Amount

Comments disappeared

13 Mar 2019 05:31 #63175 by jsooi0110
Comments disappeared was created by jsooi0110
Hi greetings, 

I found that the comments on my stories are lost. Any idea why? Thanks

JS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jsooi0110
  • jsooi0110's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2019 11:57 #63179 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Comments disappeared
hi can you let me know what comments are missing and from what story.

thanks

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Mar 2019 15:44 #63183 by jsooi0110
Replied by jsooi0110 on topic Comments disappeared
Hi all my stories' comments are disappeared:

Super Catwoman Part 1 & 2
What It Means To Be A Super Strong And Sexy Girl Part 1 & 2

JS

• jsooi0110
More
13 Mar 2019 16:23 #63184 by fats
looking at the backend there are 4 comments for both Super Catwoman parts 1 and 2 for what it means to be a super strong and sexy girl 1 there are 2 comments and none for part 2.

I've had a deep dive into the database and there are no deleted or orphaned comments if you think or have notes of other comments please let me know as this is a serious matter if comments are going missing.

thanks

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Mar 2019 16:55 #63185 by jsooi0110
Replied by jsooi0110 on topic Comments disappeared
Hi as per attachment Super Catwoman part 2 appear to be like this when I was looking at the comment section of the stories. 

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• jsooi0110
More
13 Mar 2019 17:53 #63188 by fats
ok, the comments are there and are not showing on your story, I've checked through a desktop and a mobile device and in both they are not showing so I'm going to have to look at this in more detail, I will get back in touch when I can find the solution.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: jsooi0110

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Mar 2019 03:23 #63210 by Totally Kyle
Replied by Totally Kyle on topic Comments disappeared
I can't see comments on ANY stories, actually. At first I just assumed that my phone was being slow again but I finally checked on my PC and they still aren't appearing. I can still see how many comments SHOULD be on each story, but I can't read them. I can't actually read a single comment on a single story.

More
14 Mar 2019 06:05 #63211 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Comments disappeared
Yup...comments be gone....which is somewhat upsetting when you consider that it’s harder to comment, than it is to write a story.....by the numbers, it seems. 

More
16 Mar 2019 14:48 - 16 Mar 2019 14:56 #63246 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Comments disappeared

d_k_c wrote: Yup...comments be gone....which is somewhat upsetting when you consider that it’s harder to comment, than it is to write a story.....by the numbers, it seems. 

It would may be worth setting up a separate Story section,followed by sub-divided folders set up by the authors, rather than the current format of tagging onto the end of a chapter. It would give the author's story their own space for feedback which is always appreciated. Fats, Woodclaw - would this be a step forward?
Last edit: 16 Mar 2019 14:56 by Monty.

More
16 Mar 2019 16:08 #63247 by fats
this issue will be looked at today and tomorrow, it's the only free time that I have.

we do have a sub-section of the forum for people to post comments and discussions about stories, it's there for people to use it.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Mar 2019 16:49 - 16 Mar 2019 16:50 #63248 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Comments disappeared

fats wrote: this issue will be looked at today and tomorrow, it's the only free time that I have.

we do have a sub-section of the forum for people to post comments and discussions about stories, it's there for people to use it.

Fats

I much prefer this approach that Fats mentions as opposed to adding comments at the bottom of stories 

I think every author should open a topic in the Forum/Stories,Writers,Artists/Showcase Your Work whenever their story is posted where they give us their pitch for the story. That sub-forum was initially opened for new writers, but it seems to be the closest fit to what we all should be using. None of the other sub-forum topics are an exact fit for announcing  a new story. 

Given stories should (my opinion) remain the heart of SWM, this allows for an initial author-to-reader communication which may encourage the coveted reader-to-author feedback. Perhaps the Forum Latest list might get clogged with story comments, but how wonderful that would be!!  Good news is that we can do all this without Fats having to change the site design or tweak anything. It's already ready to go. 

And given the current glitch in comments, what better time to change this without burdening Fats with more work. 

Shadar
Last edit: 16 Mar 2019 16:50 by shadar.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
16 Mar 2019 23:29 #63251 by fats
ok, I've had a good old look at the problem and I've found out what it is.

Some comments are no longer linked to the stories that they deal with.

I tested this out by posting a new comment on a story that has comments and is not showing them, and as soon as I posted the comment it showed.

This is good and bad news, I now have the problem but I need to look at the solution and that is going to be a DB edit, so if people won't mind I'm going to hold off on that until I reboot the site in April, it will give me time to properly research the solution and implement it when the site is offline.

You can continue to use the comments option or you can create a new thread and use the forum for that, it's up to you.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, mastadon, Woody

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 May 2019 16:46 #63870 by Totally Kyle

fats wrote: I now have the problem but I need to look at the solution and that is going to be a DB edit, so if people won't mind I'm going to hold off on that until I reboot the site in April, it will give me time to properly research the solution and implement it when the site is offline.
Fats

There is literally no way for me to say this without sounding rude and impatient. Just believe me when I say that I understand that this is probably a complicated issue and that you're all doing your best.

But April has come and gone, and the comments haven't come back yet.

There is a very specific date where everything changed. Every story that was posted on February 23rd and older shows the number of comments above the story's title when you're browsing, but when you actually click on the story, the comments aren't there. But then, every story posted AFTER February 23rd does NOT show the number of comments above the story's title when you're browsing, but when you actually click on the story, the comments ARE there.

I mean, I guess that people are able to post comments again, but there are still over 21 years worth of stories where the comments have disappeared.

More
02 May 2019 19:22 #63872 by fats
Totally Kyle, I understand your desire to see the comments, but I was expecting to have the month of April off so that I would have the time to fix the problems, that is not the only site issue that needs to be fixed, i also have to reinstall the server software to get us up to date with patches, move the site to https for secure operation and work out why no one can add any polls to forum posts, so yes the comments are missing but know this I'm aware of the issues and I WILL get them fixed.

At the moment real life takes priority.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 May 2019 19:42 #63873 by Totally Kyle

fats wrote: Totally Kyle, I understand your desire to see the comments, but I was expecting to have the month of April off so that I would have the time to fix the problems, that is not the only site issue that needs to be fixed, i also have to reinstall the server software to get us up to date with patches, move the site to https for secure operation and work out why no one can add any polls to forum posts, so yes the comments are missing but know this I'm aware of the issues and I WILL get them fixed.

At the moment real life takes priority.

Fats

Understandable. Like I said, I didn't want to come off as being impatient. You said that it would probably be fixed in April and I was just wondering what was going on, that's all.

Real life absolutely does take priority. I've practically abandoned the only story I ever wrote on this site for that exact same reason, so I completely understand. Take your time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds