Amount

XENA! I mean Wonder Woman

26 Jul 2014 19:31 - 26 Jul 2014 19:42 #37491 by Markiehoe
XENA! I mean Wonder Woman was created by Markiehoe
They didn't even try:

I like how they took away all the American symbolism and added the Nazi eagle on her chest.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 26 Jul 2014 19:42 by Markiehoe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Jul 2014 19:42 #37492 by fats
Replied by fats on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
what a total disaster.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
26 Jul 2014 19:47 #37493 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Looks Wonder Woman-y enough I suppose.

All I care about is her using her powers on screen, though I'm sure it won't be much better than Faora's scenes in Man of Steel. At least she's not covered head-to-toe in armor.

More
26 Jul 2014 20:45 #37495 by Dr. Muttonchops
Replied by Dr. Muttonchops on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
That's honestly how I thought it would look.

• Dr. Muttonchops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jul 2014 20:51 #37496 by Scwank
Replied by Scwank on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Hard to tell if it will have some color to it (i.e., whether the muted look is as a result of the scene). With color, I like it. Without color, too much on the warrior side of the scale, not enough on the superheroine. But she looks great (I've never been a fan of the bodybuilder-type look). All in all, I give it a thumbs up. Could have been way worse. I did like the fan manip better that was circulating a while back.

More
26 Jul 2014 21:36 - 26 Jul 2014 21:39 #37497 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
I guess we can say with confidence now that they are maxing out the warrior princess thing. Xena with super-powers (presumably). But if so, that could still be fun. She looks the part.

I suppose she'll start off as a hardened, man-hating bad-ass warrior who will eventually prove to have a heart of gold. Pretty lazy characterization considering the options they had available, but I had feared worse.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2014 21:39 by shadar.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
26 Jul 2014 22:05 #37498 by castor
Replied by castor on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman

Dr. Muttonchops wrote: That's honestly how I thought it would look.

I'll agree with that.

To me it looks like the guy who designed the superman costume from Man of Steel was asked to design a Wonder Woman costume- which isn't the worst thing in the world. Man of Steel- not a great movie, but the costume isn't the problem with it, despite not Quite being the iconic superman suit.

Actually after watching Superman Return a couple of months ago, i realized how kind of silly that costume looked moving around- which didn't hurt the movie all that much, but the one thing that Man of Steel refused to do was be silly.

Which maybe one of its problem. Becuse if your not a little bit smiling with Wonder Woman your kind of doing it wrong. in the comics when its a completly serious book its not very fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Muttonchops

More
26 Jul 2014 23:29 #37501 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
I am just trying to soak in the pains of knowing Lucy could have been on my Blu-Ray shelf but sadly will not be. Had so much potential. Of course the whole 'we only use 10% of our brain' crap that Joe and Joan Sixpack still believe is utter crap.

But I digress.

Here is a better higher res photo of the new WW costume. I don't dislike it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Supergirlfan

• Sarge395
More
27 Jul 2014 02:33 #37502 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Wish it would have some more color to,it, but I can roll with this. Overall, not too bad IMO

ElF

More
27 Jul 2014 03:28 #37503 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
What about the Nazi Eagle on her chest?

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Jul 2014 03:38 #37504 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
I'm sorry, but was there ever even the slightest doubt that Superman V Batman would be shit? That everything even remotely related to it would be shit?

- GeekSeven

More
27 Jul 2014 04:13 #37505 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman

Markiehoe wrote: What about the Nazi Eagle on her chest?

In the absence of a swastika on the uniform, it's not a Nazi eagle, just an eagle. Eagles have been symbols of many things, including the United States of America. Equating the head of a bird of prey on a superheroine's uniform as Nazi symbolism seems to be stretching things a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the uniform, but not because of the eagle. I hate it because it lacks color. Wonder Woman, like Superman, is a colorful hero, and while you can get away with muting the colors a bit, you kind of need to preserve them just to keep her identity intact. As the thread title says, that looks more like Xena than Wonder Woman.

There are heroes who can pull off muted colors and still be recognizably themselves. Wolverine, for example, and Batman. Wonder Woman is not one of them.

More
27 Jul 2014 04:22 #37506 by Dru1076
Replied by Dru1076 on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Given that Wonder Woman cut her teeth in comcis kicking Nazi ass, I have VERY serious doubts that this is a Nazi eagle. I reckon you've drawn a long bow there...

I think it looks okay. Not great. Maybe not even particularly good...but it's okay.

More
27 Jul 2014 10:30 #37508 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Personally this is more or less what I expected out of it. It's a dark a very desaturated version of WW, but that was kind of expected, given the storyline they're working with. I'm not a fan of many details so far (the boots in particular looks kind of off to me), but they could have done much worst.
As for the lack of stars and garthers ... well I think that those were integral to some version of the character not all. Depending on how they handle the origin and background of this version this can be either a forgivable oversight, a coherent choice or a complete screw up.

As I said above, considering the overall tone of the MoS storyline that this is going to fit into, I think it's a decent work, but that's the extent of it.

More
27 Jul 2014 13:24 #37509 by Markiehoe
Check out how GREAT she looks with a little PATRIOTIC color!

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, Jabbrwock, Dr. Muttonchops, jyache

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Jul 2014 13:28 #37510 by dave147
Replied by dave147 on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
to be honest looking forward to see esp if we see wonder woman use super-powers for me storyline and special effects using her super-powers etc will be the key for me

dave

More
27 Jul 2014 13:45 #37511 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman

Markiehoe wrote: Check out how GREAT she looks with a little PATRIOTIC color!

Agree, very nice.

I'm optimistic that they will either add a little color to it like that. Also, a strong possibility is that the tone (costume, not the movie) wil be a little brighter when seen on film rather than a promotional poster still

E

More
27 Jul 2014 15:11 - 27 Jul 2014 19:18 #37513 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
But what's with the sword? I don't think WW, as opposed to Xena, has ever been a swordswoman. And it certainly seems anachronistic for a movie presumably set in the present as opposed to ancient times or the Middle Ages -- neither of which would have had a woman wearing a uniform like that.

--Brantley
Last edit: 27 Jul 2014 19:18 by brantley.

More
27 Jul 2014 15:18 #37514 by fats
Replied by fats on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
xena with sword

Fats

This message has attachments images.

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Jul 2014 19:19 #37516 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman

fats wrote: xena with sword

Fats

RIPOFF!!!!

More
27 Jul 2014 20:13 #37517 by j2001
Replied by j2001 on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
From Reddit

This image is hidden for guests.

:lol:

To me, the biggest problem is Gadot's face. She looks NOTHING like Wonder Woman. I can get over outfits and skinny bodies... but she really looks nothing like WW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Muttonchops, Markiehoe

More
28 Jul 2014 13:02 #37526 by mikeyfreedom
Replied by mikeyfreedom on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Wow, that's a lot of negativity towards something that could be horrendously worse (hands up who would prefer jeans and a leather jacket.... What, no one?). Someone's already nailed it. It looks like the guy who designed the MOS costume got told to design battle armour for a woman. it fits with the tone of the universe. Any patriotic colour scheme would come off cheesy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
28 Jul 2014 13:19 #37527 by Markiehoe
The RUMOR I just heard was that this is her Island costume and the "Real World" costume will be different.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Jul 2014 15:45 #37529 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Agreed...way too much hating going on. Let's embrace what she is: a warrior from an ancient tribe (that is essentially from another timeline). The MOS world is very different than the comic book universe. What is important is that the characters are internally consistent with the world we saw in MOS. I think this costume works for that.

Bottom line, nobody but the production team knows what WW should look like in SvB, given the movie is a re-imagining of the characters. But if there is one thing that WW has exemplified in every one of her many, diverse incarnations, is that she's the been the consummate female warrior. She uses a sword as her weapon and bracelets as part of her armor. I have complete confidence that we are going to see her famously deflect bullets with those bracelets.

There is a hint of her lasso at her side in that pict, or so it appears, but I'm hoping we won't see that ridiculous device used. Lasso of Truth or whatever its magic power is. A goofy concept, and too dated for prime time. Instead, if they do anything with it, show that its made of some amazing material that even Superman can't break and can't be cut.

Lastly, on a philosophical note, I wonder if there is a connection between American political conservatism and comic book conservatism? Both schools of thought believe that all good things happened in the past, are resistant to change and pessimistic about the future, and they are very judgemental. In the case of WW, they both wrap themselves in star-spangled displays of American patriotism. If we can say anything about MOS and its spin-offs, it's that they look forward and not back. So is there a lot of overlap between those two groups? Or is comic book conservatism its own phenomena?

mikeyfreedom wrote: Wow, that's a lot of negativity towards something that could be horrendously worse (hands up who would prefer jeans and a leather jacket.... What, no one?). Someone's already nailed it. It looks like the guy who designed the MOS costume got told to design battle armour for a woman. it fits with the tone of the universe. Any patriotic colour scheme would come off cheesy.

• shadar
More
28 Jul 2014 16:26 #37530 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic XENA! I mean Wonder Woman
Didn't people back in 1989 make a big fuss about Michael Keaton's all-black batsuit as well?

More
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds