Amount

Sucker Punch

28 Mar 2011 10:51 #22329 by davidelliot2000
Sucker Punch was created by davidelliot2000
Sorry
I think there may have been several threads about this movie, but I'm soo geeked after seeing it that I just had to do this.
There may not be much in the way of superstrenght outright but the super agility and stamina make it a feast for the eyes. But the story and how it's told make it tonic for the soul. I'ts the sort of thing that makes me proud to be an American, and part and party to Western Civilization, and Chivallry.
And no, there are no dashing young hardbody guys to save the day, that's part of what makes this one so cool.
Go see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr lazarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• davidelliot2000
  • davidelliot2000's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2011 10:52 #22364 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Re: Sucker Punch
The fact that people would rather go see Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 says volumes about this movie.

More
30 Mar 2011 13:22 #22368 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Sucker Punch

steelknight3000 wrote: The fact that people would rather go see Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 says volumes about this movie.

Quoted for truth.

More
30 Mar 2011 13:31 #22369 by rome
Replied by rome on topic Re: Sucker Punch
I didn't hate the movie; and I appreciated the fact that it had some depth instead of being mindless shlock like so many... but knowing what was happening in the movie's "real world" setting made it disturbing to me, I think other admirers of uber-girls might feel the same.

The fantasy fight scenes where well done, and visually beautiful. Mixing elements of steam punk, WWI, WWII, martial arts, sci-fi, and lots of gun and sword-play was unique, and the ladies where hot. And they kicked ass.

But knowing that Baby Doll is imagining all this cool stuff while being sexually abused (a/k/a "her mesmerizing dances") by demented hospital staff in the movie's "real world" took all the awesomeness out of the fantasy fight scenes. The title is very appropriate. I felt "Sucker Punched" by this juxtaposition. I don't think it deserved as poor of a review as it got. But I wouldn't give it a great review either.

I can see what Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 got the bigger audience. This is definitely not a kids movie, nor an upbeat one that makes you feel good at the end, or fulfilled. I found it dark, and draining.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr lazarus

More
30 Mar 2011 22:15 - 31 Mar 2011 23:12 #22382 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Sucker Punch

I can see what Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 got the bigger audience. This is definitely not a kids movie, nor an upbeat one that makes you feel good at the end, or fulfilled. I found it dark, and draining.

Yeah kids movies always do well, if not with the critics, then at least at the BO (think about it: families = a lot more ticket sales), because parents need to take their tykes somewhere; but since Sucker Punch is definitely not a kids movie, as rome said, the comparison is kind of meaningless. Actually, Sucker Punch should've been an R, but I'm guessing the film was toned down a bit to a PG-13 rating to attract more teens (this was done to increase profits, no doubt). It's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but it doesn't deserve all the hate it's been getting either. I'll admit that while it didn't live up to my expectations, I was still entertained, which is the only criterion I care about. I really don't give a crap what critics think, and I almost never read reviews before I see a film—unless it's a film I'm really on the fence about seeing, which Sucker Punch was not. You see, I view criticism as a rather lowly profession, as I save my respect for people who, you know, actually create stuff rather than those who just comment on it. However, here's a somewhat positive review by someone who I feel understands what Snyder was at least trying to do:

The twisted, stupid brilliance of "Sucker Punch"

I just felt I should add that I see a lot a movies, and going to the theater isn't that big of a deal for me. I'm single, have a flexible schedule, and I try to go to matinees when I can. I also rarely buy any snacks (I feel they are a distraction), so I save on that. Also, I'm kind of surrounded by movie theaters—all accessible either by walking or by public transportation—so I have a lot of choices, and don't have to travel far. I only bring this up because I realize that going to the movies for someone who lives out in the boonies, and is married and/or has a family, is a much more costly and taxing experience, so they have to choose their movies more carefully, and that's when I can understand where movie reviews might be useful.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans
Last edit: 31 Mar 2011 23:12 by dr lazarus. Reason: typos

More
31 Mar 2011 06:16 #22396 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Re: Sucker Punch
I believe, for me atleast, this is in second place of the worst movies I seen this year. "The Dilemma" is number 1 for worst movie. And I see a lot of movies. Sex\violince against kids strikes a cord with me that the rest of the what ever could be 4 stars, it would still be a POS movie to me. But hey thats just me.

More
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds