Amount

Who is your superwoman?

09 Apr 2020 22:56 #67537 by MisterK
Who is your superwoman? was created by MisterK
Discussion from another thread got me thinking of this. Since Peter Parker is what makes Spider-Man work--meaning characterization is what matters most, I have a challenge for all here who have created an original superhero(ine.)

WHO is your superwoman. Avoid telling me about her powers. Tell me about her, her personality, her friends, her priorities, what matters to her.

I'll out mine up soon. I'm in the middle of making dinner. I'll make one start. Since Ms. Infinity is highly influenced by my wife, cooking is not a high priority to her (lest that come off as sexist, I DON't consider that a weakness either. That's what Ms. Infinity's boyfriend is there for. And her mother. And for Mr.s K, that's why I'm here.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MisterK
  • MisterK's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2020 23:58 - 10 Apr 2020 00:01 #67543 by Idylls
Replied by Idylls on topic Who is your superwoman?
I wanted to say Starlight from The Boys but I'm not sure how she is the comics. 

In essence my "supergirl" ( I prefer them to be younger, innocence of youth and all that. And yes I know about "jailbait") is someone who shares her gifts for the betterment of the world. 

I'll just say what I wrote back in college in a writing exercise to describe my ideal girl. "Someone who makes me smile on my darkest days." 

(I was like a vampire emo back then)
Last edit: 10 Apr 2020 00:01 by Idylls.

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2020 00:01 #67544 by MisterK
Replied by MisterK on topic Who is your superwoman?
Bonnie Boring lives in Woodside, Queens, a busy multicultrual NYC neighborhood (also one of the hardest hit areas in the COVID-19 crisis. Story ideas may come from that in the future.) She escaped with her mother from her native world, where she was persecuted because she had abilities that were superior to the males around her. She effectively escaped the equivalent of an honor killing. Her name is derived from the name she had in her (non verbal) alien communication, which translated to "Bland Beauty," hence Bonnie Boring.

She did poorly in school, and eventually graduated with an associates from LaGuardia Community College. She works customer service at The Big Box, a superstore near her home.

Bonnie is honest and outspoken. She is warm and friendly, but she can also be impatient, and she has a bit of a temper. She's not a particularly good listener.. But she is a loyal friend, and very good-hearted. 

She is a very hard worker. Though she may be frustrated with her low station in life, she takes her job very seriously, and often enjoys it.

It helps that her best friend Lisa Lin is there with her. Lisa has known her almost since she arrived on Earth, and they are like sisters. Bonnie admires her. She has even called her a "superhero without a cape," because she sees her as "incorruptible." To Bonnie, Lisa represents an honest, unpretentious form of heroism that is apparent in every day life. She helps others unselfishly without looking for gratitude or recognition. The two also love to laugh. Their favorite topic of conversation seems to be bodily functions, particularly farting and B.O.

Her mother Betty is warm and approachable, and is (as one might expect) completely dedicated to her daughter, though she is also very active in the community. It is highly important to her that Bonnie treat the people around her with respect. She has only reluctantly allowed her daughter to be a superhero, and conditioned it on her responsible use of her powers. Though Bonnie is an adult, their conservative culture dictates that one always listens to one's parents--even in adulthood. Though they are feminists, and have rejected their native world's gender norms, parental supremacy remains--even if Bonnie often outwardly gives her mother attitude. (Also, Bonnie lives at home, so she is subject to mom's rules.)

Her boyfriend is Hal Holstein, a cashier at her job. A sweet-natured young man who admires Ms. Infinity, he also loves her as Bonnie, and after discovering her secret identity, he was able to love her without being overly "star struck." More importantly to Bonnie, he is completely committed to his family, specifically his much-younger sister, who needed him to step in as a father figure during their parents' divorce. She plays a dominant role in their relationship (as one might expect) but she has a lot of respect for him in her heart. 

She has a thick Queens accent ("you ah one spacey cashieyah!") that she tries her best to hide as Ms. Infinity. Her use of shape-shifting to become Ms. Infinity has also caused issues with her mother, who feels that she looks best as herself, and worries that her need to change might reflect a negative body image. Lisa confirms this in one scene where she notes that as Bonnie she won't even go out in a bathing suit. She does suffer from many insecurities, Despite having many awesome powers, it seems almost everything she can't do feels like a mortal failure to her. For example, she's a poor singer, and she's extremely embarrassed about it. The one exception is cooking. She just can't be bothered.

• MisterK
  • MisterK's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2020 18:31 #67568 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Who is your superwoman?
Saltire

Born in Edinburg in the 1920s, Aileen Scott started working as a waitress in 1937 to help her struggling family. She dreamed of being a novelist and she actually spent most of her time at home jutting down notes and sending short stories to magazines and publishers. Things changed in early 1940, as more and more young men were drafted into service, leaving the "Three Sisters Pub" deserted... then came the Blitz. In December 1940, while returning home from the "Three Sisters", Aileen was caught in the blast of a German bombing raid and was buried under a ton of rubble.
She never knew what happened, but hours later she woke up under the rubble, still alive: her body was knitting itself together and she started crawling out. When a search party of the home guard found her, she was immediately shipped to a hospital and from there to the Ministry of War in London. The idea of a soldier capable of healing even the worst injuries was too good to be true, so Aileen became a bone of contention, everyone seemed to have his own idea on how to use her.
It was hell on earth for Aileen. She had learned how to kill, but nothing actually prepared her for the gruesome reality of the battlefield and, above all, nothing prepared her for the pain. Whereas a normal soldier's body would just shut down and let him die, her regeneration kept her alive an conscious. Over the six hours of Operation Archery she sustained 59 bullet wounds, survived three mortar shells and a malfunction satchel charge, but was instrumental in destroying multiple ships and a fish oil factory... but she was shellshocked.
The O.S.E. tried to get her back on her feet with some experimental battle drugs, but they didn't work, her metabolism burned through them and morphine at an accelerated rate. Like under the rubble many years before, Aileen had to push herself out of this abyss on her own. The world was at war and she knew she had to swallow her fear... but it didn't make it any easier. Over the next two years, she took the field several times, but it wasn't until 1944 that she started to really recover. On June 5th 1944 she jumped in the night sky over occupied France alongside the Parachute Regiment.
Two weeks later, she had become the unofficial sweetheart of half the British soldier in France, a blue-clad angel that bailed them out of the fire time and again. In was in the maelstrom of the war she run into one Corporal Duncan McNeal, one of the old patrons of the "Three Sisters", who recognized her and asked her to marry him. They married in late 1945 and swiftly moved to Caithness Country.
In 1951, the government tracked her down, trying to get her back into the field as part of the U.N. task force in Korea, but Aileen refused. By now she was completely burned up and couldn't bring herself to fight another day. She had recurring nightmares and things started to get better only a couple of years later, when her husband roped her into starting to write again, putting her nightmares down on the page.
Aileen's life had been quite the odyssey, from starry-eyed teenager to hard-assed commando to novelist, but one thing remained constant: she was never afraid of working hard, in fact, she often did more than her fair share but thought it wasn't enough. Yet, none of this prepared her for dealing with a really pissed off daughter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MisterK

More
12 Apr 2020 01:10 #67611 by marcoasalazarm2
Replied by marcoasalazarm2 on topic Who is your superwoman?
Would be interesting in reading an "Operation Archery" story. And more of her in general. Hopefully also one in which she gets back in the saddle, even if not necessarily for the government.

More
12 Apr 2020 04:03 #67614 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Who is your superwoman?
I do Archery for competition.  There a LOT of of ladies in great shape at these tournaments.  Just saying.

More
12 Apr 2020 10:43 #67618 by Woodclaw

marcoasalazarm2 wrote: Would be interesting in reading an "Operation Archery" story. And more of her in general. Hopefully also one in which she gets back in the saddle, even if not necessarily for the government.

Operation Archery was the first deployment of the British Commandos during WW2.

More
12 Apr 2020 13:44 - 12 Apr 2020 13:44 #67624 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Who is your superwoman?
Wow I didn't realise Aileen went through so much torment,poor lass. Although none of this explains her enhanced speed and strength.

Well done on your knowledge of British military operations,I don't know how many people would even have heard of  Operation Archery. 'Guns of the Highlands' is one of my favourite stories and in my option one of the more 'realistic' superwoman stories. I also loved that you managed to make Duncan and the rest of his platoon valued allies without overshadowing Aileen as well as making the Germans more human than a lot of WW2 stories. 

I would love to hear more about Saltire (either one) and I would be happy to offer any help you need.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 13:44 by The Highlander.

More
12 Apr 2020 15:48 #67633 by Woodclaw

The Highlander wrote: Wow I didn't realise Aileen went through so much torment,poor lass. Although none of this explains her enhanced speed and strength.

Well, the real origin of Aileen's powers was always meant to be an unknown factor. Her powers first manifested after she was buried during the Blitz, but I purportedly left out any explanation about the hows and ways.

The Highlander wrote: Well done on your knowledge of British military operations,I don't know how many people would even have heard of  Operation Archery. 'Guns of the Highlands' is one of my favourite stories and in my option one of the more 'realistic' superwoman stories. I also loved that you managed to make Duncan and the rest of his platoon valued allies without overshadowing Aileen as well as making the Germans more human than a lot of WW2 stories.

Thank you. I have two real-life friends that are absolutely obsessed with WW2, one can sing you the litany of German military operations, the other is obsessed with British forces. As far as I'm concerned I started investigating the history of special forces after playing the hell out of Commandos, Behind Enemy Lines, which is still my favorite tactical simulation game, bar none.
Giving a fair portrait of all the characters involved was one of my big goals when I wrote Guns of the Highlands and I'm very much in debt for the inspiration to Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts novels.

The Highlander wrote: I would love to hear more about Saltire (either one) and I would be happy to offer any help you need.

You and me both, but while I have a pretty hefty outline of three generations of the family, I was never able to write down more than 3 pages before getting stuck.

More
07 Jun 2021 06:57 #71376 by Thefirstone
Replied by Thefirstone on topic Who is your superwoman?
May Taylor was always tall, strong and sexy, and starting in college began a career as a dominatrix.  Not long afterward she encountered a Preservationist, an alien energy being that bonded to her and granted her godlike powers.  The Preservationist and others of its kind are a combination of park rangers and border patrol, defending low-tech isolated worlds and their inhabitants from outside exploitation/interference by binding to a local (to minimize their own interference).  The one bonded to May is young for its species, and curious about the new world it was assigned to and the perks of having a physical body, always begging May to try any food, take a closer look at any picture, etc, that catches its interest.  May herself has always been proud and dominant, and becoming essentially a goddess made flesh has only made her even more so.  Both due to the abuse inflicted upon anything she wears while hunting down alien criminals and due to her own “If you’ve got it, flaunt it” mentality, she’s taken to fighting naked.  She knows her parents don’t really approve of what she does in her mundane life, and is trying to figure out how to tell them about all this.

More
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds