Amount

WB hires Wonder Woman film writer

06 Jun 2012 21:06 #27521 by AJF
Variety reported yesteday that William Beall has be hired by Warner Brothers Picture to write a Wonder Woman feature film. He helped write late year's lackluster Green Lantern film.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AJF
  • AJF's Avatar Topic Author
More
06 Jun 2012 23:05 #27522 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
This is nothing against William Beall, but I have absolutely no interest in a formulaic Hollywood Wonder Woman movie by this point. I'm probably exactly the kind of guy who should be getting a boner over this news. But meh.

More
07 Jun 2012 00:09 #27523 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
Word also is that a Justice League movie is under development too and has been since the Avengers was released.....blah, blah, blah....

ElF

More
07 Jun 2012 01:17 #27524 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
Can't find anything about William Beall on IMDB. He is not listed as a writer on the GL movie either.
What else has he done?

More
07 Jun 2012 01:26 #27525 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
Maybe I mispelled his name? Cinemablend.com has the story.

• AJF
  • AJF's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Jun 2012 06:57 #27528 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
Beall has been tapped to write a proposed Justice League movie. Michael Goldenberg has been tapped for the Wonder Woman script, and he's the one that worked on Green Lantern.

If they were smart, they would have a script written by the guy who just wrote and directed the biggest grossing movie of all time. Oh wait, they already fucked that one up.

- GeekSeven

More
07 Jun 2012 18:23 #27534 by lfan

geekseven wrote: If they were smart, they would have a script written by the guy who just wrote and directed the biggest grossing movie of all time. Oh wait, they already fucked that one up.

WB has an incredible knack for doing that...

More
07 Jun 2012 19:00 #27535 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer

yohashuan wrote: This is nothing against William Beall, but I have absolutely no interest in a formulaic Hollywood Wonder Woman movie by this point. I'm probably exactly the kind of guy who should be getting a boner over this news. But meh.

I feel the same way. I suppose I should be excited that there might be some movement on the WW movie front but we've heard this before and it has always fizzled out.

At this point, until we have an actress cast, and filming started, I will ignore any other "developments".
The following user(s) said Thank You: somat

More
07 Jun 2012 21:21 #27536 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
I won't give any final opinion until something more is known but, given the low quality of GL and the general history of this kind of projects, I'm skeptic.

More
08 Jun 2012 08:14 #27538 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
What really irritates me about this is that Joss Whedon had been pinned to write a WW movie initially and it was rejected. He writes and directs the Avengers film and its success is through the roof. My brother went to see it twice!

Seriously??!! He was RIGHT THERE!

More
08 Jun 2012 13:00 #27540 by Woodclaw

jnw550 wrote: What really irritates me about this is that Joss Whedon had been pinned to write a WW movie initially and it was rejected. He writes and directs the Avengers film and its success is through the roof. My brother went to see it twice!

Seriously??!! He was RIGHT THERE!

Same here.
The problem is that 9 executives out of 10 doesn't thrust Whedon with any kind of budget after Firefly. I really hope that he will get a little more credit now.

More
08 Jun 2012 21:10 #27541 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer
What was reported today is that a first peek at the draft script for the Justice League movie shows a dark vision of the characters that is supposedly nothing like what anyone would expect. Now that the writer is on board and being "guided" by the "wise" movie executives, who knows where it will go.

Given that DC heroes and heroines are too grounded and mellow and "nice" for modern young audiences, its a given that they'll have to darken things up and give the characters all kind of doubts and conflicts and rough edges. That's hard to do for Superman and Wonder Woman without destroying the characters, which is why I think they suffer on screen or their scripts die before being produced. Marvel characters are in general more "modern", meaning believable people who viewers can identify with.

For my money, give us a conflicted romance between Maxima and Superman, with him protecting life and Maxima kicking ass as is her nature, or maybe a Dark Knight and Wonder Woman romance where he's a bit out of control and she's trying to reform him.

Supes and WW really have to be paired with someone who colors outside the lines, otherwise the resulting pablum is only going to appeal to young children and true fans. You can't get to Avenger-grade numbers with just that audience.

In my mind, this is the essential issue.

Of course, a Dark Supergirl story would be the absolute best, where she has a good heart (but doesn't know it) and she's kicking ass and has a sexual life that's believable for a young woman in the 21s century. In other words, she uses all her powers, both feminine and muscular. In the end, she comes to realize that she has to become a force for good and not just blow the bad guys away. Maybe she's paired with Batman who works to gentle her, but the movie opens with lots of violence directed at warlords and dictators and the worst kind of criminals -- who die badly. Only slowly does she realize that extreme violence isn't the answer to violence. A gritty R-rated movie that focuses on the very large young adult category.

But I have no hope of seeing a studio with the guts to color that far outside the lines. Tone this one down to PG-13 to include the kiddies and you'd lose it.

So... I guess we'll just have to continue creating our own vision of an ubergirl, and watch Marvel heroes on the big screen. And continue hoping for a Captain Marvel or She-Hulk portrayal that knocks our socks off.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
08 Jun 2012 21:39 #27542 by lfan
What bothers me most probably is WB's track record of not being able to find their ass with a flashlight. As mentioned here, they HAD a Whedon script in their hands and they blew it off and then let him go over and write/direct the most successful superhero movie of all time! Brilliant!

Aside from Dark Knight, I think everyone can agree that WB does bad superhero movies. But what they do quite good is animated movies and TV. I mean really good! I mean "really good writing" good! So why the hell do they not use some of the creative teams on those videos or series to write the movies. people that know and respect the characters AND "get it"! Instead they give the reigns to -- according to Newsarama -- "hot" writer, Will Beall, who is SO hot his IMDB writing credits include episodes of Castle and three not-yet-released movies (and not one superhero among them). Cannot get much "hotter" than that I guess....

I think the DC direct-to-DVD releases are fantastic and the writing on Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice is fantastic (though this season on YJ has gone a little wonky). I just wish WB would not mess this up like I fear they are getting ready to do....

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

More
08 Jun 2012 23:03 #27544 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote: What bothers me most probably is WB's track record of not being able to find their ass with a flashlight. As mentioned here, they HAD a Whedon script in their hands and they blew it off and then let him go over and write/direct the most successful superhero movie of all time! Brilliant!

Aside from Dark Knight, I think everyone can agree that WB does bad superhero movies. But what they do quite good is animated movies and TV. I mean really good! I mean "really good writing" good! So why the hell do they not use some of the creative teams on those videos or series to write the movies. people that know and respect the characters AND "get it"! Instead they give the reigns to -- according to Newsarama -- "hot" writer, Will Beall, who is SO hot his IMDB writing credits include episodes of Castle and three not-yet-released movies (and not one superhero among them). Cannot get much "hotter" than that I guess....

I think the DC direct-to-DVD releases are fantastic and the writing on Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice is fantastic (though this season on YJ has gone a little wonky). I just wish WB would not mess this up like I fear they are getting ready to do....

ElF

Quoted for truth.
I think that's pprobabbly because WB didn't keep the animation team on such a short leash as they do with movie teams.
(PS I was a bit on the fence with Invasion, but the last couple of episodes shifted me to the Dark Side)

More
09 Jun 2012 17:51 #27549 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Re: WB hires Wonder Woman film writer

lfan wrote: What bothers me most probably is WB's track record of not being able to find their ass with a flashlight. As mentioned here, they HAD a Whedon script in their hands and they blew it off and then let him go over and write/direct the most successful superhero movie of all time! Brilliant!

ElF

Awesome post LFan.

I had never thought about the possibility of WB using the creative teams from their animated division. Obviously, neither have the geniuses at WB!

I've been renting out from the library the old Justice League and Justice League Unlimited DVDs for my kids to watch and I had forgotten how well done they are. They love them! They love Batman - Brave and the Bold too (a very underrated show IMHO).

As for the animated WW movie, I have not let them watch it yet. I think they are still too young to "get it" (i.e. some of the lines are more adult in nature...like when Steve Trevor is tied up with The Lasso of Truth and says that Princess Diana "has a nice rack"...I don't really want to explain to my six and three year old what he means) but it would make a great live action movie for young adults. It's all right there waiting for WB, all they have to do is grab it.

More
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds