Amount

The Machine (New Movie For Bionic Fans?)

27 Apr 2014 00:03 #36292 by Random321
The Machine (New Movie For Bionic Fans?) was created by Random321
Just ran across this on Hulu: www.hulu.com/watch/606362
Surprised no bionic fans have mentioned this yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL, slim36

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Random321
  • Random321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
27 Apr 2014 07:21 #36296 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic The Machine (New Movie For Bionic Fans?)
It's been mentioned before in "Upcoming film: The Machine' in the Superwomen in the movies category. A synopsis I read states she destroys everything and everyone in her way in a "spectacular fashion"......NICE!!!

More
27 Apr 2014 08:33 - 27 Apr 2014 08:33 #36297 by skate79
Replied by skate79 on topic The Machine (New Movie For Bionic Fans?)
There's a little something for everyone in this one: lots of superstrength, plenty of violence dished out against the hopelessly outmatched men she faces off against and possibly the best representation of invulnerability I've seen in a live action movie – dozens of shots of gunfire bouncing off her impenetrable skin. The lead actress is gorgeous too, with an incredibly toned, lithely muscular physique and what's more, she spends a substantial portion of the film undressed :)
Last edit: 27 Apr 2014 08:33 by skate79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL

More
27 Apr 2014 20:12 #36299 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic The Machine (New Movie For Bionic Fans?)
Published on Mar 19, 2014

A Behind the Scenes look at the new film The Machine, directed by Caradog W James. Featuring interviews with the Director, the Producer (John Giwa-Amu) and the stars, Toby Stephens, Caity Lotz, Denis Lawson and Pooneh Hajimohammedi, as well as an in-depth look into the creation of the special effects in the movie.

Category

possible spoiler
Caity Lotz did her own stunts

More
09 Oct 2014 21:38 #38465 by j2001
Replied by j2001 on topic The Machine (New Movie For Bionic Fans?)
Great stuff, ran across it on Amazon.
The plot is Blade Runner-ish and not very original as it is, but the acting is good as is the direction. Owes a lot to Ghost in The Shell.
Weird soundtrack, with electronic/techno tracks that do remind of the seventies.
Effects are good and the whole "underground" thing allowed the crew to avoid wasting money on locations.

Caity Lotz, who is also the Black Canary on Arrow, sports her muscular body (toned shoulders and back, body to die for overall) and kicks a lotta asses while retaining her cute, girly charm. As you already said, bullets bounces off her like flower petals.
The ending is super weird and not what you might expect, very dry and mature (which doesn't mean nasty).

More
10 Oct 2014 01:10 #38467 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The Machine (New Movie For Bionic Fans?)
I mostly agree with this quick review. Beyond that, I didn't find it to be a particularly compelling exploration of what a truly "human" artificial intelligence would be like. I think its unlikely (darn it!) that human-like AI would start off in gorgeous super-powered female killer robots, although the 'super-soldier' story line kinds of gets here by a variety of paths.

I think the Blade Runner future vision is more likely than this one (androids that have specialized features to do work that humans don't want to do), but it's even more likely we'll see true AI intelligence distributed such that it controls various devices and machines in our homes and factories or hospitals (wouldn't robotic nurses be nice during an Ebola epidemic).

Also the meme that says the government has hyper-advanced tech buried in old missile bunkers or whatever is silly. If human-like AI ever exists, it will be the product of a tech industry that finds a way to make money off it. I suspect AI soldiers to fight hand-to-hand on a battlefield is unlikely to be an early (if ever) application. Companions for the elderly will probably come first.

But, others may find that this movie is exactly your cup of tea. I suppose lots of outcomes are possible when it comes to the inevitable development of human-like AI. But other than then obvious advantages to Hollywood, I'm not sure what is gained by starting off with machines that pretend to be humans, both physically and mentally.

The movie SHE (a version of Siri on your phone that passes the Turing test) is far more likely but way less fun than super-powered female androids.

j2001 wrote: Great stuff, ran across it on Amazon.
The plot is Blade Runner-ish and not very original as it is, but the acting is good as is the direction. Owes a lot to Ghost in The Shell.
Weird soundtrack, with electronic/techno tracks that do remind of the seventies.
Effects are good and the whole "underground" thing allowed the crew to avoid wasting money on locations.

Caity Lotz, who is also the Black Canary on Arrow, sports her muscular body (toned shoulders and back, body to die for overall) and kicks a lotta asses while retaining her cute, girly charm. As you already said, bullets bounces off her like flower petals.
The ending is super weird and not what you might expect, very dry and mature (which doesn't mean nasty).

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds