Amount

Marvel: what superheroines may come?

23 Sep 2013 21:33 #33170 by fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: hunterbr2001

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Sep 2013 21:47 #33171 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers for sure... its about time Marvel explored their one superheroine who fills the classic Supergirl space, but still fits nicely in with the Avengers. She can have human experiences (even go undercover) as well as hold her own in kick-ass fights at the Iron Man level. I think she's listed as being able to lift 70 tons and is completely bulletproof. Flying is no longer a difficult special effect for studios that have done Iron Man movies.

She-Hulk, Thundra, Valkyrie, etc. are all too extreme or exotic looking to portray without using the reverse version of Peter Jackson's Hobbit filming techniques. They are all about 7 feet tall and ridiculously built. No human could portray them reasonably. Closest would be an extreme bodybuilder, but that won't fly for the general audience. Naturally, of those three, Valkyrie would be my favorite. Other than being really tall, she's cut from more the fitness model mold.

No interest in Scarlett Witch, Black Widow, etc.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats, SCOTT R

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
23 Sep 2013 21:56 #33172 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
I once came to a conclusion:

If you where to think about it-the most cinematic marvel superhero(man or woman) is Squirrel Girl.

The central conceit of her heroes journey is that no one believes her-she is an utter joke. But at the same time she is the most powerful character- because her ultimate power is faith. No one believes in her but she believes in herself. It letters her defeat everyone who challenges her, despite her only power is being able to talk to squirrels. So when others underestimate her she uses that to in some stories to literally do what Joseph Campbell called the ultimate aspect of story: overcome death.

Part of this is she is a woman, that she is a girl, and she does look like a dork, that she has pets, and friends-she is a heavily feminized character in the traditional sense.

But she Believes in herself-and letting it overcome all obstacles. And that could make a really good movie.

As for the list: ehh ms marvel will probabbly get her own movie at some point. As for marvel thats about it. Not a great list either I don't think in a million years you will see a Squirel Girl movie. To silly. To Comic. Ahh well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

More
23 Sep 2013 22:48 #33173 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
Fuck me....Squirrel Girl? really? You mean the ugly flat chested girl from 80's comics who's mutant ability was that she could control squirrels....(Face Palm!)

More
23 Sep 2013 23:24 #33175 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?

d_k_c wrote: Fuck me....Squirrel Girl? really? You mean the ugly flat chested girl from 80's comics who's mutant ability was that she could control squirrels....(Face Palm!)

While her powers are still ridicolous,most modern day depiction of Squirrel Girl go down the cute nerd route. She's not meant to be hot, but she has come a long way.

More
24 Sep 2013 05:19 - 24 Sep 2013 05:23 #33177 by castor

Anon wrote:

d_k_c wrote: Fuck me....Squirrel Girl? really? You mean the ugly flat chested girl from 80's comics who's mutant ability was that she could control squirrels....(Face Palm!)

While her powers are still ridicolous,most modern day depiction of Squirrel Girl go down the cute nerd route. She's not meant to be hot, but she has come a long way.

Squirrel Girl was created by Steven Ditko, creator of Spiderman, as i want to say the last thing he did for Marvel. She wasn't from the 80s but the 90s and was a very delibrate kind of response to Spawn and 90s antiheros. But the design of the classic stuff has kind of cartoony stuff-but anon is right does do a much better job of finding a character who has a kind of geek bueaty.

And critiquing her for being flat chested? Not Cool Bro, and i will call you on that.

I think a little bit of the reluctance to make superwoman films is the idea that its just selling inhuman sexuality. Disney doesn't want to make a film where people roll there eyes. Thats the classic view of comics-just adolesent fantasy in its most 13th sence.

What i want to see on screen is a strong female character-in every sence of the word Strong. And i don't care about her bra size-its irelevent, and sexist-if there any good there is something beyond her measurments.If the only reason she is strong is just to carry all that weight on her front what is the point.

This is not to say she can't be sexy, have a sex life, and have facets etc-but don't only critique that.

If you don't want to see Squirrel girl because shes silly? Yes very silly character.

You dismiss her because of her breasts no that i think is wrong sir. That i think is wrong.

Castor
Last edit: 24 Sep 2013 05:23 by castor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, fats

More
24 Sep 2013 08:46 #33178 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
Dear Squirrel Girl, please accept my sincerest apologies for calling your fictional breasts too small. I have been told that it's because of people like me, that you've decided to spend so much time living with Squirrels. Ultimately, its not your fault God had Ditko draw you and not a someone like Mcfarlane. Please, accept this link as a token of my apology.

ca.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_....jI/UUC&fr=yfp-t-715

More
24 Sep 2013 09:11 #33179 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?

castor wrote: Squirrel Girl was created by Steven Ditko, creator of Spiderman, as i want to say the last thing he did for Marvel. She wasn't from the 80s but the 90s and was a very delibrate kind of response to Spawn and 90s antiheros. But the design of the classic stuff has kind of cartoony stuff-but anon is right does do a much better job of finding a character who has a kind of geek bueaty.

And critiquing her for being flat chested? Not Cool Bro, and i will call you on that.

I think a little bit of the reluctance to make superwoman films is the idea that its just selling inhuman sexuality. Disney doesn't want to make a film where people roll there eyes. Thats the classic view of comics-just adolesent fantasy in its most 13th sence.

What i want to see on screen is a strong female character-in every sence of the word Strong. And i don't care about her bra size-its irelevent, and sexist-if there any good there is something beyond her measurments.If the only reason she is strong is just to carry all that weight on her front what is the point.

This is not to say she can't be sexy, have a sex life, and have facets etc-but don't only critique that.

If you don't want to see Squirrel girl because shes silly? Yes very silly character.

You dismiss her because of her breasts no that i think is wrong sir. That i think is wrong.

Castor

I have to disagree with you, Castor, on one count: iI don't think that Squirrel Girl will be a good choice for the first Marvel superheroine flick.

I have to main reasons for this: first of all she's a rather hard character to sell - in a team contest she's great, providing a much needed comic relief and a rather different point of view on many counts - but as a solo character I have a hard time to see her measuring up to some of her male colleagues; on second count, she's a deliberatly silly character which makes her much harder to write - while all the Avengers Phase 1 movie so far had some silly bits, they were not comedies - making people laugh is a much harder job.

Maybe after seeing what they will do with Rocket Racoon and the promised Ant-man movie I might change my opinion, but right now I think that she's not a prime candidate to be the trailblazer for digging Marvel heroines out of obscurity.

More
24 Sep 2013 09:18 #33180 by supian
Replied by supian on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
Squirrel girl! 'kin ell castor! :laugh:

More
24 Sep 2013 09:54 #33181 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
I see that it forgot to mention Gamora, the "Deadliest Woman in the Universe". She should be in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie next fall.

More
24 Sep 2013 14:46 #33183 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
I think the most likely scenario for a female-led vehicle is probably either Black Widow or Captain Marvel? Both would be "launched" or introduced via the Avengers franchise and both are strong enough characters to carry a movie although each would be very different probably (Black Widow being a more Bond-esque, Salt type of movie rather than straight superhero fare).

Unfortunately the others like Valkyrie, She-Hulk, Tigra, Squirrel Girl, Invisible Woman suffer from varoius issues such as not well-known enough (Squirrel Girl), too similar to existing characters (Valkyrie = Sif), too much part of an assemble cast (Invisible Woman) or too risky/expensive leap into CGI (She-Hulk and Tigra) for an "experiment".

One lesser known character that would be make a great movie would be Jewel/Jessica Jones who has gone through a tumultuous life up to her point of being a private investigator. It was in development as a series but fell thru. Another advantage of this would be the ability to introduce Luke Cage in it.

Finally, another possiblity in my mind would be Collen Wing and Misty Knight as detectives/investigators. Again, not straight over-the-top superheroine fare, but cast in their universe.

Personally, I am hoping for Ms Marvel....

ElF

More
24 Sep 2013 18:18 #33184 by Berkhart
Replied by Berkhart on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?

lfan wrote:
Finally, another possiblity in my mind would be Collen Wing and Misty Knight as detectives/investigators. Again, not straight over-the-top superheroine fare, but cast in their universe.

Personally, I am hoping for Ms Marvel....

ElF

I'd totally be down with a "Heroes For Hire" TV series!

Mmmmm, and now that I think of it, I'd love to see a super powered Colleen Wing :)

More
24 Sep 2013 22:09 #33186 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
How is this even a choice? The obvious answer is Ms. Marvel, all the others come in a distant second.

More
25 Sep 2013 15:12 #33193 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Marvel: what superheroines may come?
GREAT article by Kelly Thompson over at CBR regarding superheroine movie ideas. Some sound logic here:

goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/0...-your-consideration/

ElF

More
26 Sep 2013 03:55 #33202 by castor

lfan wrote: GREAT article by Kelly Thompson over at CBR regarding superheroine movie ideas. Some sound logic here:

goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/0...-your-consideration/

ElF

Good Article. Lot of intresting ideas.

I will say. Producers get on it!

By which i mean the filmmakers on this forum.

I think i have said this to a couple of people on here before indivudally but will say with the group-most of these little superheroine videos people shoot-big feature length movies often don't have as much special effects as some of these. Slight exageration but not that much.

You kind of make these videos to the people who read-but there is some truth that if x people are willing to pay 10 dollars for a 10 minute movie, 10x+++ will pay 10.00 for a 90 minute movies-as will real distributors to. I have seen versions of this articles on mainstream websites-there is a market out there. A demand. We want to see action. women want to see action. You can do.

Work it out-figure out the kinks. Work out plots. Write a full length script.3 acts. Find good actresses.

All of the videos i have seen here, all of them have real passion and desire. They work out there ideas well. This is something i don't alway see in 100 million dollar blockbusters. There is the talent here to make something big here. And you don't have to be Disney, or warners brothers or anyone to make it. Just you.

Castor

More
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds