Amount

First Lucy Clip

09 Jul 2014 20:29 #37215 by lfan
First Lucy Clip was created by lfan
Much of this is in the trailers but here is a first look at a scene from Lucy:

www.askmen.com/news/entertainment/scarle...nnson-lucy-clip.html

ElF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Jul 2014 21:10 #37216 by Caylane
Replied by Caylane on topic First Lucy Clip
Looks really great so far! But I have to wonder, sorry if I kill the whole point but now its on my mind.

The drug gives her complete access of her brain over time if I'm not mistaken, she can clearly be hurt it looks like, but obviously she felt no pain. This is somewhat confusing to me because as much as we all hate pain, it is in fact necessary. Pain is there to honestly protect you, because without it you wouldnt know when you're sick or injured, if you put your hand on a stove and didnt feel it, you wouldnt do something like jerk away instantly and could suffer a serious burn, or worse. Know when a bone is broken or in fact being shot in a vital organ.

More
09 Jul 2014 21:54 #37217 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic First Lucy Clip

Caylane wrote: Looks really great so far! But I have to wonder, sorry if I kill the whole point but now its on my mind.

The drug gives her complete access of her brain over time if I'm not mistaken, she can clearly be hurt it looks like, but obviously she felt no pain. This is somewhat confusing to me because as much as we all hate pain, it is in fact necessary. Pain is there to honestly protect you, because without it you wouldnt know when you're sick or injured, if you put your hand on a stove and didnt feel it, you wouldnt do something like jerk away instantly and could suffer a serious burn, or worse. Know when a bone is broken or in fact being shot in a vital organ.

Pain is necessary to us limited mortals because it is how we know to respond to events that are harmful. Somebody with a hyper-evolved intellect, able to operate at a level normal humans cannot conceive, might be able to easily recognize physical harm without needing to feel the overwhelming sensation of pain. Even if that's not true, somebody with superhuman capabilities would likely be able to ignore pain and work through it without it registering in any outwardly visible way. Indeed, a lot of athletic and military training is explicitly how to keep working when in severe pain without letting it hinder you in doing what you have to do. That is a purely mortal human ability, no reason to imagine somebody gifted with superhuman abilities couldn't equal or better it if she needed to.

More
09 Jul 2014 22:00 #37219 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic First Lucy Clip

Jabbrwock wrote:

Caylane wrote: Looks really great so far! But I have to wonder, sorry if I kill the whole point but now its on my mind.

Pain is necessary to us limited mortals because it is how we know to respond to events that are harmful. Somebody with a hyper-evolved intellect, able to operate at a level normal humans cannot conceive, might be able to easily recognize physical harm without needing to feel the overwhelming sensation of pain. Even if that's not true, somebody with superhuman capabilities would likely be able to ignore pain and work through it without it registering in any outwardly visible way. Indeed, a lot of athletic and military training is explicitly how to keep working when in severe pain without letting it hinder you in doing what you have to do. That is a purely mortal human ability, no reason to imagine somebody gifted with superhuman abilities couldn't equal or better it if she needed to.

Actually not feeling pain it would be a major disadvantage for someone. There are people in the real world that lack the ability to feel pain, who end up biting off their own toungue or snapping multiple bones because they can feel the strain on their muscles.
Not feeling pain is actually a major drawback.

More
09 Jul 2014 23:06 #37220 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic First Lucy Clip
Not when it's your choice not to feel pain. I mean...samurai trained for years to master pain. And. Read somewhere that she has made a conscious choice not to feel pain.

More
10 Jul 2014 00:18 #37222 by castor
Replied by castor on topic First Lucy Clip
Curious in general about this. Got in some online discussions about this movie on other sites. curious what people think of it this and the trailer.

some points

1. Some say the trailer is racist-for the do you "speak english scene?". To me it reads as a little bit yeah. But Not american racist.

2. In general lucy comes across as very socipathic and unlikable even those scenes which like that come pretty early in the movie.

3. A lot of people don't necessairly like Luc Besson, but thats a seperate thing.

i get that this probably antiheroine movie-but what do people think. In general as a peice of Science Fiction it looks intresting. but this is a forum to ask it. Particularly to those people in Europe, as this does look mad european to me in tone..

castor

More
10 Jul 2014 01:36 #37223 by Dru1076
I think the guy she shot was one of the bad guys, or at least worked for them. I'm assuming that the building she's held captive in is the depot for the taxi drivers she approaches on leaving. I doubt she's just randomly shooting every Asian man she doesn't need.

More
10 Jul 2014 02:32 #37225 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic First Lucy Clip

Woodclaw wrote:

Jabbrwock wrote:

Actually not feeling pain it would be a major disadvantage for someone. There are people in the real world that lack the ability to feel pain, who end up biting off their own toungue or snapping multiple bones because they can feel the strain on their muscles.
Not feeling pain is actually a major drawback.

Once again, mere mortals. The entire purpose of this site is to discuss women who are far more than that. Our minds cannot reliably process a simple awareness of "This experience is causing physical damage to my body. I should avoid repeating this experience if possible," without the very simple and overriding stimulus of "Ow! That hurts!" to make it stick. That is a relic of our instinct-driven animal nature, which our minds have not outgrown.

There is absolutely no reason to imagine that somebody with a super-evolved brain would have this limitation. At least, no more reason than there is to imagine that she would be similarly unable to throw tanks around, fly, or shoot laser beams out of her eyes. Such a person would have a full awareness of just how much damage her body is taking, probably in more detail than "Ow! That hurts!" tells mere mortals, without having an experience that would really qualify as pain. She wouldn't need pain to send the message. She would be hyper-intelligent enough to be aware of the condition of her entire body without demanding that any part of her body drown out conscious thought by essentially yelling at her to pay attention.

I repeat: not feeling pain is a drawback for mere mortals. Who are not really the typical subjects of discussion on this site. For superwomen, not feeling pain could be a terrible drawback, a useful adaptation, or a simple fact of life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Grayface

More
10 Jul 2014 03:24 #37226 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic First Lucy Clip
If you really want to kill all the fun, then this "humans only use a tiny fraction of their brain" statement is just complete nonsense. We use all of our brain, just not all at the same time. Different parts of the brain do different things.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
10 Jul 2014 03:34 #37227 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic First Lucy Clip

If you really want to kill all the fun, then this "humans only use a tiny fraction of their brain" statement is just complete nonsense. We use all of our brain, just not all at the same time. Different parts of the brain do different things.

That's the kicker, thanks for mentioning it. I was about to say so myself, we all use 100% of our brains.

More
10 Jul 2014 03:38 #37228 by Dru1076
I'm always willing to buy into cliches and blatant bullshit when it comes to making a movie like this! I hope it doesn't get panned too much, or it could be a while before we see something like this again. As far as I'm concerned, if I want facts and reality I'll watch a documentary. I don't think that this is supposed to be a doco, though... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe

More
10 Jul 2014 03:40 #37229 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic First Lucy Clip

steelknight3000 wrote:

That's the kicker, thanks for mentioning it. I was about to say so myself, we all use 100% of our brains.

We play in a forum where we celebrate a woman balancing a mountain on her pinky, and this is what we're going to have a problem with?

More
10 Jul 2014 03:59 #37230 by oldHarmonyMotion

Dru1076 wrote: I'm always willing to buy into cliches and blatant bullshit when it comes to making a movie like this! I hope it doesn't get panned too much, or it could be a while before we see something like this again. As far as I'm concerned, if I want facts and reality I'll watch a documentary. I don't think that this is supposed to be a doco, though... ;)

Yeah don't get me wrong. I am hugely looking forward to this.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
10 Jul 2014 03:59 #37231 by oldHarmonyMotion

www1969 wrote:

steelknight3000 wrote:

We play in a forum where we celebrate a woman balancing a mountain on her pinky, and this is what we're going to have a problem with?

missed the point

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
10 Jul 2014 05:24 #37232 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic First Lucy Clip
OK, so they need a plot device to give her super powers. What writer or reader on this site is not familiar with that? It is true that people only use about 10% of the cognitive portion of their brains. So let me take a guess at the plot. The bad guys kidnap her and force the drug on her against her will to test it out. It works better than anticipated, but they think they have her under control. She is pissed and escapes and wants to find out who did this to her and why and she wants to get even. Lots of CGI effects later, we will find out. I think this will be one of those movies that I know exactly where it is going, but think I will enjoy the ride.

I have seen the trailer and I want to see it the weekend it come out. It has to better than "Catwoman!"

More
10 Jul 2014 07:14 #37233 by crazyfck
Replied by crazyfck on topic First Lucy Clip
I just wonder if we are watching scenes from the beginning, the middle or the end of the movie. most hollywood movies of this kind, end with the character having complete control of the environment, like Matrix or Limitless, usually giving a wink to the camera before the credits. it is very hard to continue a story with an omnipotent character

The scenes give an impression that is an origin kind of story, but then that she is a tticking time bomb (until she reaches the 100% of the plot device), so it is hard to tell what's the direction of this movie.

If these scenes are the whole movie (all the money shots), it will be a bad movie. Probably one that both, besson and johansson regretted to make, retorting to put the ending in the trailer. Let's hope that is not the case and that her transformation is just the beginning. But I wouldn't put too much hope.

More
10 Jul 2014 07:27 #37234 by Lulu
Replied by Lulu on topic First Lucy Clip
Whoa...there is already a huge discussion for this movie going on here. Thats cool, but me for my part, will wait until the full movie is out. I think I can much better think and discuss about logical flaws or mistakes or also good things going on in the movie after seeing complete. So I'm looking forward to the movie, but don't expect to much to be honest.

More
10 Jul 2014 13:04 #37238 by smoki07
Replied by smoki07 on topic First Lucy Clip
Whatever, this films will be great for our perpectives, but i must point out a major topic: Crazyfck is alive. ALIVE!!!!! lol Seriously, where have you been? No more update of stories, no new ones on this site or others. I thought you left community!

More
10 Jul 2014 16:37 #37241 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic First Lucy Clip

crazyfck wrote: If these scenes are the whole movie (all the money shots), it will be a bad movie. Probably one that both, besson and johansson regretted to make, retorting to put the ending in the trailer. Let's hope that is not the case and that her transformation is just the beginning. But I wouldn't put too much hope.

I hope you are 100% wrong, but I tend to agree with you in that they might have "jumped the shark" with the stuff being shown in the trailers. One of my pet peeves these days is all the promotion of new releases to the point where if you combine all the trailers, TV spots, behind-the scenes featurettes, and exclusive sneak peeks, you have seen about 50% of the whole movie. Not to mention that it semi-ruins my movie watching experience cause I'm waiting for certain "clips" to happen while I'm watching in the theater. Of course, if I had self-control, I suppose I could not watch the clips, but what fun would that be? :P

ElF

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Jul 2014 18:32 #37242 by DarinSatre
Replied by DarinSatre on topic First Lucy Clip
I've had mixed feelings about this movie from the beginning, and the more I see of it, the more I suspect I won't like it. The trailer already gave me concerns and this scene pretty much settles it.

Now, knowing me, and the interest we all have in such things, I'm sure I'll see it just like all the rest of you, but I really don't think it's shaping up to be good.

I have no problem with the suspension of disbelief around the whole "100% of your brain" thing. Yeah it's wrong, but I can work with that within the context of the movie, and having virtually godlike powers because you can "access it all" now was part of the discussion ever since that pseudo-science first started passing around. So conceptually I'm all on board there. My problem is more with how they seem to be shaping up the plot. They definitely seem to be going straight for the "she becomes more evil as she becomes more powerful" angle, which I've always found distasteful and is by far the most common and easiest way to do this.

Of course, I know that's not as much of an issue to some people on here so I'm sure plenty of others will enjoy it. :)

More
10 Jul 2014 20:12 #37243 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic First Lucy Clip
"They definitely seem to be going straight for the "she becomes more evil as she becomes more powerful" angle, which I've always found distasteful and is by far the most common and easiest way to do this."

???

Could you provide references to these commonalities? I wouldn't mind checking them out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
10 Jul 2014 21:47 #37244 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic First Lucy Clip

DarinSatre wrote: My problem is more with how they seem to be shaping up the plot. They definitely seem to be going straight for the "she becomes more evil as she becomes more powerful" angle, which I've always found distasteful and is by far the most common and easiest way to do this.

I wouldn't consider her evil, but rather amoral. In the sense that she does what she does without fully realizing how much beyond basic human morality she's now. In this sense she's not actively evil.
It's true that it's a rather easy way out to base the plot upon the old proveb about "Power corrupts etc.", but I think that this isn't necessarily a bad thing if they actually flesh out the hows and whys.

More
10 Jul 2014 21:53 #37245 by DarinSatre

d_k_c wrote: Could you provide references to these commonalities? I wouldn't mind checking them out

I'll have to go dig out the specific examples I was thinking of when I get home and get back to you. For the purposes of this discussion I'm lumping "insane" with "evil", which admittedly isn't exactly the same thing, but frequently gets treated as such in these sorts of stories. However, here's a quick jumping off point of how common this sort of thing is. I tend to not be a fan of TV Tropes a lot of times, but they can be useful for lists like this: With Great Power Comes Great Insanity or The Corruption

A lot of stories of this type either go with that or "I stop caring about you because I am so far beyond your level" like Doctor Manhattan. (Honestly, especially given the tone of what we've seen so far, I feel like the most likely outcomes are "she gets killed before she can destroy everything", "she dies under the weight of her own power", or "she decides to leave after being so far beyond everyone else". But maybe I'll be surprised!)

Love the icon, by the way. That's a great game, I just picked up Tropical Freeze over the weekend!

More
10 Jul 2014 22:10 #37247 by DarinSatre

Woodclaw wrote: I wouldn't consider her evil, but rather amoral. In the sense that she does what she does without fully realizing how much beyond basic human morality she's now. In this sense she's not actively evil.

See, I was kind of hoping for that too. Maybe that is what they're going for - I doubt they really want her to come off as completely evil. Even if she's not "good", I think she's still supposed to be seen as "better than the other guys".

I was on board with that until I saw the ending of the scene here. I mean, she just walks out and barely even waits for an answer before shooting one guy. Of all the ways to handle that, that's near the top of the "evil" list. She could have just pointed it at them or something without actually firing if she's really just trying to get away.

Of course, that sort of scene is also a common trope for your "badass antihero" character, so it's probably not meant to be taken as evil, but still.

More
11 Jul 2014 01:12 #37253 by Caylane
Replied by Caylane on topic First Lucy Clip
Sorry for really bringing that up ^^; Didnt really mean for it to get that intense.

More
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds