Amount

Good To Be Back!

04 Apr 2021 14:25 #70882 by Monty
Good To Be Back! was created by Monty
I'm not sure what happened yesterday as Fats did some tinkering behind the scenes, but it is good to see the site back online - Thanks Fats!
The following user(s) said Thank You: CANNNNIS, Rand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Monty
  • Monty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Apr 2021 15:35 #70883 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Good To Be Back!

I'm not sure what happened yesterday as Fats did some tinkering behind the scenes, but it is good to see the site back online - Thanks Fats!
The plan was for a complete overhaul of the site interface, but something went wrong right at the end, unfortunately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty, RD

More
05 Apr 2021 12:49 #70887 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Good To Be Back!
what had happened was simple, I've been working on a new template/framework for the site that is more up to date and is better suited for modern web use, the one we have is almost 3 years old and has not had a new feature or has been updated to take in consideration new techs.

I have a dev server at home and have been working on that and have the new template working on that with no issues, I then choose Saturday to do the change, it should have taken only a few minutes but ended up taking hours with multiple issues that I tried to fix to get the new template/framework to work,

In short, it was a complete fuck up, I then worked to get us back to where we were and to get the site resolved, I've spent most of Sunday trying to work out where the problems are and what I need to do to fix them, I've got most of the problems resolved but there are a few that are a real pain and I'm going to work on them this week.

Hopefully, this weekend will be a much better outcome.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, ahp19, shadar, Woodclaw, Raa, SCOTT R, Markiehoe, Monty, eric328, kikass2014, TheOne25, RD, guimachajo1, Glaazius, Rjjt456, Mcvee17

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
05 Apr 2021 13:06 #70888 by Rjjt456
Replied by Rjjt456 on topic Good To Be Back!
Programming ain’t easy but I hope you’re able to figure out the problems.

More
05 Apr 2021 17:16 #70890 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Good To Be Back!

what had happened was simple, I've been working on a new template/framework for the site that is more up to date and is better suited for modern web use, the one we have is almost 3 years old and has not had a new feature or has been updated to take in consideration new techs.

I have a dev server at home and have been working on that and have the new template working on that with no issues, I then choose Saturday to do the change, it should have taken only a few minutes but ended up taking hours with multiple issues that I tried to fix to get the new template/framework to work,

In short, it was a complete fuck up, I then worked to get us back to where we were and to get the site resolved, I've spent most of Sunday trying to work out where the problems are and what I need to do to fix them, I've got most of the problems resolved but there are a few that are a real pain and I'm going to work on them this week.

Hopefully, this weekend will be a much better outcome.

Fats
Yeah, I know that one. Back when I was maintaining a server/website, I always figured I could just clone my off-line development system to the on-line one and all would be well. Made perfect sense that it would work given everything transferred over. But it rarely was that easy, for reasons that were always different and frustrating.

I think I can speak for everyone to say that we appreciate your dedication and sympathize with your frustration. And to thank you for your tenacity. These sites don't run themselves. Not even close. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Monty, Rjjt456

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
05 Apr 2021 17:21 #70891 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic Good To Be Back!
Yeah, I had a release last week to an environment which was supposed to clone another one.

Except that it was in a completely different time zone...

That screwed us until we figured it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rjjt456

More
05 Apr 2021 19:04 #70892 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic Good To Be Back!
So sorry you had to deal with all that, Fats! Hope it goes smoother on the second try... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
06 Apr 2021 00:13 #70893 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Good To Be Back!
Thankyou Fats for everything. You are very much appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds