GoTG seems to have taught marvel) use popular music, and mostly it's all well done.  Not GotG I good, but pretty well done and helps set the 1995 timeline of the movie.  Also Jackson can belt out a tune. ;-)

The deaging of Jackson and Gregg works pretty well. You can tell something is a bit off, but it works pretty well and I didn't fixate on it.

Larson and Jackson have great chemistry.  It's a bit wooden at first, and loosens up.  But that's exactly how it should be.  Larson does a great job IMHO of delivering what they wanted/needed from the story.   The casting choices are all well done.

I'm not sure you should take my barometer for it, but it's it's not even in the same galaxy as Supergirl re over-SJW-ing things.  Everything is tonally right here for the character and her story and doesn't feel like someone went out of their way to slip things in.  I'd love to hear other opinons, but I didn't see anything to complain about.  But, I'm a bit more accepting of this stuff (though even I have to say Supergirl overdoes it).

I do wonder what the rabbid fringe of Comicsgate people will think of a photo Jackson looks at right as the movie is ending (not end credits).  This is a _minor_ point in the movie, but it's still something I hope no one mentions in non-spoiler areas until people have a chance to see it on their own.  Like many things in the movie it won't ruin anything but it's much more fun to experience it fresh.  (maybe if you want to discuss move it over to the spoiler thread even though it's minor I don't tink the trailers let it out)

I will say a lot of the humor for me was telegraphed. I KNEW it was comiing.  But -- it was still damn funny and satisyfing. For example, I KNEW exactly what the last end credit scene was going to be when it started.  I wonder how well it'll hold up under multiple viewings, I supsect well.  Humor that relies on surprise doesn't always hold up well.  Humor that works even when you know the joke but just have to laugh tends to keep working. I DO want to see it again and probably will.  I normally only see a movie twice if friends want to go see it OR it's years later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, kikass2014, guimachajo1

More
10 Mar 2019 02:53 #63123 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic captain marvel
Saw it today myself and posted my quick thoughts in the spoiler thread.

I'm not sure you should take my barometer for it, but it's it's not even in the same galaxy as Supergirl re over-SJW-ing things.  Everything is tonally right here for the character and her story and doesn't feel like someone went out of their way to slip things in.  I'd love to hear other opinons, but I didn't see anything to complain about.  But, I'm a bit more accepting of this stuff (though even I have to say Supergirl overdoes it).

I, too, saw VERY little if ANY SJW stuff in this.  And as some may know, I'm very vocal about that stuff.  If it was there, you can bet your ass I would have called it out :)  
The following user(s) said Thank You: d_k_c, TwiceOnThursdays

More
10 Mar 2019 08:40 #63124 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic captain marvel
The movie was OK.  Not the best, not the worst in the series.  It's about what I expected.

As to the politics, the majority of the hate was directed at the public comments.  People react as they will from there.

Intersectionality is a plague and a disease and the people who follow it are (IMO) morons.  She made racist comments and she got backlash for said racist comments.  Intersectonaility worshipers not only don't see it as racist, but think she speaks the truth to identity based power struggles.

People tie public persona with art.  Think Kevin Spacey will work again or be reviewed well if he does?  (And I always thought he was a decent actor.)  The recent headlines about revisiting Michael Jackson's legacy (as if the quality of the music has anything to do with his alleged offline behavior.)  The hate towards Liam Neeson (another excellent actor) because of his public comments.  Yet she makes racist comments and the group she made them against get their knickers in a bunch about it.  Stimulus = response.  The difference is that those folks aren't ALLOWED to get indignant about it because of (you guessed it) intersectionality.  They're all just a bunch of haters protecting their power group - not people with a legit point of view.

You and I don't have to agree K - I'm perfectly fine with that since I'm fairly sure from your postings here that you don't worship at that particular altar.  I was taught and firmly believe in the idea that people, regardless of race or gender, should be treated the same.  I'll never forget my ex getting mad at me once she realized that I wasn't just opening the doors for her to treat her special - I did it for everyone.

The cat deserves as much catnip as it can get and a big ball of yarn for his performance in the show.  In fact, I'm strongly suspecting that cats have been under and mis represented in the movies and I'll bet he didn't get paid nearly as much as his co-stars.  The intolerance!

More
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds