Amount

How do we bring the female characters to light more?

19 Jun 2014 19:40 #36868 by lfan
Not my words, though I agree 100%! That was a quote from Diane Nelson, the DC Entertainment president in a recent shareholders meeting. Encouraging though still an upwards climb that probably hinges on the success of Lucy (a pseudo superheroine-driven movie) this Fall and more importantly how well Wonder Woman is received in Dark Justice. Still, its nice to speculate....in fact, CBR already does it for us: www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53535

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Jun 2014 00:01 #36876 by bionicskillz
Replied by bionicskillz on topic How do we bring the female characters to light more?
I don't think "we" can. Majority of women don't like violent content or stories where they settle conflicts by punching people out. Just my opinion.

More
20 Jun 2014 00:38 #36877 by castor

bionicskillz wrote: I don't think "we" can. Majority of women don't like violent content or stories where they settle conflicts by punching people out. Just my opinion.

Well not with that attitude we won't.

*shrugs*

Studies have shown that superhero movies do very well with female audiences(they make something like 47% of audiences), comics don't do baddy(though the comic industry is pretty small these days). There are plenty of areas of fandom and Sci Fi where women dominate. So..i donno. Try.

DC Comics try-more then marvel for example they do a lot of stuff with books aimed at young children, some of which from experience are cute. As for there adult stuff...agian they try but tend to do something really ailienating and umbredge taking every year or so in that regard(art contest to draw Dead Harley Quinn. check make condesending remarks about there one lesbian title check). Yet at the end of the day pretty much most of the top female characters from Comics Are from DC-even if the Modern DC house style for stories can be very hit and miss.

As for us. I donno. I don't feel ashamed about any story i have written here. Yes there Sometimes Violent, ocasionally very sexual, i never think i have written nor intend to write a story to deman women, in a peril way or in general. I try to create female protaginists.Who are complex and deep. I try to emphasis them as human beings with wants and desires, but also fears, and complex relationships with there strengths and weakness- i haven't had any women to me offended by my stories-though who knows.

Actually Fats and LFAN-thats one area you could work on-try to push the site to more female audiences- i think in general people would be surpised how likable this kind of stuff-maybe not for the mainstream or huge numbers but if you can find ways to push out its audiences you could be suprised and delighted.

More
Time to create page: 0.039 seconds