Amount

New storyline: Jimmy

21 Jun 2021 04:21 #71519 by shadar
New storyline: Jimmy was created by shadar
I've got a couple of installments posted so far of a new story named Jimmy. 

This is my latest attempt to develop my personal vision of Supergirl by focusing on the fact that she has essentially three personas. 

You've got the iconic Supergirl in her red and blues. Everyone thinks they know her, but do they?

You've also got Linda, who is a radically different persona, more like Clark Kent in my interpretation. 

I'd like to further develop both those persona's in a late 1950's setting, using my personal amalgam of Pre-Crisis Kara Zor El lore with some twists.

But more importantly in this story, I want to explore this Kryptonian girl named Kara who was blasted, completely unprepared, from her otherwise normal life on Krypton at the age of 16 (in my continuity), who then watches her entire world die, and then gets stuck in stasis for decades before showing up late for the party on Earth. There she is thrust into being Supergirl, even while struggling to figure out what its like to be an ordinary human girl named Linda. 

In my story, she's been on Earth for 3 years or so. 

But what often gets lost in most portrayals is that her social and emotional development as a Kryptonian froze the day Krypton died.  Now she's on Earth starting to act more and more like an Earth girl except when flying around as Supergirl, where she tries to live up to Kal's expectations.

But Kara remembers her life back on Krypton, and the girl she used to be before her world ended and she became Supergirl and Linda.

Jimmy plays a key role in exploring that Kara, which is the main focus of the story. 

The story is named Jimmy because I started with developing the cub reporters/photog named Jimmy Olson, a bow-tied, red-headed kid who somehow has become Superman's Pal, and is privy to his most important secret -- his secret identity. It starts with Kara deciding to trust Jimmy too, and then there are surprises. 

I've also enjoyed developing this early Jimmy, who was wildly uncool in the comics and ignored by many readers. He was portrayed as kind of a sidekick, but not really.  But in my view, he's a pretty interesting person. Not the least because he and Superman/Clark have an unexpected friendship where he is privy to his secrets. Kara wants to have that kind of friendship too. 

Except it turns out there is a lot of unexpected chemistry between what I call Kryptonian Kara (as she tries to remember what she was like before) and Jimmy.  

Anyway, hope you like it. I don't yet know where it's going to end, but I've got a few more episodes mapped out.

Shadar

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, Agent00Soul, TwiceOnThursdays, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
21 Jun 2021 04:45 #71520 by jmg88
Replied by jmg88 on topic New storyline: Jimmy
You know I have always liked the idea that kara and jimmy were a couple in the comics, I don't know but they have as you say, chemistry... and you have made that possible with these new stories, thanks Shadar for giving kara a new one vision and a love interest.

More
21 Jun 2021 05:14 #71523 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New storyline: Jimmy
I haven't got around to reading these yet (work crunch) but I'm really looking forward to it).

This fits right into stories that I'd like to see more of. While I want Supergirl to be mostly above her trauma (not dark and angsty all the time), I want to see some of it, and some of her alien upbringing.

BTW: I'm not sure what (yet) to make of Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow the new Tom King comic (art is a nice, if you like that European Sci fi look). The setup is that Supergirl is now 21, and she goes to a planet with a Red Sun, so she wouldn't have powers .. .so she can get drunk as she's still got some un-dealt trauma in regards to Krypton. She wants to take a moment and be young and stupid. And from there trouble ensues. It's not the typical things you'd see from Supergirl.... and King does have a rep for both sometimes getting an interesting story and sometimes just straight-up murdering a character's portrayal. I don't know yet which this is going to be for Kara. IT was certainly a change of pace for a DC Super-Hero to purposely get drunk in a bar......

Anyway, looking forward to reading your story.

More
24 Jun 2021 13:34 #71572 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic New storyline: Jimmy
That has been a lot of fun so far. Well done!

More
27 Jun 2021 17:39 #71602 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New storyline: Jimmy
Sorry I failed to get Part 3 of the story up for the June 27th release, given I'm shooting for weekly.

RL slowed me down this week. Had one of my three beloved Labradors die unexpectedly. She was only 10 years old and the spark plug of the pack. And I'm an old sentimental fart when it comes to my doggles. 

But next week, Part 3 will be up for sure. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cerebasan

• shadar
More
28 Jun 2021 00:58 #71604 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic New storyline: Jimmy
Sorry for your loss. Take your time. Good story so far.

• Sarge395
More
28 Jun 2021 01:15 #71605 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic New storyline: Jimmy
sorry for your lose.

More
28 Jun 2021 01:18 #71606 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic New storyline: Jimmy
Lemme echo my condolences for the death  of your companion as well.  The cruel, unconcentric circles of life between us and our beloved animals… :(

elf

Sorry for your loss. Take your time. Good story so far.

More
28 Jun 2021 02:18 #71608 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New storyline: Jimmy
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone... short-lived dogs keep us humble and grateful for the time we had, and remind us that it's the moment that matters. They truly show us how to fully live in the moment. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
28 Jun 2021 03:00 #71609 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic New storyline: Jimmy
Condolences for your doggy. I bawled my eyes out when I lost my first one.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
28 Jun 2021 03:29 #71610 by Starfurys483
Replied by Starfurys483 on topic New storyline: Jimmy
Deeply sorry...

More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds