Amount

Learning to lift

07 Aug 2021 16:05 #72012 by slim36
Learning to lift was created by slim36

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, jyache, Markiehoe, reddofnonnac, eric328, kikass2014, Swe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slim36
  • slim36's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Aug 2021 18:47 #72015 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Learning to lift
That's why the power of flight/levitation is an absolutely essential requirement for using super strength, unless its merely squeezing something. Mega bear-hugs. Otherwise, she's gotta anchor herself some way. 

When I gave my Arions superstrength but not flight, they were terrifically limited compared to the flight-capable Velorians. They tried to make up for that with Tech and fighting techniques (closing in to wrestle, pheromones, etc.) but the difference in combat ability was extreme. 

A mistake on my part, in retrospect. The nearly unlimited ability to fly and levitate is such a GIGANTIC advantage, tactically. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad2, RD, BrokenIron

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Aug 2021 21:23 #72018 by anonxyzus
Replied by anonxyzus on topic Learning to lift
F=ma. Force = mass x acceleration.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Not to mention the coefficient of friction.

That's a problem I have run up against in writing the Janelle character in Kiraling. I handle it by trying to forget my college physics, hell, my high school physics, and hope no one will notice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
11 Aug 2021 23:17 #72071 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Learning to lift
Why not cheat the physics? Superman Flight as a power is just magic anyway with no basis in physics. Just have her lift the tank or comment on how the ground needs to be sturdy.

More
12 Aug 2021 05:27 #72075 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Learning to lift

Why not cheat the physics? Superman Flight as a power is just magic anyway with no basis in physics. Just have her lift the tank or comment on how the ground needs to be sturdy.
I think every author or artist has different approaches to "plausibility" in stories or picts. Some are Ok with magic or with "it just is". Others enjoy developing a pseudoscience foundation (which can sometimes get very involved) to explain superhuman things.   

Both are fine, and good stories can come from either camp, but I love the intersection of science fiction and comic superheroes, bound together with pseudoscience.

Shadar

The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays, Monty, BrokenIron

• shadar
More
14 Aug 2021 21:41 #72086 by AlbertC
Replied by AlbertC on topic Learning to lift
Magical Realism, just enjoy the story and keep going. In the end of the day is just to have fun
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds