Amount

Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?

07 Oct 2012 14:45 #28948 by AJF
Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2? was created by AJF
THe UK's Daily Mail is reporting that both UK actresses, Emliy Blunt and Ruth Wilson are being considered for the role of Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2.

Blunt was almost cast as the Black Widow in IronMan 2. Wilson is apeearing in Disney's upcoming Lone Ranger film.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AJF
  • AJF's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2012 16:09 #28949 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2 :D
She is my favorite female marvel character. Hopefully they won't screw her up, but they did a good job with the first Avengers so I have faith.

More
07 Oct 2012 19:50 #28951 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Well she was supposed to be in the first one (as a Shield Agent only, so before she was powered) but was cut, so they clearly want her in there somewhere.

I would expect her to appear in another film first before going into the Avengers though if only for a minute like Hawkeye did in Thor.

More
08 Oct 2012 14:37 - 08 Oct 2012 14:38 #28955 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Would be great news IMO (big surprise, huh?)! Assuming that the rumor IS true, who is everyone's dream choice for the role? Emily Blunt and Rose Wilson are both solid choices, but my favorite would be Chuck's Yvonne Strahovski:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 14:38 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Raa

More
08 Oct 2012 17:15 #28960 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Very interesting news, it'll be good if it's true.

Incidentally, in the Avenger cartoon series they make quite a bit about how powerful Ms. Marvel is (at one point she goes up against the hulk and holds her own). Let's hope they do the same in the film version.

More
08 Oct 2012 19:03 #28964 by sgfan05
Replied by sgfan05 on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Would be really cool. I had one fanfic idea on how she could have gotten her powers. IIRC Carol Danvers was a USAF pilot. So she and other planes deployed to New York when the Chictari attacked. She got too close to the Tessract portal and got zapped with the raw energy of the universe, resulting in Ms. Marvel.

More
08 Oct 2012 20:44 #28965 by lfan
Cool...would be easy way to tie her in....IF she is in there (and that's a big if), I would think she'd already be powered up. Unless they do some other origin like you suuggested, I cannot see them trying to incorporate the Kree/Captain Marvel story in there...

ElF

sgfan05 wrote: Would be really cool. I had one fanfic idea on how she could have gotten her powers. IIRC Carol Danvers was a USAF pilot. So she and other planes deployed to New York when the Chictari attacked. She got too close to the Tessract portal and got zapped with the raw energy of the universe, resulting in Ms. Marvel.

More
08 Oct 2012 23:37 #28968 by clipfreak
Replied by clipfreak on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
I'm not very familiar with the character, but if they include her I don't think they will make her as powerful like stated above. Because it will change the group dynamics radically. For example why do they need the HULK (or cap for that matter) if she is that strong.

Only scenario I can think of for including such a strong character is if they make HULK the badguy like in the animated movie a while back. If so that could supply some very cool scenes :).

Just looking at it from an pr/Hollywood perspective.

More
09 Oct 2012 04:20 #28974 by jimbob
Well what they should do is drop the Hulk. He's not a regular Avenger anyway. They won't, because everyone loved the Hulk in the film, but they should.

But power levels were pointless in the film because everyone was fighting easily defeated, but endless aliens anyway, so it didn't really matter that Thor and Hulk took them out in droves while Cap and Hawkeye had to pick them off one by one. And even Loki only lasted a few seconds against the Hulk (granted he'd already been beaten by Thor and exploded by Hawkeye previously).

Thor never struggled in battle at all in either his film nor the Avengers, but aside from when he was able to stalemate the Hulk you probably wouldn't realize how strong he is, because all he does is blow up aliens.

So even if Ms Marvel shows up she'll probably just fly around shooting stuff, because the films aren't so much as epic fights (most battles are over in under a minute) but more about the characters.

More
09 Oct 2012 08:54 #28975 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?

jimbob wrote: Well what they should do is drop the Hulk. He's not a regular Avenger anyway. They won't, because everyone loved the Hulk in the film, but they should.

Why?

True the Hulk it's not a regular Avenger in the comics, but I think that in the movie it works well. The movies aren't meant to be a 100% faithful representation of the comics, but rather an adaptation that takes the key element and move them in a direction that is different, yet close enough.
Based on your reasoning the following elements doesn't make sense:
  • Howard Stark appearence in First Avenger, he was never part of Project Reborn.
  • The origin of the Leader and Abomination in Hulk, neither is coherent with the comic book version
  • Hogun lacking moustace in thor
  • Jane Foster being a physicist instead of a physician
  • and son on

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Oct 2012 23:33 #28987 by jimbob
Yes but the Hulk's whole thing is about how he's an difficult to control loner, who tries to do the right thing despite the world fearing him.

Putting him onto the Avengers kind of ruins that, where he's just around to hit things and occasionally be a problem. Hulk didn't work out as an Avenger. That was kind of the whole point of him being there. An occasional ally maybe, but not him hanging out with them all the time.

It annoyed me in EMH too where the Hulk was just lounging around to occasionally pop up and smash stuff. I was glad when they removed him from the time for most of the second season.

Getting rid of him would allow a spot for Avengers that should be on the team instead, like Antman, or Panther, or.... well Ms Marvel.

More
10 Oct 2012 00:43 #28988 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
The Hulk needed to be in the first Avengers. I personally believe Ant Man and Wasp should have been there too for the same reason. With Thor and Iron Man, they were the first Avengers team. Cap A, Hawkeye and BW were not part of the first team.

Add to the movie a leggy blonde like Sarha from Chuck. :)

More
10 Oct 2012 01:11 #28990 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Relevant? EnjiNight as Ms. Marvel...

enjinight.deviantart.com/art/Ms-Marvel-cosplay-331424139

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
10 Oct 2012 02:10 #28992 by jnw550
Replied by jnw550 on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Guys, and gals, any of the movies you've seen in which the credits involve Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury is following the canon of Marvel Ultimate Avengers. NOT the original Avengers.

Even then, Hollywood is going to take some liberties to appeal to a wide audience. They have to make money, too.

B)

More
10 Oct 2012 09:20 #28994 by jimbob
I guess much like Wolverine and the X-men Cap was too iconic an Avenger to not be in the first film, even though he wasn't initially an Avenger. People are usually surprised when I point that out. Though it wasn't quite as bad, because Cap did join early on (first joining Avenger who wasn't part of the initial line up) unlike Wolverine who wasn't in the X-men for years.

Hawkeye and Widow I suspect were added, solely because they didn't require much introduction, let alone a film. They're agents of Shield, they work for Fury they have no powers that require explaination. The end. You couldn't throw say, Ant-man in there like Hawkeye was without it looking rushed.

More
10 Oct 2012 09:22 #28995 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?

jimbob wrote: Yes but the Hulk's whole thing is about how he's an difficult to control loner, who tries to do the right thing despite the world fearing him.

Putting him onto the Avengers kind of ruins that, where he's just around to hit things and occasionally be a problem. Hulk didn't work out as an Avenger. That was kind of the whole point of him being there. An occasional ally maybe, but not him hanging out with them all the time.

True, but I think there's one major difference between the comic book Avengers and the movie Avengers. The movie team is not a fixed and stable organization like they counterpart. The movie Avengers are more a bunch of semi-loose cannons put together by a dangerous situation, none of them is really able to fit-in with the rest of the world. Cap is a living anachronism, Thor pretty much an alien, Widow and Hawkeye are professional assassins, Stark pretty much incarnates the too-rich-to-be-adjusted kind of guy.
Granted, Hulk is even less able to fit-in than any of them, but it's not that much of a stretch as it would be in the comics.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Oct 2012 14:43 - 10 Oct 2012 14:44 #28996 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
but the real question that is on everybody's lips is

Who owns the Avengers

uk.movies.yahoo.com/does-disney-really-own-the-avengers-.html

fats
Last edit: 10 Oct 2012 14:44 by fats.

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Oct 2012 15:37 - 10 Oct 2012 15:40 #28998 by lfan
Stan Lee Media, IMO, is a buncha opportunists who have no creative outlet other than to sue people for royalties. I believe the head guy actually went to prison for fraud or something. Heck, Stan Lee himself even had to sue them!

This is a case I think they'll never win...I dunno how they can say they have claim to the characters when Lee never really did.

Also, it's important to point out that Stan Lee himself is not party to this suit, just SLM...and also (pointed out incorrectly), Disney didn't buy Marvel from Lee for $4B -- I don't think Stan Lee owned Marvel :P

ElF
Last edit: 10 Oct 2012 15:40 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
10 Oct 2012 17:38 #29002 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?
Oh man. Comic patent trolling?

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
10 Oct 2012 18:19 #29004 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2?

lfan wrote: Heck, Stan Lee himself even had to sue them!

ElF

Seems like he might have to again.

Off Topic: Bottom line copyright and most importantly trademark protection needs to be re-considered – it’s gone too far too long. On principle it is why I left the fake/second “Bionica” people alone when they used the PSW original name for their series. I wasn’t thrilled – but whatever. The goal of keeping people from creating knock off products and selling them on the good reputation of others was a noble one – but it has gone too far and stifles creativity and favors crony protectionism.

On topic: A Ms. Marvel with a quality looking costume and a solid even if brief story/introduction would make me interested. The last run of Ms Marvel was actually the first Marvel graphic novel I purchased and enjoyed. I used to be "DC only" – but now (for reasons mentioned in the other thread about the WB) I’m finding my allegiance is changing and my mind is opening. One ticket please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldHarmonyMotion

More
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds